Prototype Axalara Set

Skybird

As some of you may know, I recently came into ownership of the Prototype Axalara T9 set that was featured in the New York International Toy Fair held in early Feb of 2008. The set can be seen alongside several other Phantoka and Mistika era sets there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/no_onions/2276974074/in/photostream

This was a trade only event not open to the public. I came across this from a Goodwill in connecticut of all places, which struck me as odd initially, until I remembered that Lego's US Headquarters in there. Still turning up in pristine condition 15 years later is unbelievable.

The set uses several parts from what I have learned produced by a process called "Powder Bed Infusion" which is a method of 3D printing used in several industries to prototype objects, as it produces highly durable and fine parts from a variety of materials. This process was also used by Lego since at least the early 2000s, as a prototype Rahkshi made with the process popped up on Ebay not long ago.

It took me some time to track down photos, but one way I was able to confirm that this was the same model and not a copy was by the use of Sticky Tack which can be seen on the function "knobs" in some of the photos in the link above. These appear to be the exact same as the model in hand.

A minor difference is the tan 3L frictionless pins on the bottom front of the model, connected to the opening panels, is replaced by a red bushing pin in the prototype. This was not caught on the box art however, which shows the bushing pin in the final model, which is incorrect.

However, the most significant difference in the model is the mask and visor, both are fairly different from the final product.

I am hoping to find out more about this and how it ended up where it did. Either way, I am not complaining about owning a piece of history, let along a flagship.

Screenshot_20230704-205930~2.png

Screenshot_20230701-121446~2.png

• Like 4

Happy you were able to get something so cool! I’m sure something like this would have to be a crown jewel in your collection, I would have to imagine that that’s the largest prototype set we’ve seen actually pass hands! And I mean, the Axalara is just downright cool to begin with.

Wow!  This is so cool!  Even though the mask design did change, it’s actually pretty close to the final design.  I wonder if some of the design differences were because this design had to be printed.  Regardless, this is an insanely cool find!  Congrats on obtaining such a neat part of BIONICLE history!

Edited by Daler99

~Daler