Rhotuka Reflections

Aderia

Reading on BS01 recently, and I came across this interesting tidbit that said a character's Rhotuka power is essentially an expression of their morals/values. This is different for Rahi, exceptionally intelligent/sapient Rahi excluded, and explains why the Toa Hordika had elemental spinners (maybe, but debatable. Elemental spinners could also come from powers 'derived from that character's morals, ethics, and affinities', affinity being elemental in their case. ).  I really like this concept, I think it adds a lot of layers or potential layers to characters.

1369618721_ScreenShot2020-05-27at1_54_26PM.png.fc369e7f34c6f3f0037001dc19cfd823.png 
(click screenshot for source link and convenient list of known Rhotuka powers and those they belong to)

So it would be interesting to see how aligned Rhotuka powers would pan out along the general good/evil divide. Example, Roodaka's mutation spinners make sense to me, as she plays so many different sides. Only she can really undo the mutations, which I think lines up with her ultimate allegiance to herself, and twisting others to do her bidding, whether literally or not, and she's holding all the cards in the end. Another example - Sidorak, according to BS01 held a position of minor importance on Stelt, his homeland, so developing a Rhotuka that commands obedience and thus gives him more and more power also works really well. 

It also appears Rhotuka powers may be able to change when one goes through a life-altering experience (reflective of a shift of an individual's moral/value structure? Like a Patronus, but for Bionicle, I guess), as evidenced in Toa Norik and Iruini, who had slowing and healing Rhotuka, respectively, and once they were mutated, their Rhotuka changed ability. 

Anyways, I'm interested in any insights you might have for characters and their Rhotuka powers, or what powers think characters may manifest were they to develop the Rhotuka ability.  

Some rabbit trail ramblings resulting from a combination of too much unstructured free time and unfettered BS01 browsing below.

Reveal hidden contents

So anyways, overall, I like the idea of Rhotuka spinners, and the 'based off a character's morals' was really interesting, but then thinking more about it and how little solid info we really have to go on, they do kind of seem redundant. They were good for sets ('good' being used as a generic adjective, I unfortunately never got into the sets, so I have no clue if they were actually good or not), but leaving the fourth wall intact, here are some further thoughts: 

- Spherus Magna residents can they use or be affected by Rhotuka powers, or not?  (edit: some old topics with some good discussion about Spherus Magna residents here and here. Look but don't touch.)

- Rhotuka versus Kanohi. To me, it would make sense, story-wise, if Rhotuka powers were much more difficult to initially manifest than mask powers. (counterpoint, how were Toa Hordika, wrought with internal conflict and wrestling down animalistic rage able to master the spinners?)  That would explain why not every Toa and whoever wants one has one. Or perhaps some cultural element, like after the Toa Hagah team fell from grace, and others followed suit, Rhotuka kind of took on a bad connotation, and eventually became associated with fallen Toa and Rahi beasts? Also, what are the advantages of a spinner versus a Kanohi? They're clearly not mutually exclusive abilities, although someone having both would be potentially a ridiculous amount of power. Like, what use would a Makuta have for a Rhotuka, when they already have every power imaginable? Also, to what extent does one's mask power shape their personality and what they value? Is it a coincidence that Matau was the most vain of the Toa Metru, and he had a mask that let him change his appearance? Or that Nokama often played the peacemaker and negotiator, and that she had a mask that let her continue to solve conflict across language barriers? I use examples from the Toa Metru because they're my favorite most familiar, and additional and/or counter examples are welcome. Brutaka, a know scholar, with a mask that gives him the ability to collect knowledge from beyond the limits of his own dimension (perhaps a bit of a stretch, but conceivable. Maybe they're all a bit of a stretch. Shrug.). Tahu has a protective nature, has a mask of shielding. At what point do Rhotuka and Kanohi become redundant redundant? Because, if I were to give Tahu a Rhotuka power based on a trait or value, it would have to do with the protective-leader thing he has going on. 

- An example with the peacemaker role - the value would be harmony, but that's kind of hard to derive an offensively useful Rhotuka power for, especially if it might break the Toa Code or be considered immoral, like certain Kanohi powers are. A conceivable Rhotuka power for this example could be rendering the target docile, catatonic, similar to some Vahki staffs, but would a Toa consider this immoral? 

- Another issue with trying to figure out what spinner powers may manifest comes up, spinners are mostly offensive, whereas mask powers can be both/either. The one canon exception is Toa Iruini's healing spinner. Toa Iruini's BS01 page also states that he can't use his healer Rhotuka on himself. Would this hold true for all Rhotuka users? 

- How much control does one have over the effects of the Rhotuka? It seems like Roodaka can control very precisely the mutuations or un-mutations. I think I remember the Toa Hordika being able to 'power up' their spinners. Is it in the mental command, whether the spinner creates a pillar of stone or a pile of boulders? How long does Sidorak's obedience spinner control someone? How long does Varian's put someone to sleep? etc. etc. 

That's all I've got for now, but I hope y'all will give me more to go through! 

• Upvote 1

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic