Legends Poll: Naho

Legends Poll: Naho  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

legendsoflhii.pngVote here for your favorite Legends of Lhii story; entries have been randomized. Please MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL ENTRIES BEFORE VOTING.Voting begins now and will end on June 2nd at 11:59 PM EST. Entries that do well will move on to the Legends of Lhii Final Poll, which will be posted at the conclusion of the 12th round preliminary poll.

• [*]Eyes Vakama looked around him. Fire from the middle of the amaja circle illuminated the eager faces of matoran, each waiting intently for the turaga of fire to begin. He smiled. Vakama was glad that at least some still wanted to hear the stories of an old turaga. He searched the crowd to find Jaller. He always attended. If only he knew. The turaga thought. With the toa faced against hordes of bohrok, and destruction everywhere, dark times were upon the matoran. Although the matoran were exited for another tale of the great Lhii, Vakama saw something different in the matoran. Vakama relized that most of the faces in the small crowd were anxious, and their eyes seemed opaque and still. It seemed the only real light came from the small fire. Vakama began. "Welcome, my friends, to yet another ledgend of Lhii, the Ta-Matoran of bravery and skill." The fire almost seemed to glow in certain parts, forming a blurry picture. Through the fire the waves lapping the shore of Mata Nui seemed to transform into waves of lava and heat. The Ta-Matoran peered down the river of molten lava. A fairly large wave surged forward. Lhii readied his lava board. This will be fun. In the opposite direction Lhii could see a bank, in which several matoran stood. Some were of his village, and some were just wearly travellers who decided to make a quick stop. Lhii waved to the matoran, and they seemed eager to see him surf. The wave was approaching. Lhii readied his board, but something stopped him. A sharp cracked occured. Lhii looked to the bank to see a chunk of rock that split away. On that rock was a fearful Le-Matoran. Lhii began to ready himself. The Le-Matoran was now in the middle of the river. Vakama looked around at the matoran. They all seemed transfixed on the fire, as if the flame was telling the story. A Po-Matoran looked up at the turaga. "Something wrong turaga?" Vakama shook his head. "No, nothing wrong." He continued. Lhii paddled towards the chunk of rock. He hopped on, and looked at the terrified matoran. "Are you alright?" He replied, a bit shaky. "Oh, ever-great. We wave-surf all the time in Le-Koro." Lhii ignored the matoran. The wave picked up the rock. Balancing it, Lhii began to surf. Swaying back and forth. Eeventually the two matoran reached a nearby bank. The Le-Matoran jumped to shore. "Thank you! You're like a toa-hero!" The matoran ran off, but the words stuck with Lhii, forever. Vakama swiped his staff through the fire. It went out, but it seemed to go on. Many small, bright eyes stared at vakama, and it seemed to him that they lit up the amaja circle. Vakama stood up. "Along with tonight's story comes a lesson." Vakama peered at the many of eyes. "No matter how bad things get, you can help your own kind. The toa came as protectors, and I think we need to learn to protect ourselves." The matoran began to disperse. The Po-Matoran from before came up to vakama, and simply said "thank you." -----[*]The Final Tale “Gather round, friends,” Turaga Vakama whispered, “And listen to the final tale of Lhii, a Ta-Matoran forgotten by all of you…but because of my tales, no longer. This is how he met his end, and how he was remembered by all Ta-Matoran fondly afterward.” Lihkan, this is for you, Vakama thought, the name of his long-dead Toa friend echoing in his mind as he began to speak quietly. --- The light of the lava lamps mingled with the gleam of the sunlight above as Lhii sped on his Lava Board across the volcanic crater, slowly picking up speed. The wind blew lazily past him, slowly gaining in intensity as Lhii’s lava board picked up speed. The Ta-Matoran smiled behind his mask. Today, the conditions for lava surfing were perfect. He wouldn’t have missed it for anything. Later today, he’d heard, a group of Ta-Matoran was gathering at a well-known lava crater, the Tren Krom Break, for a surfing competition. Lhii didn’t plan to enter. He was the greatest lava surfer in his day, only his friend, the Matoran Jaller, could come close to him, so why enter a competition he was sure to win? Nowadays, he preferred to surf alone. Lhii was picking up speed. He was moving faster and faster across the surface of the lava, inches from the edge of a massive crest of red molten rock. Lhii sped over it and flew through the air, landing on his board with the accomplished skill of a practiced lava surfer. He rode the flows for several minutes before gathering speed and tearing across the crater once more. Suddenly Lhii saw a massive, jagged outcropping approaching. He hadn’t expected one this large; then again, he reminded himself, this wasn’t one of the more often used Ignalu trails. He veered to one side, avoiding the outcropping entirely. However, he had no time to breathe before he saw a jagged precipice straight ahead of him. Still this was no trouble for Lhii, though it might have killed a less experienced lava surfer. His board turned in the opposite direction, and he began to pick up speed on the crest of a lava flow. All at once, while he was still rising on the crest of a lava flow, Lhii’s board slammed against something hard and sharp. Lhii had just enough time to look down before he was thrown from his board- and into the lava below. There was no time for him to think, only a moment of shock, then blistering pain. And then Lhii was gone. --- “We searched for hours,” said Vakama. “You do not remember, any of you, but we finally found his body, not washed into the craters below as you might think, but caught on the edge of a jagged rock in the middle of the trail. And so it was that Lhii, greatest of the Matoran lava surfers and second only to Tahu himself perished. He was fondly remembered by all Ta-Matoran.” As his tale concluded, Vakama turned away. He wondered how he would ever tell the crowd of Ta-Matoran who had listened to his story of “Lhii” that there had never been such a Matoran, but a Toa and Turaga instead called Lhikan. And how he would ever bring himself to tell the tale of Metru Nui- and the reason that the Matoran had to return there one day. -----[*]Lost in the Woods “You have all heard the tales of Lhii's skill and lavaboarding prowess. Today I shall tell you a different tale. One of bravery and courage.” Vakama cleared his throat. “The Charred Forest is a treacherous place, filled with many dangers. There are some who can walk its paths safely, and many who cannot. It was into this forest that one of Lhii's friends, seeking to prove his bravery, ventured. He did not know the forest, and so he became lost. The next morning, when he had not returned, Lhii entered the forest to search for him, though he did not know the way either. “Much time past in the forest, and still Lhii had not found his friend. Hunger and thirst came upon him, but still he searched. Even as the light began to dim, he did not give up. He searched on. And so it was that as the final light of day was lost beneath the horizon, a mysterious voice spoke to Lhii.” At this, Vakama's voice deepened, becoming a shallow, gravelly sound. “'Your friend is lost. He has strayed too far and cannot leave. But with my help, he can be found again.'” “'And what would you ask in return?' said Lhii, for he knew better than to trust that which he could not see.” “'A favour, no more. One day I shall ask something of you, and you shall do it. That is all.' “'Will you lead us out of the forest? For as you see, I too am lost,' said Lhii. “'I shall guide you, but only if you agree to serve me when I ask,' the voice replied. “'lead my friend and I from this forest, and I shall do whatever you ask of me.' “'then follow the wind, and you shall find your friend' said the voice. At that moment, a strong breeze started. Lhii followed and, sure enough, he soon found his friend huddled under a tree. The two embraced each other, glad at last to be reunited, but the voice soon returned. “'I have led you to your friend. Agree to serve my will, and you shall be free. Refuse, and you shall be trapped in this forest for all eternity!' “But Lhii had tricked the voice. 'I am no fool. I knew that I would become lost, and so I marked the trees as I walked. I can find my own way, and need no help from you.' “The voice erupted with a thunderous roar. 'You agreed to serve me, Lhii! I have led you to your friend and now, you must do what I demand!' “'Recall my words, spirit. I agreed only to serve you if you led me from the forest. But you shall not lead me. I am Lhii, greatest lava surfer in all Ta Koro! I know you for what you are, spirit, and the will of Makuta shall never be mine! We Matoran shall never give up until we are free of you, and free we shall be!' With that, Lhii and his friend ran from the forest, leaving the howls and curses of Makuta behind them. “And so it was that Lhii braved the wrath of Makuta himself, all to save but one Matoran.” Before returning to his hut, Vakama turned once more to the Matoran. “Take from this tale what you will. It is for you they are told, and it is you who must learn what they mean, to you and to all Ta Matoran.” -----[*]Inferno “Gathered friends,” Vakama began, “Listen again to the legend of Lhii the Matoran.” Neir sat with the other Matoran, gathered about the Turaga of Fire as he stared into the darkness surrounding them. Neir, however, gazed at the leaping licks of flame in the centre of the rough circle they had formed, mesmerised. Something about the light of a fire frightened him, for reasons he could not explain. He had asked Vakama about it, in hushed and embarrassed tones, and the Turaga had smiled and explained that it was all right to be afraid. Though he did not elaborate further, Neir had felt oddly comforted. As the Turaga spoke, an odd feeling came over him. A memory, perhaps? It felt like a memory of a dream, far-off and blurred. Still, it drifted over him, and he closed his eyes, but he still saw the warm glow of the fire… “One dark, stormy night, a bolt of lightning slashed down from the heavens and set a supply of wood and tar alight, causing angry crimson flames to run free amongst the homes of sleeping Matoran. Among the buildings that were being engulfed by the flames was the home of a quiet, well-mannered Matoran, who did not escape like the others did…” ~~~ FIRE! Neir screamed, black, deathly smoke choking him off. Around him, there was nothing but flames, leaping higher and higher, licking at the roof and devouring the walls. Sinister shades of orange pierced every corner, every single thing in sight engulfed by it. ~~~ “It seemed that all hope was lost, when Lhii ran from the darkness and leapt into the flaming doorway like the Makuta himself was on his heels. But no fear crossed his eyes as he searched for the Matoran…” ~~~ There was a crash, and a voice shouting his name. Neir screamed at it, stumbled towards it, but even as he did, a tall figure ran at full speed towards him. Red and gold armour slammed into view, but Neir was grateful. He held the figure tightly. ~~~ “Lhii found the Matoran, and bravely helped him escape the savagely burning house…” ~~~ Neir felt himself being placed on the ground but he did not dare let go. Not until he heard a gentle, calm voice tell him it was all right, and he was safe. Neir looked up at a golden mask, smiling gently, and his grip slackened. The figure stood and walked towards the flames, and as he did, he glowed, and he absorbed the flames into his own body… ~~~ “And, with the Matoran safe, he used his wits to expunge the flames, by… Am I boring you, Neir?” Neir awoke with a snort. Around him, Matoran were chuckling, and he ducked his head as low as he could. “S-Sorry Turaga, I… I’m sorry.” “Quite all right, Neir. Now, where was I…?” ~~~ After the tale was told and the other Matoran were either leaving or gone, Neir gulped and walked up to Turaga Vakama, who was sitting and staring up at the stars. “Turaga, I’m really very sorry, I was dreaming, and-“ “- It is all right, Neir. Tell me, what did you dream?” “It was the story, Turaga, I think. I was somewhere with lots of fire, and then someone saved me. But he didn’t wear a Pakari, he wore a Hau. And he was very tall, for a Matoran.” Vakama smiled, his eyes twinkling like the stars he was gazing at. “Ah. That would make sense, I think.” “What was that, Turaga?” “Nothing, Neir. Nothing.” -----[*]Lhii and the Grain Hunter This tale occurred many moons ago, before you all came to the island Mata Nui... When Ta-Matoran checked the village’s food stores the morning after our weekly harvest, they had all vanished. It was widely believed that a Matoran had stolen the food, and so for the next week’s harvest, I stationed two guards by the stores; both guards awoke the next day with dents in their Kanohi and claw marks on their limbs. I knew no Matoran could leave such marks, and so I ascertained a Rahi was entering the village. Lhii was still, as my friend Matau would say, “leaf-stuck” — fun-loving, always with his head in the clouds. He was known then not for heroism, only for his lava-surfing skills. But that week, he was in a sullen mood; he refused to enter a lava-surfing competition and instead visited me during my meditation. He told me that without action, Ta-Koro’s society would kneel under the pressure of dissidence. I agreed with him, but what was I to do? After days of persuasion, Lhii convinced me to assign more guards to the stores. Reluctantly, I concurred, armed Lhii and several other Ta-Matoran appropriately, and stayed awake during a long and anxious night. The next morning, Lhii and another Matoran knocked on my door. Upon answering, I was told that the Rahi had struck again. Lhii had seen it clearly: a lithe quadruped with claws on its extremities, an extended neck, and a series of spikes along its spine. I had heard about sightings of such a creature before, but it was Lhii who called it a Grain Hunter. He said that it had entered and navigated the village like a shadow; it had then come upon the Matoran guards and struck down three before the other four had driven it out of Ta-Koro. At a loss for ideas, I asked Lhii for a course of action. He paced until, at length, he stopped and explained: I was to assemble a great lava-boat constructed from the same materials as lava-boards, and dangle it over the largest lava flow available; the week’s harvest was to be placed in the lava-boat and a trail leading from Ta-Koro’s gates to the boat. The Rahi would follow the trail and enter the boat, which would fall into the lava flow and bring the Grain Hunter into the ocean. I agreed. The Ta-Matoran and I spent five days constructing a boat large enough; on the sixth day, we took a small part of our harvest and placed it in the boat, leaving the rest with farmers. Lhii volunteered to lay out the trail and watch for the Grain Hunter the night of the seventh day. I joined him, and we lay in wait. We waited till our eyes were heavy. Only then did the Grain Hunter come. It sniffed the food we left out for it and followed the trail. With bated breath, Lhii and I followed. It stopped at the precipice of the boat — I worried, but in vain, for the Rahi entered the boat. I heard a yelp as the boat tipped into the lava, and then silence as the boat was borne from Ta-Koro. Free of the Rahi, the rest of our grain stores were brought into Ta-Koro. That week, Matoran celebrated our victory over meals laden with grains. Lhii’s name was mentioned but sparingly; even so, I knew of his certainty to become someone more. Lhii was still known as a Ta-Matoran then. Now, we know him as a hero. All it took was a catalyst. Remember that, all of you. -----[*]Lhii and the Proto Drake “Gathered friends,” Turaga Vakama began, “listen again as I tell you another legend of the Bionicle.” Yellow eyes peer in from the darkness, either eager to hear the story and get away from work. Vakama‘s staff plunges into the fire and he begins telling his story… A usual sight on Mata Nui is the scaled head of a Proto Drake breaking the surface of a lava pool. Sometimes they are regarded as good luck with Ta-Matoran, but today its crazed eyes and thrashing movements did not bode well. A large fin swept overhead, dripping lava on a lava farmer as it crashes nearby. The red Matoran panicked and ran to Vakama, the terror in his eyes immediately quenching Vakama’s usual calm assurances. The Turaga of Fire gazed out from his hut for someone willing to combat the foe, and he found Lhii waiting for the Turaga’s instruction, Lavaboard in hand. Knowing he would need more help, he took Nidki, the expert on Rahi from Le-Koro, Neh and Tohe, the best surfers in Ga-Koro, four Matoran of Ice for their quick sight, and three others strong enough to grab the beast. By the time the Matoran had reached the lava pool, the Proto Drake had beaten the lava into a hurricane-like storm, with twenty bio tall waves crashing against the edges. Lhii took one look and jumped into the fray, with the two Ga-Matoran following after. The anxious Ko-Matoran, already feeling the heat, tried to keep a watchful eye on the surfers and Rahi. Days turned into weeks as the small group tried to break through the waves and get to the Rahi. Lhii’s Onu-Matoran netter clung onto the board, exhausted from the motion, while Lhii himself shot ahead, flying over wave after wave, but getting stopped at the last moment by the Proto Drake. These ceaseless attempts were just enough to keep the Rahi from flying off and wreaking havoc in another Koro. Finally, an exhausted Lhii cried “Fall back!” and the surfers rode with their netters to the shore where sleeping Ko-Matoran waited. It was not to stop their efforts, as the rest of the group unhappily found out, but to strategize a better way to get into the clear zone. During this break, the Proto Drake dodged underneath the lava into volcanic tubes leading under the island, shocking the Matoran. Without hesitation, in all his bravery, Lhii started paddling furiously into the calming pool. The Ga-Matoran tried to follow, but stopped as he disappeared on the Rahi’s wake. The four Ko-Matoran ran back to tell Vakama what had happened. All of their discomfort was forgotten, and they ran as fast as Pohatu carrying their news of Lhii’s supposed death. Vakama began walking to the lava pool along with the rest of Ta-Koro when suddenly, the pool below boiled and the Proto Drake shot out of it, its pained eyes set on the village of fire. The Ta-Matoran and their Turaga could only watch as the beast charged at their home, until a scorched Lhii followed after it. His armor was red hot and covered in ash, and yet with the strength of Onua he grabbed the clawed tail of the Proto Drake and hung on. The momentary distraction diverted the Rahi, and it began flying in circles trying to rid itself of the weight. The Ko-Matoran took their cue to trap it with a spare net. Lhii gratefully dropped off onto Ta-Koro’s bridge, eager for rest. The Matoran found him burned, but alive, his fire resistance and the Rahi’s large wake in the slow-moving lava saving his life. -----[*]The Impossible Once, there was a Matoran called Lhii. As you all might know by now, Lhii was the greatest lava surfer in all of Ta-Koro, second only to Tahu. Lhii just had a sense for the ebbs and flows of the lava, as if he could feel Mangai Volcano’s whims in his bones. I believe that once saw him do the impossible. The lava was particularly active that day, and large amounts of smoke billowed from the brim of the volcano. I was taking a stroll somewhere above Ta-Koro and there I saw him, standing on an outcropping overlooking a steady stream of lava, board in hand. I chose not to make my presence known, merely observing him. He had his eyes closed, breathing deeply. He appeared to be waiting, but I had no idea what for. We waited for another minute or two, before his eyes shot open. “Now,” I heard him say, as he jumped off the ledge and onto his board. Suddenly, lava erupted from a gap in the volcano and the lava became much more erratic. He took to the change in intensity almost instantaneously, swiftly manoeuvring his board, avoiding any sudden eruptions and pockets that formed. It was a majestic sight; the glow of the lava playing off his yellow armour and Pakari, flames trailing behind his board, the occasional spark thrown off the edges. He turned just as a wave broke, and rode through the middle of the curl, keeping just ahead of its collapse. He seemed to reach out, just nearly touching the lava as he passed it. I could see that the lava was heading into another gap in the volcano. Lhii was heading straight for it. I knew that the breach would lead into a tunnel filled with magma. I tried to call out to him and warn him, try to make him change his course, but he didn’t hear me. He just ducked and entered the gap. I think I nearly choked. I was sure that Lhii was gone. No one could survive that. … After a while, I turned to return to Ta-Koro, and inform the other Matoran of what had happened. But there was a rumble from below that stopped me in my tracks. I turned, and saw another opening below. The lava swelled for a moment… And then it erupted! And with it followed Lhii! And for a moment, he flew… … Lhii landed on another stream and came to a halt, stepping off onto a bank. I met up with him and we returned to the village. I never did find out how he managed to survive that. Lhii showed me that nothing was impossible that day. *** Turaga Vakama finished his story and watched as the Matoran left. He paid special attention to Jala, as he met up with Tahu who had also listened. Lihkan, he thought, my old friend. Your legacy shall live on…

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Aw man, #3 and #4 were priceless. There was just the sort of Turaga-fable feel you would expect to accompany one of the Legends of Lhii in #3 and the flashbacks in #4 were brilliantly executed, as well as Vakama's final words. Had to go with #4 in the end, but both of those were absolutely splendid.

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.