Was There Ever A Prototype Kraata

banana92

So, I recently won an ebay auction for a bulk lot of bionicle parts (as I lost my collection, and this has proven a cheap solution to fill in the bulk) and I won the auction for $46.00, I ripped open the package the instant it arrived, my floor never knew what hit it. But in the midst of pieces was a transparent orange kraata from the Nike shoes, an expensive part on it's own, so my question is, was there ever a prototype kraata, because this kraata is a bit strange quality wise, the edges in places have small bits of plastic still attached, the details seem slightly rounded out, or smaller/uneven, and molding marks from the underside aren't in there correct locations, so if anyone else has an orange kraata, can you compair it to an official one and let me know, I've compaired it to the green rahkshi's kraata of the same level, and there or some inconsistancies. Fingers crossed, but I'm sure the answer is simple. And good luck to all, (I know of the misprint kraata out there too)

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

I will try and take a picture when I have access to a better camera, and I do know about factory flaws, I just find it odd that there are many types of inconsistancies, like the details being less tall or less deep the a standard kraata of that level, the underside of the kraata consists of a cavity on all kraata, however the one I own is slightly asymetrical.

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

There were almost certainly prototype Kraata. Prototypes are made of all parts. But whether they were ever made available to the general public, or whether the part you're referring to is a prototype? That I doubt. Your example does not sound atypical for Kraata (many of which were "rough around the edges"), and could be due to general variability or to post-manufacture wear (it's entirely possible that some of the mold lines or crisp edges could wear away through heavy play).

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I agree with you, I also doubt I would get my hands plon a prototype this way (not my luck anyway) I am positive it isn't general wear, and I know there are some rough types of kraata, I just don't have another trans orange kraata to compair it to, I wonder if they used a different mold for the trans orange kraata, what I most want to question is the underside of the kraata, on a standard kraata "belly" there are 2 protrusions equadistant from both ends and the entire cavity that makes up the underside is centered, on this trans orange kraata however, the belly has 1 small circular indentation at a bit less then half way from the head of the kraata to the tail and off center of the cavity width, also the cavity is not perfectly centered and favors the right side of the kraata if you stared at the head these are definitively premanufature errors, and some point to a different mold entirly, the "eyes" also do not rise to the same height on the trans orange kraata as they do to a standard one, sorry for the long statement, I will try to get a picture soon.

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

I have also found that the orange kraata is slightly shorter then the other equal level kraata I have, not very noticable to the untrained eye though, I have shot some macro images with my phone, and will try to post them very soon. The plastic of the orange kraata also feels noticably softer.

Edited by banana92

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

The trans-orange kraata do have kind of a weird texture to them, though I can't seem to find mine to take comparison pictures of them at the moment..

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

That's what I am assuming, but since I don't have a second trans orange kraata, I cannot compare two side by side, I am uploading pictures to bricklink now, and will try deep linking the image links when I finish. these are the 4 best images I can upload right now

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/banana92/Trans-Orange-Kraata/2_kraata_side.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/banana92/Trans-Orange-Kraata/2_protusions_vs_1_indent.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/banana92/Trans-Orange-Kraata/close_view_orange_front.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/banana92/Trans-Orange-Kraata/bottom_rounded_view.jpg

Edited by banana92

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging