Are matoran self aware?

For the most part, they understand that their bodies are built, and that the mechanical parts don't grow naturally.

But it's a piece of knowledge that is only preserved if they have a stable archive of knowledge and system of science education. On Mata Nui, their memories were wiped out. It's not necessarily clear what they did or didn't retain of their scientific knowledge, but I always thought that part of the appeal back in 2001 was that they were a primitive, tribal and supersticious culture, who beleived in spirits and legends and it was completely over their heads that their bodies are advanced technology. It was a mystery exactly where they came from, which, at that time, even we, the readers didn't know. If they had no concept of robotics, and nothing other than their own bodies looked like that, they would have no way to even suspect that there was anything weird about it.

For the most part, they understand that their bodies are built, and that the mechanical parts don't grow naturally.

But it's a piece of knowledge that is only preserved if they have a stable archive of knowledge and system of science education. On Mata Nui, their memories were wiped out. It's not necessarily clear what they did or didn't retain of their scientific knowledge, but I always thought that part of the appeal back in 2001 was that they were a primitive, tribal and supersticious culture, who beleived in spirits and legends and it was completely over their heads that their bodies are advanced technology. It was a mystery exactly where they came from, which, at that time, even we, the readers didn't know. If they had no concept of robotics, and nothing other than their own bodies looked like that, they would have no way to even suspect that there was anything weird about it.

Well that only answers a part of my question, But if they didnt have any knowledge about robotics, then how did nuparu made the boxor?

Edited by Fabioman84

Well that only answers a part of my question, But if they didnt have any knowledge about robotics, then how did nuparu made the boxor?

He slapped some metal on metal and put a bit of Krana juice on it as glue, and voila! You got yourself a fighting mech thingy!

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I must confess, I don't understand why the question is necessary -- how could they fail to know they are biomechanical?

If you're asking, are they "sentient" (self-aware), Greg confirmed yes, and pointed out that even animals are self-aware (it's a common misconception that they are not). The proper term for the distinction between humans and animals is "sapient" -- possessing human-level wisdom potential. Greg likewise confirmed that Matoran are "sapient".

If you're asking if they understand the molecular intricacy of their biology, highly unlikely. How far their knowledge of their organic (and protodermic) nature goes is uncertain, and likely generally very slim. Of course, our own knowledge of such things is still very limited despite massive strides recently, but even in the Dark Ages, we certainly knew we were "biological" (although the language has changed -- but point is such words were simply the labels used to describe "what we're made of"). And they wouldn't be aware that protodermic biology is radically different the closer you "zoom in" from Agori biology (since they didn't know anything beyond their own world).

If asking, do they understand the mechanical side of it, absolutely yes; they are confirmed to know how to rebuild themselves. They make the new design of the mechanical side, and the organic alters itself automatically to adapt to it, growing new connective tissue, etc.

if they didnt have any knowledge about robotics, then how did nuparu made the boxor?

Matoran probably have little in the way of what we would call "robotics" -- that is why we use the term "mechanical" specifically. Mechanical principles used in Matoran, for sure, are just "metal parts" and "pivots." The sets sometimes included gears, but it's unclear if these actually were present in most biomechical lifeforms -- regardless, gears and pistons and suchnot are incredibly simple -- nowhere near "advanced technology." As long as you get the shapes right you can make them out of just about anything solid, such as wood. (Ga-Koro had a waterwheel made of seashells, for example.) So they know basic mechanical principles.

Now, to your question here specifically, what are Bohrok? They're called robots. But we don't know if that means "advanced electronics" or if the majority of their bodies, other than the robotic processors in their core (that take over when the Krana are missing), might just be the same basic mechanical principles as Matoran. If so, then all Nuparu had to do was use the parts, and use mechanical principles.

However, they clearly knew a bit beyond this, as the Boxor are "powered" by heatstones. But exactly how that works is not known. It seems like crystalline channeling of heat, such as Nuparu's welder. Probably heat is captured somehow in the mechanism he made and used to amplify the mechanical power of the Boxor.

Alternatively, he could have simply experimented a little on the Bohrok parts, if they are more advanced, to figure out how they work. Also don't forget that by that time they'd had a thousand years to experiment to learn more about physics than just basic mechanics, and the Turaga did recall much that they could pass on if necessary.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

It's also a story written to sell a toy to kids. They can have no understanding of robotics, but have one guy who can figure it out because he's a genius and you don't question it because you're ten.

As adult fans, it's fun to try to make sense of it, but sometimes it just takes a little suspension of disbelief.