The artistic style didn't quite change beween the miramax trilogy and the legend reborn

HeartOfMetruNui

At first glance, I tought that the artistic style was vastly different between the miramax film trilogy and TLR.

The character had actual "faces" behind their mask/helmet. eyes were now square-ish and blue, the models had teeth, etc.

But then, I noticed that at the beginning of TLR, the matoran actually look like the miramax ones: (see attached images)

The eyes are red dots, and they have the same "mouth" movement they had before. The eyebrows behave the same way they did before.

Now, there *is* the obvious difference of the part accuracy - the miramax trilogy have notoriously changend the bodies and mask, some to the point of not even reminding their physical counterparts (AKA, Vakama's great huna as Toa). In TLR the part accuracy is near perfect, even on the matoran.

But you know what? it's nice to see that TLR creators honored the original style before changing it to their own. Ofcourse there's the in-universe reason for the agori/gladtorian to look different from the matoran universe beings, but I really adore this slight callback at the beginning.

vlcsnap-2019-10-31-22h24m27s088.png

vlcsnap-2019-10-31-22h24m51s736.png

vlcsnap-2019-10-31-22h24m27s088.png

Very good analysis. I was thinking the same thing when I see that. You see, Matoran Universe people always look like that in all four movies, as they are cyborgs. The Glatorian and Agori, on the other hand, are organic people wearing armor (How their mouths make their Iron-Man-like heads loom like skinless skulls. Lol.). 

Speaking of Matoran Universe people, I wonder if the Matoran species actually have mouths, like you know, with upper and lower jaws rather than those button things for mouths being their masks. I mean, how would they eat? I know that they absorb food like sponges, but I am just curious. 

In the Bionicle 2015 Online Animations, the people actually have jaws. However, in Bionicle: The Journey to One, they don't have mouths for some reason. 

Anyway, it's nice that TLR seemingly copied the style of the Miramax films.:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)