Creating an Okoto Language

Tahu, Onua, Pohatu.

I'd imagine TAH is fire, PO is stone (and HA means something like Warrior, so Po+Ha+T/Mu=Mask of the Stone Warrior) and... Well, I'm not quite sure about Onua.

It would probably be Onu+ma(mau, soft "m"). The real question is how to get it to relate to the other three Toa.

Also, it might make sense to change "Tah" to "T-ha" so as to be more consistent with the rest of the Toa. After all, what makes "ha" an interesting idea is that it can be used in the names of all the Toa (perhaps "Onu+ma+ha">"Onumaha" or "Onumha"). Pohatu might instead translate roughly as "Master of Stone" with "warrior" being something more implied or given as context rather than something to be literally translated. If this is the case, the mask may actually be called "Pomu" or "Poma"; "Master/Mask of Stone". Toa may just mean the same thing as it did in Gen1, "hero".

EDIT:

Actually, the names of the other Toa could be represented as Lehma, Kop-hakma, and G-halmi (feminine of "mau"). I've decided that it would make more sense to make Onua into Onuhma so that "ha" preceeds "ma" just like it does in the names of the other Toa (ha+ma>hma).

I would like to clarify what I meant by "warrior" being implied. As an example, ancient Greek is a very specific language and it is too impractical and difficult to understand when translated literally. So often times, only the general meaning makes it through translation. To translate Pohatu literally might mean something like "Master of Stone Who is a Warrior", but that just doesn't roll too well, thus "Master of Stone" for the English translation with "warrior" being implied.

Edited by RahiSpeak

After rereading some the previous posts, it would seem wise to post a standardized set of symbols/annotation for us to use when sharing our ideas.

Mechanics:

-Concactonation: + Example: ma+ku+ta>makuta

-Result: > Example: eki+mu>ekimu OR ekimu>eki+mu

-Placeholder/No Current Word: () Example: lord>(people)ma

Pronunciation:

Seperator: - Example: T-hamu OR Kop-hakma

Combo: : Example: l ee:ay ma

Literal: | Example: Galm |e|

Soft: # Example: #mau (incomplete oral movement)

There are certainly many other things that need to be added and if anyone has a better idea than the ones listed above then I will be happy to edit it. Just trying to find some common ground.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I think I'll try again at the Brothers' names.

əki-mu: mask-maker; masker. From əki, "mask," and causal affix mu.
əki-mu > əkimu

mu-əki-uta: mask-keeper; mask-hoarder. From əki, "mask," uta, "to have [many]," and causal affix mu.
mu-əki-uta > məkuta

So now we can throw out the "E must begin a word" business. The affix "mu" represents an origin when as a suffix, and a current state when as a prefix. So mu-əki might be mask-bearer, while əki-uta-mu could be mask-collector.

o koto: the world, the land. From o, "the/the one," and koto, "land/region/place."
o koto > okoto

kra-ata: spider; literally "mastery of crawling/twitching." From ata, "to crawl/to twitch," and kra, "mastery/control."
kra-ata > krata

kra-atə: lord; leader; literally "control of the many/the mass." From atə, "the/the many," and kra, "mastery/control."
kra-atə > kratə

So what other words can we make with these?

okotatə: Okotans. okotatə < okoto-atə
atəkoto: the universe; literally "the worlds." atəkoto < atə koto
mukra: master. mukra < mu-kra
omu-əki: Mask of Creation. omu < o+mu (literally "origin of it" or "the origin")
krao-əki: Mask of Control. krao < kra-o (literally "control of it")
kratəkoto-əki: Mask of Ultimate Power. kratekoto < kra-atəkoto (literally "control of the universe")

Not a bad vocabulary for four source words. I might consider adding the Toa's names to the mix, but I'm not sure if the Okotatuh named the Toa themselves, or simply copied their names from an external source.

Edited by Akavakaku

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Akavakaku, I actually really like tour ideas, but unfortunately I don't have time to comment on all of them right now. I do have time for Ekimu and Makuta however, so I'll start there.

The problem that I see with the way you interpreted those names is that it may be harder to fit some of those words into the names of the Toa than the interpretation that we already have. Of course, we don't NEED them to fit, but since the Protectors more or less named the Toa, it may help. Also, we would still need to explain why "mu" is placed before "eki" in one name and after in the other.

So anyway, my new interpretation prompted by your post is that "mau" still means "master/mask", and "eki" means "maker/forcer". Also, I am beginning to think that "Makuta" doesn't mean "mask-hoarder"; partly because I don't remember him being called that; partly because of his mask: the Mask of Control. Think about it, Ekimu is called the "Mask/Power Maker" and wears the Mask of Creation; it stands to reason that Makuta would bear a similar relation to his mask as "Forcer of Many Masks/Powers". Here is exactly how I have interpreted their names. When placed before the noun, "eki" takes on the literal meaning of "maker", but it takes on the abstract meaning, "forcer/influencer", when placed after the noun. So, eki+mu>ekimu means "mask/power maker". If "uta" means many, then ma+eki+uta>makuta means "forces many masks/powers". At this point, I would like to point out that "mau" refers to masks/powers in general as a concept, while the addition of "uta" specifically means multiple masks/powers. It should also be noted that "eki" may have different beginnings or endings for different uses such as an "occupation", for lack of a better word (maker, writer, fighter, etc.) or as an actual verb (makes, writes, fights, etc.). Aside from all of that, earlier IcarusBen had come up with the word "ha" to mean warrior, so if our villagers are feeling like they especially dislike Makuta they could pronounce his name as Makut-ha, which sounds exactly the same but with an emphasis on "ha". For the Toa we assumed it to be a good thing, but it could be used in a derogatory (forget how to spell it) way as well; perhaps able to be translated as "violent" or "short-fused" based on context.

I'll respond to the other suggestions you made some other time, but I really like most of them; especially "Okoto". For now, I'm interested to see what you think of my comments so far.

Yes, it's certainly possible that "The Mask Hoarder" was given to Makuta later. Perhaps there's a reason for "mau" being changed to "mu" in one name and "ma" in the other?

Well, we haven't seen succesive vowels in a word yet; I believe that has been mentioned before. So in that case the usual ending is "u" but when succeeded by another vowel both morph together into "a", unless of course that next vowel is also "u".

Anyway, "krata" is definitely a good word for "spider"; I mean, why not? My suggestion is that "kra" should mean "twitching/crawling" while "uta" is used as the second part. So: kra+uta>krata; "many crawling-things". Now, that would mean that the interpretation of "lord/ruler" would also have to be different but no big deal: uta+eki>utaki; "influencer of/influences many", or: mau+uta+eki>mutaki; "power to influence many".

EDIT:

I think that maybe "uta" should also end in "u" when not followed by a vowel other than "u"; so "utu". The new construction of "spider" would now be: kra+utu+ha>krat-ha; "many crawling-things (that are violent/dangerous)".

Edited by RahiSpeak

• 1 month later...

Well, Tolkien's done it again. Okoto now has a language: http://outofgloom.tumblr.com/post/112984210298/the-language-of-okoto-ch10-an-okotoan-grammar

Hey, can anyone figure out what this means? I had to make up a word here and there, but it should be sound.

O-uwa-ata, okowa iano omo iwale to oliwa pako,

Ukika-mo Tulaga-to otak, o oke atioa-e eo-omo

Ulekato pa e-uwa-eo e-uwa-omo

Omo iuki ola-mo we la-atu

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

• 10 months later...

I'm personally partial to the idea that Okotian is basically Matoran, with the main difference being that it is significantly more translated into English this time around. I could have sworn that Tahu was referred to as a Toa in one of the animations, which probably means that Master is the English translation of Toa. This, naturally, would lead to Unifier being the English translation of Nuva. There's a lot of other ideas I've been throwing around in my head, and I think my personal headcanon is ultimately going to incorporate a lot more G1 names and terms - without dragging in all the complicated continuity tied to them, of course.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

• 4 weeks later...

What about the letters should it be based on this symbol is T this one is R, or should one symbol represent a group of letters or common speech sounds. Like "Ta""Ga""Le""Po"

Also can simple or common words be represented by one symbol like "Toa""Mask""Unity""Duty""Destiny"

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/