Doodle-sketch

ZOMBI3S

That shading is so nice! Whenever I draw Kanohi (or anything really) I'm pretty good at drawing the actual shape, but it always ends up looking flat, and when I try to shade, it ends up... just bad. How did you do it? What are your tips on improving shading in particular?

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

That shading is so nice! Whenever I draw Kanohi (or anything really) I'm pretty good at drawing the actual shape, but it always ends up looking flat, and when I try to shade, it ends up... just bad. How did you do it? What are your tips on improving shading in particular?

Thank you!! It took a bit of work, but I'm fairly satisfied with it.

Honestly, I google-image searched for a high resolution picture of a Hau, and based my shading off of that. I always make my shading lines run in the same direction, and try to make them fade as gradually as possible. With things like Kanohi, rarely are there any surfaces that require a quick fade, and those that do you can usually get by with just drawing a line. I try to save cross-hatching for the darkest shadows, but that's entirely up to you. I just think single-lined shading looks a lot nicer, assuming they're all running in the same direction of course.

I hope that helps!

K29vRpU.jpg

REVIEW TOPIC

• 2 weeks later...

Well your artistic abilities don't seem so "limited" to me ;)
I really like both the drawing and the concept. Kanohi are often difficult to draw, especially if slightly turned, but this Hau turned out good. The face is very expressive.
Is the writing a reference to a song or something?

(For those who are yoo lazy to translate, it's "Shield me from the dark. Lead me to the light").

hidron_nuva_idea.png

Well your artistic abilities don't seem so "limited" to me ;)

I really like both the drawing and the concept. Kanohi are often difficult to draw, especially if slightly turned, but this Hau turned out good. The face is very expressive.

Is the writing a reference to a song or something?

(For those who are yoo lazy to translate, it's "Shield me from the dark. Lead me to the light").

Aw, well thank you!! And nope! My thought process was mostly along the lines of, "What little slogan can I throw in here that sounds and looks cool when written out in Bionicle language?"

But you're welcome to think I'm a deep, brooding artist if you want. I don't mind.

K29vRpU.jpg

REVIEW TOPIC