Questions about LoMN

1-Why was Teridax talking to himself in Dume's chamber? (as in him Dume!Teridax talking to Shadow!Teridax) All I can think of for this one is it was a kind of blunder in the movie. I don't remember this scene being in the novelization (too lazy to go get my copy from the stack of books).

2-At this point, wasn't Makuta thought of to be good? If so, then why was Vakama scared when he realized who "Dume" really was? All I can think of for this one is the Matoran were scared of Teridax because of the Archives Massacre, but that doesn't explain why he visualized him as Shadow!Teridax unless he used to go around Metru Nui like that before.

3-Why did Nidhiki and Krekka approach Dume in public? It didn't look as if they were staging a kidnapping, and someone was bound to recognize them as Dark Hunters that have been going around Metru Nui and would notice they were being chummy with Dume.

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

Why was Teridax talking to himself in Dume's chamber? (as in him Dume!Teridax talking to Shadow!Teridax) All I can think of for this one is it was a kind of blunder in the movie.

Not a blunder. It was misdirection, like when a magician directs your attention to one place when the trick is really someplace else, to help "get away with it." This way we were less likely to realize Dume was really Makuta.

As for Makuta's actual reasons, lotsa people talk to themselves in the mirror, and the rest of us do think to ourselves, right? A movie can't (and in this case would give things away if it did, by voiceover) show internal thoughts, so it has to be portrayed visually and audibly somehow. So, you can take it three ways:

1) Makuta actually using misdirection, in case of spies, to trick them the same way the viewer was tricked. (Seems unlikely but possible.)

2) Symbolic portrayal of actually internalized thought. (I doubt it but possible.)

3) He was thinking out loud.

At this point, wasn't Makuta thought of to be good? If so, then why was Vakama scared when he realized who "Dume" really was?

Say you have a really great friend. Then, he does who knows what with your most trusted leader, and wears a mask, assuming the position of that leader. When the deception is revealed, ya really gonna keep trusting him? :P

If it was Matau, maybe. (:lol:) But barring an innocent prank (and the context made it obvious this wasn't that), it would be the reveal that this person is evil.

Besides, Makuta was technically already the leader of Metru Nui. In practice there would be issues if he just started issuing orders, but for one leader to usurp another's role when he already has authority necessary to do anything that would be good, makes his motives pretty obviously bad. Imagine if the President did the swapperoo trick on a Supreme Court judge (or pick whatever equivalent in your own country if not US). At the very least, it would be confusing and frightening.

Also, consider this "Dume's" actions toward the Toa Metru up until that point, and that they had already decided to confront Dume based on that.

All I can think of for this one is the Matoran were scared of Teridax because of the Archives Massacre

That's another factor, but that was a long time ago at this point.

Why did Nidhiki and Krekka approach Dume in public?

Nobody would recognize Nidhiki in that form, and Krekka is a member of a recognized species. Not the most trusted species, but they wouldn't immediately assume they were bad guys just because they see one. Unless somebody knew they were DH, but I doubt most Matoran of Metru Nui would know that. Even then, they could have been trying to negotiate with Dume or something. Plus, it was thought nobody could do anything about it.

That said, it's been a while since I watched it, and not sure which scene this happened in. One of the Coliseum scenes, maybe? I dimly recall that but I can't remember if they stepped out into clear view or not.

someone was bound to recognize them as Dark Hunters

Somebody somewhere in the universe, but Metru Nui inhabitants? I don't see a lot of "wanted" posters around in that culture, yanno? :P

• Upvote 4

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

In addition to bones' comments, I remember Metru Nui being portrayed as somewhat sheltered and relatively secure thanks to the Vahki. The proper Turaga Dume went to great lengths to ensure the Matoran focused on their work and that there was peace in the city. They did have a very large Toa team as well.

Teridax masqueraded as Dume for 18 months, which was enough time for him to invent excuses and create situations elsewhere and start assigning the Toa to them in order to get rid of them, and also to ensure he had control over the Vahki and build enough Matoran pods. Those "erratic" decisions would have opened Metru Nui a little to the dangers of the outside, but not so long that the place would be overrun with Dark Hunters and the like. So the Matoran wouldn't have typically recognized Nidhiki or Krekka unless they were a well-traveled trader or supply manager or something like that - and it would be pretty unlikely for such a person to accidentally see them in the minutes-long scene.

• Upvote 4

APlayofLight_zps1888c63b.jpeg

Part One of the Chrysalis Saga

By Takuta-Nui

Thanks for the answers! I forget Krekka has his own species. :P

@ the first one: Makes sense that it's just internal thought.

@ the second one: My question rose from the way Vakama said it. "You don't want to know who's really in charge of Metru Nui", not something like "You'll never believe who's really in charge of Metru Nui". The way he said it implied that he knew Teridax had bad intentions or at least dreaded that it was him in particular. I mentioned that the Matoran could've grown to fear Teridax due to the Archives Massacre but, again, that was a very long time ago. It could also be understood in a way that he was sort of in denial, hoping it wouldn't be Makuta because of how fond they were of him, but I don't think the Metruans would be too fond of Terry. The whole problem Terry had in the first place was lack of appreciation. I might be overthinking this one. XD

@ the third one: Makes sense upon rethinking it.

• Upvote 2

My question rose from the way Vakama said it. "You don't want to know who's really in charge of Metru Nui", not something like "You'll never believe who's really in charge of Metru Nui".

Think about what a Makuta can do. You wouldn't want to find out you were the ragtag, rookie team destined to oppose him.

• Upvote 4

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

My question rose from the way Vakama said it. "You don't want to know who's really in charge of Metru Nui", not something like "You'll never believe who's really in charge of Metru Nui".

Think about what a Makuta can do. You wouldn't want to find out you were the ragtag, rookie team destined to oppose him.

Good point. Who knows what other things Makuta might have done around that time? Thanks! Thread can be closed now.

Thread can be closed now.

Glad we could help. ^_^

• Upvote 2