2 Views Of Dervian

Axilus Prime

So, you may have seen the first Dervian picture. More likely is you have not, as the topic has no posts. But that wasn't the finished product anyway. Now even though none of you gave a flying Karz last time, I think I'll just post these two anyway. Dervian in full color and texture.Dervian in the Golden Age of KeretaoDervian during the Great Civil War

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Well of course it does, I always like the texture ones best. The other one is a stepping stone there, so I can use select by color. I use the actual colors, though, so that I can show how they looked when they were... "fresh". (And by they, I mean my BZPRPG chars.)Thanks for the comment!

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Well, thanks for the constructive criticism. The wings are dysfunctional and the large chest is intentional, and I went by the length of my arms to my legs for the limb length. I wanted an unconventional torso that most sets don't have.(Oh, and this character is from the BZPRPG, and is meant to have a ridiculously large head.)

Pk57sNJ.jpg

You should take Flowers's comments to heart, as he quite right. (All but Gasara's are correct, though I wouldn't expect much less from Laura) Even if you're drawing something sci-fi like robots, it's still best to have a grasp on proportions- and then play around with them. I do recommend, like Flowers, that you take some time and peruse as many tutorials and guides on anatomy and learn basics first. Then when you draw robots it will seem fluid and natural, even if the proportions aren't strictly human, they will come across as much more believable.In this case the head, hands, legs, and torso all stick out as things that could be resized and reshaped to give a better presentation. While I think I recognize the hands as the new hand pieces, for the sake of the character they are pretty much unfunctional. Think about what your character needs to do, if he ever has to hold something, or interact with any touch-related object then he's pretty much done for. His legs are also ridiculously small: one, for supporting the kind of weight his upper torso and head suggest, and two, for pure functionality they look like they would not even work in the normal fashion of legs. The parts that connect the waist to the leg look laughably breakable, and that cannot bode well for your titan. The head does give a little feasibility to the bulkiness of the rest of his body, but it still looks odd and completely disproportionate to the rest of him- even if you're just taking the scale of his upper body into account.There is a lot of room for improvement, but that said, you have quite a lot of potential for some wickedly cool robots in the future; your eye for textural detail is quite good, with refinement I look foreward to some very awesome characters from you.If you do want a closer, hands-on look at anatomy (I recommend this for everyone, not just you, or people interesting in drawing people) the Atlas of Human Anatomy by Frank Netter is one of the best books to study from. It's not strictly an art guide, but it's been the most informative resource on human anatomy and structure I have seen. If you can, go with the 4th edition, as the others are way more focused on actual clinical practice, and less on the function and look of the body.Also, just noted, wouldn't this be easier if it was in the same topic as the lineart? Or at least linked back and forth for better comparison and reference..

Edited by Empire

Yeah, his head's way too big. For this particular character I wanted a big head, but it came out a bit bigger than I was going for. He's supposed to have that upper body design, that was entirely intentional. However, I do see your point on the legs. I overdid the mechanical look on the leg supports, and I doubt that would work on a real set.Is there a way to read that book for free online? I'm short on cash.Oh, and I like to draw Bionicle set-style, and that's why I gave him those hands. Yes, they are the new hand pieces.Thanks for the comment and criticism, with all the C&C I get, I've learned that I'm not exactly a super artist. But I'll take this into account next time I draw a character.

Pk57sNJ.jpg