was Lego Technic better in the early 2000s ?

Tahu3.0

Depends what you mean by "better". It definitely had some advantages. For instance, there were a lot more kid-oriented sets like Slizer, Roboriders, Competition, BIONICLE, and Speed Slammers. So if you prefer those kinds of sets, then yeah, it was probably better to you.

But with the more adult-oriented sets that Technic was basically created for, I think the sets today are WAY better than what the early naughts had to offer. I've only owned a few recent Technic sets (42009, 9396, and 8110), but what I have owned I've been thoroughly pleased with. The shift to mainly using studless beams instead of studded ones, and the shift to using more basic panels instead of the elaborate curved ones used in the late 90s and early naughts, have resulted in both better aesthetics and better functionality than what we had a decade and a half ago. The range of possible Technic functions has increased thanks to new parts like small Technic turntables and linear actuators. The parts used for steering and suspension on many models have improved greatly. And Power Functions motors, remote control transmitters, and remote control receivers cover a much wider range of uses than the more specialized motors and RC units from back in the day.

The only complaint I have about Technic these days is that it is not widely available in the United States — you can only really buy Technic sets at Toys 'R' Us, LEGO Brand Retail, and LEGOLAND parks, and often the release dates here in the United States are considerably delayed compared to the European release dates. Apparently it is not as popular over here as it is in Europe.

• Upvote 1