Have You Moved On?

Triggons

Oh, right. College. Spoiler alert for the young'ns: college replaces so many things once you get there.

This man also has the right of it. College is quite a change from school (and life in general) before it.
The point about college is very valid. Really, when I look back part of my losing touch with BZPower and the BIONICLE community as a whole came from college rather than from BIONICLE ending. BIONICLE ending just, for a while, kept me from having a reason to come back after I had finally learned to manage my time in a way that allows for more online socializing.College did help bring me back towards LEGO themes in general and away from BIONICLE in particular. For my first semester, my twin brother and I (who are roommates) had our full collection of 2009 BIONICLE sets with us, including several we had gotten from Brickfair. But we discovered, through the Brickmaster magazine's Glatorian Building Contest and other things, that BIONICLE is a hard theme to MOC with if you don't have a full collection at your disposal. Making models with cohesive color schemes that still feel unique compared to the sets they're made from can be very difficult sometimes! This is part of the reason I was happy to give up action figure themes entirely when BIONICLE ended and Hero Factory began. I loved the concept of Hero Factory, but I felt my money was better spent on System themes with more visually-compatible parts and consistent color schemes-- for instance, Power Miners and Atlantis. The second wave of Hero Factory helped bring me back to collecting action figure themes, and thus helped me come back closer to the BIONICLE community. The new building system makes it so that even with just a set or two you can easily re-configure the parts to create a unique-looking character. Naturally, though, this would have been no excuse for limiting myself to just a set or two, and my brother and I managed to collect most of the sets from the second wave. All this time I maintained ties with some friends from the BIONICLE community through social-networking and artwork-sharing sites, and also through the online AFOL communities that are now about as big a part of my life as BZPower. I still ramble a lot when talking about the BIONICLE sets and storyline, and feel nostalgia for the theme in many respects. But I don't think you have to let go of something entirely to properly "move on"-- you just have to loosen your grip a bit and make room in your life for other things. I certainly love BIONICLE, but themes like Hero Factory and Ninjago provide variety and relief from the amount of dedication BIONICLE demanded from me when it was still running.

I don't MoC much with bionicle anymore. I have moved on from Bionicle in a sense, but I think bionicle will always be a part of my life. I spent 9 years doing it. It's how I grew up, I won't ever forget it. I will probably always remember the sets, storyline, comics, names, and fun times I had. I enjoy Hero Factory now. I try not to let bionicle control my life though. I still love Lego Bricks and probably always will.

Yeah, I have. I mean, it's not like I'll never write about it, talk about it, or buy anything Bionicle-related again; I'll always be a fan, but I'm just not as interested in it as I used to be. I figure that, as long as there is a universe I can create within Bionicle, I won't ever walk away from it. There's always something to talk about or write about, and there are some sets I still want to have but probably won't get, sadly. I've moved on, but I won't leave it behind. :)

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I pretty much know of the main sets, i never really looked into the back stories. I still like the sets as much and haven't lost a bit of intrest in the series BUT i have a liking toward Hero Factory. I MOC and do stop motions with both BIONICLE and HF.So i haved moved and kinda haven't in some ways.

naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gifNacuu's Slow Dance!!naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gif

I disagree with the college point, but maybe that's because I'm a pretty apathetic student. If you move to college, especially, I can see that having a fairly big impact; less space for all your stuff, etc. I'm still living at home, and I don't really pay attention to school (not that I'm doing bad, quite the opposite XP) so I have a lot more time to devote to BIONICLE and LEGO and general; more time, in fact, than I actually had in high school (and even moreso because I don't have a job at the moment). It's easier than it seems to have the time, but the space I can see being an issue. If I've moved on, it's simply because the story has stagnated and there aren't any more sets. All I see at the moment are unrealistic and self-destructive attempts to keep BIONICLE "alive" by flogging the proverbial dead horse. I'm not saying there can't be rich discussion on the line, for there's plenty of stuff to still know and debate, but I'm not seeing it. BZP had a generally toxic attitude that isn't very conducive to discussion, but managed to overcome this through sheer number of people still willing to try. After going down for a ridiculous six (five and a half if you want to be technical, sue me for rounding) months, that pretty much killed all reasonable chance of something interesting happening.

Yes, I have moved on. I'm glad Lego is trying something new with Hero Factory. I'm also happy with the ten years of joy Bionicle gave me and many others.

Edited by Superbionicle

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

Only in small ways. I have to do more things as far as school and life but I do come back to bionicle related things occasionally. I wish I still had my comics but I lost em. If anyone knows of an archive that would be sweet.

There's a group here on BZP that's done just that; you can find all the comics here.http://www.bzpower.c...p?showtopic=369Returning to the topic at hand, as I've stated before I still hold quite a fondness for the series, so in that sense I haven't moved on; but it's a fondness in the way that I'm fond of other long-gone franchises. After all, I'm still fond of the Soul Blazer trilogy for the SNES, and there's no way that's ever coming back; I'm not going to obsess over it, but I can still enjoy it fir what it was. Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42