Question about the Vahki

Hi everyone i have a question about the Vahki, i know this may seem like a ridiculous question, but i just thought this was a little ironic, why is Vahki spelled the way it is when the names of the sets are spelled with a KH at the end, for example it would be VaHKi NuuraKH is there something I'm missing with the names being spelled the way they are? 

I remember even when i got my first Vahki's i wondered why that was like the Rahkshi are all spelled with an HK so i was just wondering why that was?

Thanks!

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

There's no rule stating that the names of the specific Vahki types would have to end with -ahk just because Vahki has the same thing within it.

However, if I had to guess, I'd say that they thought Vahki sounded better than Vakhi, but didn't want to have another set of villains with names that all ended in -ahk, as the Rahkshi had the same naming convention not long before.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Well...this might be a pretty ignorant explanation but Metru Nui was a combination of '1984' with the dystopia and Big Brother as well as the USSR. Look at the lettering and the propaganda. Look at how the Matoran are treated and those hella creepy Vahki animations. The spelling might even reflect the USSR/Soviet Russian pronunciation and spellings of things like that. The HK was a trope Bionicle already started: BoHroK and RaHKshi. So VaHKi makes sense. The NuuraKH, ZadaKH, KeeraKH however follow the more Russian pronunciations and spelling that are otherwise not found in Bionicle. Hope this sheds some light on your question.

Addendum:

The HK sound is softer than the KH sound. Tribal things usually have a softer more roll off of the tongue feel to them. Germanic, Russian, and even harsh and sometimes mean things have harder sounds like the KH. 

Think:

Honolulu

vs.

Reykjavik

One is tribal-ish and the other is very...not tribal

Edited by specsowl
  • Upvote 1

Well...this might be a pretty ignorant explanation but Metru Nui was a combination of '1984' with the dystopia and Big Brother as well as the USSR. Look at the lettering and the propaganda. Look at how the Matoran are treated and those hella creepy Vahki animations. The spelling might even reflect the USSR/Soviet Russian pronunciation and spellings of things like that. The HK was a trope Bionicle already started: BoHroK and RaHKshi. So VaHKi makes sense. The NuuraKH, ZadaKH, KeeraKH however follow the more Russian pronunciations and spelling that are otherwise not found in Bionicle. Hope this sheds some light on your question.

Addendum:

The HK sound is softer than the KH sound. Tribal things usually have a softer more roll off of the tongue feel to them. Germanic, Russian, and even harsh and sometimes mean things have harder sounds like the KH. 

Think:

Honolulu

vs.

Reykjavik

One is tribal-ish and the other is very...not tribal

Thanks for your great answer that makes a lot of sense actually

• Upvote 1

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros