Pokémon: Rise Of The Rockets

Parugi

IC - Bounty/Tyler McKinley - The Chamber of Clarity:

Without a second's hesitation--without so much as seeing the loss in Ryan's expression or acknowledging the closing gap between his group and McKinley's monstrous minions--Bounty snatched the card from Ryan's hand. He turned, moving past James and Xander.

"Go--I'm right behind you."

It was a brief walk to the edge of the tunnel, to the mouth of the chamber. A growing crowd of serpents and snowmen had gathered in the far back, focused on something. Bounty could not see what it was, instead only hearing the rustling of their bodies against each other and the sharp snapping of jaws at work. Those unoccupied by whatever lay back there were following after Bounty, pursuing their prey. A snowman swung its arm forward; thin spears of ice launched from its claws, flying toward Bounty. Skarmory moved to block them, allowing the needles to shatter against its body.

One slipped through Skarmory's wings. It hit the Shadow Admin, impaling his shoulder. Bounty dropped the card to the ground, teeth clenched and eyes closed. Was there some sort of incantation? There couldn't be--Ford would have told him if there was. Drop the card, strike the card--that's what Ford had done; Bounty prayed that was all he needed to do to reverse the damage.

He took a deep breath, raised his cane above the card, and opened his eyes. He met McKinley's. The clown stood upon the edge of the platform uncovered by the blob, grinning at him.

"Couldn't just accept death quietly, could you?" McKinley asked.

The Shadow Admin shook his head. Without a word, he slammed the foot of his cane into the face of the card.

A white light erupted, much like earlier, expanding outward and washing over all. It blinded McKinley for a moment, forcing him to cover his eyes. When he could see again, Bounty was gone, vanished into the tunnel.

IC - John Ford/Madison Hayes/Skye Hall/Sonja Baron/Levi Alaric/Nine/Kyle Eston/Esen Windred/Jackson Sang/Ethan Worth/Eileen Alaric/Sleight - Egg, Fleeing:

Another wave of light washed over them, a sweeping blanket that left the entire group stunned for several seconds.

"A second one . . ." Esen muttered. She looked at the remaining Ford Agents. "Any idea what that was?"

"The fallback," Hayes said. "Someone must have used it." 

"That means we can fight again, doesn't it?" Ethan asked. "It was supposed to reverse the effects of the first card, right?"

"There's no telling what it actually managed to do, given McKinley's interference," Ford said. "Don't get your hopes up."

Hayes looked at Nine. The Darkrai remained completely silent; she could not be sure whether it was because he had nothing to say or if the cards effects hadn't kicked in. She assumed it was the latter. Even so, Hayes couldn't help but feel as if something inside of her head had shifted with the passing light--as if a barrier had been torn, and something had begun seeping back in. And looking down at the Poké Balls lining her belt . . . Perhaps it was a trick of the light, but Hayes could swear that a faint glow had encompassed Wigglytuff's Poké Ball.

She shook her head, continuing forward. I wouldn't lose hope yet, either, John . . .

Edited by Parugi

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

~ Rise of the Rockets (I II)/Discussion Topic/Side Stories ~

IC: Xander Cruize/Sylph

Another flash of light, blinding for a brief moment -- and then a glimmer of outside thought. Xander clamped down on his thoughts and feelings. He had to sort his thoughts out before he let Sylph in again.

The Gardevoir frowned softly and continued up the tunnel. She could get angry with him later. For now, she was just relieved that they were alive and safe. There was still a faint sense of wrongness in the air, but that was fading as they walked away.

As soon as Bounty was clear, Xander holstered his gun and turned to leave. He paused upon seeing Sanders standing there.

"Ryan . . . about, uh, Adams--"

IC: Jared Winters

And we're back.

Jared winced as the voice rang through his mind. Oh, good, I thought you were gone forever. Would hate to lose you.

There was mental snickering, and he shook his head. "What the ?" he asked. Anubis shrugged. They may have had Aura back, but it wasn't solid enough for the Lucario to communicate mentally yet.

Jared sighed, looking at the people filing out of the building. "What happened in there?"

"So Alku, happy 'was that a firecracker or shotgun?' day!"

"Hard mode: I'm in the south."

"Planning was never Zac Blazer's forte." - Blade, mastering the art of the understatement.

"We'll have to change the initials of the RPG from RotR to PTSD." - Me, discussing Rise of the Rockets.

IC: Ryan/Dack/Ellen/Paul/Jayron/Dahlia - Tunnel

The wave of energy passed him, but did not cure him. It was only when Xander spoke that Ryan turned around and began moving back toward the surface. "I could have saved her if you hadn't gone and played the hero." He knew better than to have an argument right here, when they were running for their lives, so he left his bitter words at that. Hands clenched into fists, Ryan continued his steady evacuation in silence, never once meeting Xander's eyes.

Sanders had no way of knowing the Kalosian's psychic abilities were trickling back. Even if he did, he was in no state to try and shield his scattered thoughts and emotions from Xander. Should the psychic test his newly reborn powers on Ryan, he would sense a whirlwind of shock, fear, and guilt-driven anger.

Dack likewise did not know the effects of the second energy blast. He had only glimpsed Bounty clutching the card before he ran past the Shadow Admin deeper into the tunnel. His thoughts drifted to the Ultra Ball at his belt. He had abstained from using Heatran to avoid a repeat of Sootopolis, but now he wondered if the Lava Dome Pokémon could have given them the leading edge. Sure, a magma storm in such an enclosed area would have been dangerous, but if it could have interrupted the ritual, they could have avoided this entire mess to begin with.

"When did I grow so soft?" he mused. Dack already knew the answer. Luke wouldn't have hesitated to call upon their Doomsday Pokémon at the sight of McKinley's true form. Madison, on the other hand . . .

If Paul or Ellen expected Entei to start talking again once the second wave passed them, they were disappointed. The Legendary Beast offered nothing but a guttural growl, never breaking stride in his mad race for the surface. With one hand gripping Entei's mane for support, Paul could only give his daughter half a hug. "It'll be alright," he tried to assure her. "That was the second card, right? What Ford wanted all along. It probably sent those things back where they came from. It'll all be over soon; nothing but a bad dream."

Ellen didn't have it in her to tell her father he was wrong. He would see soon enough. She could only cling to the hope that he would not discover the deadly truth firsthand.

Light.

Not in the visual sense. No, this was the light of aura. It was dim, like peering through a thick forest of eyelashes when your eyes open no more than a sliver. But it was something.

Jayron practically threw himself at the auras around him, desperate to reconnect with his Pokémon. He called out to Lucario through the mental plane, but heard no response. What he did sense was fear. Adrenaline. Fight-or-Flight with a very strong emphasis on the latter. Perhaps it was a good thing Jayron's aura sense was so dim; getting a full sense of the volatile emotions running rampant around him would have been like getting hit with a ton of bricks.

Regardless, the executive couldn't help but laugh. "Do you feel that, Colette?" he asked his fellow aura wielder. "The aura; it's back! We-" His smile faded as he held out a gloved hand. Try as he might, he could not form an aura sphere; there was not even a flicker of aura. But that was only half as troubling as the fact that not one of his Pokémon had managed to reconnect with him. Jayron fell back into a troubled silence. He had spoken too soon.

Unlike aura or psychic abilities, Reverse Powers did not have any immediately obvious passive effects. And so Dahlia did not initially realize the well of power within her was no longer dry. Not that she could have done anything with her powers if she'd wanted to. At her full power she had done nothing more than egg McKinley on. Why? She had literally torn his Xatu to shreds, but she couldn't do a thing against the Fourth Child himself. Was it because she was afraid of her own powers? Was she holding herself back? Was that what caused them to lose? Had she failed as Giratina's Chosen Hero?

The middle Seaton let these questions run through her mind almost as quickly as Asriel's padded feet led them down the tunnel. The only indication that the wave of light had done anything to her at all was a slight paling of her skin, almost unnoticeable.

IC: Madison/Luke - Cape Brink

"Madison!"

The blackbelt cursed as thorned branches tore at his arms and nettles stung his legs. He was used to training in mountains, not forests. And with every pain-inducing step, Luke became more and more convinced that he should have just left Madison to her own fate. Survival of the fittest and all. The only thing that kept him going was the look he envisioned would cross Dack's face when he learned Luke had just let Madison wander off to her demise.

And so with burning legs, scraped arms, and sweaty brow, Luke found solace in the thought that at least Dack wouldn't have to kill him. The forest was already doing a perfectly good job of it.

"Madison, get back here right now!" Luke yelled. "You're going to get us both killed!"

A wall of light passed over them, much like what had happened in the helicopter. A scream echoed through the trees, causing Luke's hair to stand on end.

"Madison!" He redoubled his efforts, ignoring the branches that were tearing his shirt to shreds. At long last he stumbled from the undergrowth into a thin clearing. The path continued only for a few feet before ending abruptly in a sheer cliff. Waves crashed far below. Luke had to stop himself before he went tumbling over the edge.

Madison sat a few feet from the brink, her eyes wide in shock. Luke raced to her side and found that she was covered in scrapes and scratches from the forest as well. Her Froslass floated at her side looking worried.

"What were you thinking?" the blackbelt demanded.

"Th-that light . . ." Madison gasped between short breaths. "I-it blinded me . . . I nearly fell over the cliff . . . Anzu . . . sh-she saved me . . ."

Luke collapsed to the ground and sighed with relief. "Madison, for the love of Arceus, please don't do that again. Did you have any idea where you were even going?"

"To Dack," Madison answered defensively. "I-I just took a wrong turn somewhere."

Luke rolled his eyes. "I don't care if he kissed you, that doesn't give you some innate love-powered tracking system. You don't know where he is any more than I do. You almost got yourself killed, and now we're both lost. I told you to stay in the helicopter."

Madison opened her mouth to argue, but promptly shut it. She bit her lip. "Sorry," she muttered. "I'm just worried about him."

"And imagine how worried he'll be when he gets back to the chopper and we aren't there?" Luke groaned as he got to his feet. "Anzu, you think you can make us some ice packs or something for these scrapes?"

The Froslass responded in a hollow voice. She waved her arms, but nothing happened.

"Looks like Anzu's in just as much shock as you are," Luke muttered. He helped Madison to her feet. "Come on; we've got a long road ahead of us."

"Do you know the way back?"

"Easy." Luke grimaced. "Follow the bloodstained thorns."

Konuju: Kopaka and Nuju meet the Spear of Fusion

Quotes from throughout the years:

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2003: "So... it has begun, my brother. But soon, it will also end..." --Makuta

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka

IC: Palkia

No sooner had Palkia been outraged at the actions of McKinley, then had been surprised by the actions of Bounty. From its vantage point in it's home dimension, it had witnessed a bright flash of light. Soon after, the Spacial Pokemon felt an inkling of its power return to it. It was small and insignificant. Not enough for something like -it- to make a difference....

But, maybe enough to help someone else make a difference.

Roaring mightily, the Master of Space focused on the one person in the world that had connected with it. Despite the fact that he'd gone on without it for so long, the one it had chosen had managed to stand tall and mighty. Palkia's body gave off a dim violet light, as it continued focusing on the Hero of Space. That abominable clown would rue the day he decided to do all this.

"Evan Tierra, as tribute to all your accomplishments and what you have given to do them, accept my power once more..."

IC: Evan/Feral Tierra, Egg

Gnip growled as she continued galloping forward, taking care to make sure her passenger wouldn't fall of her back as she did so. Meanwhile, Evan continued running alongside the Mach Pokemon, still very uncertain how they would deal with the things back there, as another wave wave of light washed over them. As it did so, Gnip felt slightly more powerful. Not as she did before the first wave of light, but she still had a feeling of "power" resonating within her, Evan had felt the same way, but unlike Gnip, had no idea why he felt like he did. It was like something was......embracing him, like an old friend would do for him. "What was that?" the young man wondered aloud uncertainly. "Whatever it was, it felt.....odd." Shaking his head, the Plasma Agent continued running, more concerned with getting out for the moment.

However, as he did so, within Jenny's mind, Feral Tierra was in awe of something he felt. The connection that he had fabricated between Evan and Jenny was still very, very weak, despite what happened, but he definitely recalled the feeling he got from his better half. The link wasn't strong enough for Feral to relay what had happened to him, but maybe that was for the best....

"No way. He got it back? Does this mean.....? If anything, he has to survive for me to really know....."

Smiling to himself, as much as he could anyways, the former Spacial horror started to whisper to Jenny. "Keep an eye on him. I know you usually do that, but I'd keep a closer watch......." Feral went back to watching the connection, wondering what fate had in store....

Edited by Hades

IC: Xander Cruize

The words stung, despite Xander knowing the circumstances. It wasn't fair, he knew, but he would let Sanders blame him for now. Once they had a chance to talk, maybe things would be different.

And maybe not. Owning your mistakes, that was the advice Xander had given Ryan back on the boat. He would own his mistakes, even if it meant one of his friends being angry with him.

He started walking.

"Planning was never Zac Blazer's forte." - Blade, mastering the art of the understatement.

"We'll have to change the initials of the RPG from RotR to PTSD." - Me, discussing Rise of the Rockets.

IC - John Ford/Madison Hayes/Skye Hall/Sonja Baron/Levi Alaric/Nine/Kyle Eston/Esen Windred/Jackson Sang/Ethan Worth/Eileen Alaric/Sleight/Goldhawk/Liberty Agents - Cape Brink, Two Island:

Natural light.

After what felt like an eternity of navigating through the egg, it was hard to believe that they had finally returned to the surface. Everything that had transpired--the projections of Ford's Agents, the manifestation of Sloth, the appearance of McKinley's true form and the birth of . . . it . . . All of it felt like a distant memory now, a nightmare fading into the depths of time.

The moment was short-lived. As they reached the bottom of the stairwell connecting the entrance to the structure to the ground, the group found several guns trained in their direction. Goldhawk and his squad of Liberty Agents had surrounded the bottom in their wait for Ford's appearance, and now focused all of their available firepower on the Shadowed Man, Nine, and Hayes.

"Ford," the Liberty Leader growled. "Stay right where you are. The rest of you, move--now." Goldhawk's eyes narrowed at Ford. "You have five seconds to start explaining what the is going on."

"Goldha--sir!" Kyle said, moving to stand between Ford and Goldhawk. "We can explain everything, but this--"

"I said move, Eston," Goldhawk snapped. "Whatever happened in there has shut off Pokémon abilities across the globe--reports have been pouring in for the past hour. And that's not even getting into whatever that hole in the sky was a little while ago." 

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

IC: Ryan/Dack/Ellen/Paul/Jayron/Dahlia - Cape Brink, Two Island

"It's McKinley," Ryan blurted as he ran to stand beside Kyle. He looked up at Goldhawk and added a hasty "sir." After everything that had gone on inside the egg, Ryan was not in the mood to debate, so he tried to explain everything as quickly as he could. "You have to believe us, Ford was only trying to help. McKinley betrayed him and now this thing is here. Bounty fixed Ford's mistake, but McKinley's still out there." He frantically pointed back toward the structure. "We have to destroy that egg -- it might not be too late!"

"Please stop . . ."

Ellen's voice was so small it was almost lost among the arguing. The girl kept her arms wrapped tightly around Entei but her wide and unfocused eyes darted across the amassed agents faster than a Crobat in a Tailwind.

"I-it's drawn to conflict . . ." She looked to the guns, to the egg, to the sky, all in rapid succession. Her breathing was short and her voice shook in terror. "P-please . . . no more fighting . . ."

Jayron stepped forward as well, but stood apart from Ryan and Kyle. He didn't need his aura abilities to know this was a situation that needed defusing sooner rather than later. And even if the situation hadn't been so tense, Ellen needed someone on her side. "Perhaps it would be best if Ford explained everything in his own words. Without a dozen guns pointed at his face. But first," the executive peered at the Liberty Leader. "What was that about a hole in the sky?"

2001: "Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer." --Nokama

2002: "Mata Nui faces perhaps its greatest challenge -- one that will test our courage, our strength, and our belief in each other." --Tahu

2004: "Your journey must end." "By the will of the Great Spirit, it has just begun!" --Makuta and Vakama

2005: "Our destinies are not written in stone, set in place. They are something we have to find for ourselves." --Vakama

2006: "Don't you realize you're fighting for a lost cause?" "Maybe. But don't you realize those are the only ones worth fighting for?" --Axonn and Brutaka

2007: "Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory." --Hahli

2008: "Dive into the darkness, Ignite the flame within. Now, there is no turning back. Make the future... begin." --Narrator, The Final Battle Animation

2009: "It is said that all endings are merely beginnings waiting to be born." --Mata Nui

2010: "All journeys must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. ... All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides." --Mata Nui

2011: "Not dead. Just frozen. They’ll thaw out … eventually. I’m tired of villains spouting gibberish." --Kopaka

IC: Evan Tierra

They had made it out. Despite the fact they should be feeling relief that they escaped, the sight of Goldhawk and his men turning their guns on Ford, did nothing to ease the panic and terror that Evan felt. There was no chance that whatever was in there would stay in, especially considering what McKinley had said. The young man heard Ellen's fearful voice despite all the noise, each word ramping up his sense of urgency. Then there was mention of a hole in the sky from Goldhawk......

They had to get away, no if's, and's, or but's about it. Despite his fear, he had to at least help convince the Liberty Leader to reconsider his actions. He had to, for everyone's sake. He trudged forward, near Ryan and Kyle. "Sir, I have to agree with Kyle." Evan started, his voice echoing with weariness and fear. "I know Ryan's said the gist of it, but Ford may well be the only one who knows what is happening......"

Edited by Hades

IC - John Ford/Madison Hayes/Skye Hall/Sonja Baron/Levi Alaric/Nine/Kyle Eston/Esen Windred/Jackson Sang/Ethan Worth/Eileen Alaric/Sleight/Bounty/Goldhawk/Liberty Agents - Cape Brink, Two Island:

"He was trying to help?" Executive Lorn repeated, incredulous. "Sanders, this is the man who blew up Castelia and assassinated Bluefalcon. I don't believe that for a second. You have your orders."

"It's more complicated than that," Kyle said. He struggled to focus on Lorn and Goldhawk; his head pounded and his vision blurred in and out with every passing moment. It was only through sheer force of will that he was still standing at all. "Please, just . . . just listen."

"If it makes you feel any better," Xander said, easing into the conversation from the rest of the group. "Some of what was shut off is starting to come back already--the rest shouldn't be too far behind."

Goldhawk's eyes shifted between Kyle, Evan, and Ryan, then to the rest of the group. Everyone present bore signs of the conflicts that had occurred within the structure. Some looked worse than others, either injured or utterly shaken and near catatonia from whatever they had witnessed inside. The Liberty Leader looked at Kyle, at the blood running down the side of his face, and sighed. He flicked the safety on his weapon and lowered it.

"Everyone, stand down," he said. "We'll move this discussion to the Alamo." Goldhawk looked at Ford and Hayes. "You're still going in cuffs."

Ford bowed his head. "A fair enough decision." The Shadowed Man looked back at the egg. "A word of advice first? You'll want to start evacuating this island as soon as possible--people and Pokémon. I'd give it only two or three days before it becomes an active problem."

Goldhawk's agents gave Ford mixed looks of confusion and disbelief, which the Liberty Leader ignored as he turned to give them their orders. "Furler, keep an eye on these two," he said. "Delano and Camilla, see what you can do to start treating the wounded. Robins and Night, get our transport ready. Lorn, contact the Alamo and begin evacuation prep for Two Island."

"I'll contact Chapel and organize some assistance with that," Sleight said, pulling his Poké Gear out of his pocket and moving away from the group. He paused, giving a long look to Levi as if wanting to say something, and then continued, pushing the thought aside. The Eighth Child simply hugged his mother tighter.

"The Rockets of Sinnoh will send help, as well," Bounty said. He sat down on a stump, clutching a hand to the wound in his shoulder. "Trust me, Aleivy, this isn't a fire that you want to play with."

"Duly noted." Goldhawk looked at the rest of the group. "Take ten minutes to rest, and then we're out of here." He moved away to make his own call to the Alamo, giving the group as a whole a brief reprieve.

Edited by Parugi

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

IC: Richard, Claus

The bard was glad to have sunlight again. He took his violin and positioned it where it belonged.

"Richard! Are you all right?" Richard heard Claus ask as he ran over. He was sure the fellow agent had more questions, but concern caused him to choose that one.

Richard finally began playing the violin. Random, scattered notes and chords. More or less trying to distract himself for a moment while his brain processed what just happened.

"That... wasn't good song material."

IC: James

The Executive walked up to his leader with a heavy heart. He had an idea and it was making him sick thinking of what, or rather who, it required dealing with.

"Goldhawk, sir," He started. "If what we saw down there gets released into the world while our Pokemon are still unable to fight, we are going to need another weapon."

Even without waiting for a response, James knew that Goldhawk was not going to like where he was going with this, "If there was a scenario that Project HARMONY would be needed, this is it."

25fbd79538e4c3de878b599045e3f03a.jpg

With the immediate crisis averted, Ryan felt a terrible exhaustion as his mind focused to the much larger threat. Images of Adams still flashed in his mind as he vaguely heard Ford talk of an island-wide evacuation. "Is there really nothing we can do . . . ?"

He answered his own question when he walked a little way's away from the group to sit with his back against a tree. Xander had mentioned something about power starting to return, but even if they could fight back, they were in no state to try a counter-attack right now. Ryan fished a Pokéball from his belt and pressed the release. Quil materialized and curled next to his trainer, but no flames burst from the Typhlosion's back.

Ryan was torn. He knew that . . . thing . . . would only grow stronger in the coming days. He hated the idea of turning tail and just running. But as he ran a hand across Quil's fur, he knew it was the only choice they had.

His eyes scanned over the crowd. Sonja and Ray; he now understood how they must have felt, trying to convince a stubborn ally that Ford was not the true enemy. Xander; if the psychic's abilities had truly started to return, then he no doubt sensed Ryan's bitterness toward him. But that didn't change the fact that Ryan had been the one to ultimately leave Adams behind. Colette; he had dragged her into this mess because of her powers, giving little regard to how Zoe might feel if her sister had perished on this deadly mission. And while Colette was still alive, the trauma evident on her face would no doubt cause her family to worry. Dahlia; he had warned her against using her powers, a concern she had not taken too kindly too. Ryan had to wonder how things might have played out had the Heroine of Reverse not held back. Could she have prevented this catastrophe if it hadn't been for Ryan's undue worry? Then there was Kyle; his fellow Liberty agent had taken perhaps the most physical damage during the fight, other than Ford. Yet when the two of them had landed close to each other after McKinley's Whirlwind, Ryan had been more concerned with Ellen. And speaking of Ellen; he had failed her time and time again. Aria had called her his sister, but it was clear that Ryan didn't know the first thing about being a brother.

Ryan had led this ragtag group of individuals. It felt like all of them had fought harder than he had. And he had nearly led them to their death. Why hadn't he fought harder when he'd had the chance . . . ?

Meanwhile, Dack quickly located Ethan. "Madison and Luke are still on that chopper," he said. "Are we leaving with them, or are we following Liberty to their base? Because if we're going to the Alamo, I'm not leaving my friends behind to await the formal evacuation. And do you see where Gavin went?"

Jared watched everything unfold, watched as the man called Ford was taken into custody. He pulled the slip of paper from his pocket and considered it carefully. He could hand it to the apparent leader of this group, but he doubted he would be allowed to leave easily after that. Lachina was still on the boat, and it wouldn't do to leave her behind.

Now, now, Jared. You wouldn't want to drag her into danger, would you? the voice sneered. After all, what if she gets hurt? Or worse, what if you kill her? A cackle, then, But you did promise her, didn't you? So which noble ambition will you follow, hmm? Save the blushing damsel, or keep your code of honor?

Jared growled. If you're not going to be helpful, then kindly shut up. I know what I have to do, it's just--

Just what? If you know what you need to do, then there's no point in anguishing over it! Just do it!

Jared scowled and approached Goldhawk. "Excuse me, sir, there's something I think you should know."

At Goldhawk's words, Evan could only stand where he was. The young man was exhausted, mentally and physically. Despite what Xander had reported, he couldn't help but feel powerless. All that fighting he'd done. All that he and the others had given up. Was it all for nothing? More and more it felt like the deck had been stacked against them from the very start of things. He wanted to cry, yet he couldn't muster up the will to. Not in front of everyone.

The thought of that frustrated him beyond anything. Losing his friends, his powers, everything. They all paled in comparison to this.....

IC - John Ford/Madison Hayes/Skye Hall/Sonja Baron/Levi Alaric/Nine/Kyle Eston/Esen Windred/Jackson Sang/Ethan Worth/Gavin Braner/Eileen Alaric/Sleight/Bounty/Goldhawk/Liberty Agents - Cape Brink, Two Island:

Project Harmony . . . Goldhawk sighed, shaking his head. He clicked his communicator closed, and looked to be on the brink of answering James when he noticed another face approaching. He paused, turning briefly to James. "We'll talk about that once I know for sure what is going on."

Goldhawk turned his attention to the newcomer. He was younger--late teens, if Goldhawk had to guess--but his expression was one suggesting a lifetime of experiences, some good, some bad.

"Excuse me, sir," he said. "there's something I think you should know."

The Liberty Leader crossed his arms, meeting the newcomer's scowl with a raised eyebrow. "I'm listening."

"Are we leaving with them, or are we following Liberty to their base? Because if we're going to the Alamo, I'm not leaving my friends behind to await the formal evacuation. And do you see where Gavin went?"

With a raised finger to his lips, Ethan silently signaled Dack to quiet down. He pointed to a tree a short distance in front of them. Gavin rested underneath it, alongside a Liberty Chansey who was currently tending to him. He was still unconscious, but he didn't appear to be in any serious danger at the moment--the bandages around the remainder of his right arm, though bloody, had done a good enough job of addressing the injury. Skye stood nearby, arms at her side and staring blankly at the Rocket Agent's unconscious form. As Ethan and Dack watched, she stepped forward, sinking to her knees next to Gavin and taking his remaining hand in her own, her eyes never leaving his face.

"Poor kids . . . I'm sure she probably feels horrible about all of this, and he's going to wake up and feel bad because she does." Ethan shook his head, forcing a smile. "At least someone here is going to get to enjoy having a robot arm, though, right? Sort of makes all of this 'end of the world' business worth it, eh?" He nudged Dack. When that did not immediately receive a chuckle, Ethan frowned, looking ahead again. "I think it's probably best if we round up our chopper and go with everyone else to Liberty's base. It's the closest place that we'll be able to catch a break, and, well . . . It's not like we have a lot of options for what to do right now, you know? Might as well go where the food is cooking instead of waiting for it to be served to us."

"That's going to hurt, isn't it?"

Kyle eyed the bottle in Agent Camila's hand with clear apprehension. As she placed the cloth over its opening and tipped it, she caught his eye and smiled apologetically. "Yeah," she said, bringing it toward the wound on his head. "But it'll help."

A sharp, burning sensation erupted from the point of contact as she pressed it to his head, eliciting a sharp gasp and a grimace from Kyle. It subsided after a moment. "I've got it." He reached up, replacing Camila's hand on the cloth with his own, pressing on it with his palm and bringing his elbow down to rest on his knee. "Thanks."

"No problem." She began packing up her medical supplies. "You're sure that's everything?"

"Yeah--just some bruises, is all. Nothing that'll kill me." He looked around at the rest of the group. "You might see if anyone else needs anything--I wasn't the only one who McKinley threw around."

Kyle watched her go in Bounty's direction, and then bowed his head, closing his eyes. He looked up again at the sound of crunching grass. Esen walked in front of him, then took a seat beside him on the log. She rubbed her hands together, then ran them across her eyes. They sat in silence for a long while.

"So," Esen said. "That was . . . a little crazy." Kyle nodded. She looked at him. "You doing all right?"

"Yeah," he said. "Just thinking." He adjusted the cloth, looking around at the rest of the group. Evan and Ryan had both separated themselves from the group. Levi sat with his mother, her arm wrapped around his shoulders. Sonja sat at the base of the stairs into the egg, staring at her own reflection in the crystal. "Seems like everyone's pretty scared."

"I don't blame them. I think we're all feeling a little bit helpless right now," Esen said. "I've never heard of anything like this before--Pokémon being depowered, whatever that alien thing is . . . Makes you wonder how Ford was able to learn so much about it."

Kyle shifted his gaze to the Shadowed Man. Ford had recalled Nine and now sat with Hayes, with Furler standing nearby and Delano working on the Shadowed Man's bullet wound. "Yeah," he said. "It really does." He frowned, turning back.

Esen followed his gaze. "You seem pretty calm about all of this," she said. "Any particular thoughts you want to share?"

"I don't know," Kyle said. He fell silent again for a moment, and then finally shrugged. "I'm just glad everyone from our group got out safely--especially if Gavin and I got some of the worst injuries, you know? I feel like that's worth something. We got Sonja and Ray and Ellen back. I think Ford's done being an active threat . . . Sleight got his kid back . . . It's not all bad."

"Right." Esen smiled. "I'm glad you're okay."

Kyle smiled back. "You, too," he said. "It's gonna take a lot more than a Whirlwind to take me out." He looked back toward the forest. "Anyway, we'll get through this. We always do, one way or another."

Edited by Parugi

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

He held out the paper, swallowing to clear his throat. "This is a list of places and dates. The places are areas that, at the time of the list's writing, hadn't yet been attacked or destroyed. This is the reason I was able to be here today, because I had advanced enough warning to be here. I had barely missed the destruction of Sootopolis, over in Hoenn, and then I made it here as fast as possible.

"There's one more place left on the list after this, everything afterwards has been lost." He jabbed his finger on the last entry on the piece of paper. "As you can see, it's relatively soon. Given the date, I think it may be related to . . ." He gestured at the egg.

IC: Xander Cruize

He had wandered away from the group to think. His good arm was pressed up against a tree, cushioning his head as he hid his face from the others. He didn't want them to see him cry, didn't want to lose what little status he had with them.

He blinked the Wobbuffet ripping apart at the seams and exploding into gore against the tears and took a ragged breath. He was trying not to think about how he shot a possessed man trying to save the world the conversation he would be having with Ryan later, just save that for later. He had to figure out what to do about the fact that someone had died, in part because of him or maybe entirely because of him now that they were evacuating the island.

But he couldn't bring himself to actually think. Letting go, letting the tears free, had ruined his ability to think objectively, and he just needed a few minutes alone to compose himself so he didn't break down in front of his teammates or superiors.

He felt Sylph approached and allowed her to lean against his back and wrap her arm around him in a gentle hug. He continued fighting back sobs, but Sylph's presence just made him cry all the harder.

When the group left a stony-faced Xander Cruize was with them, with no signs that his eyes had even watered.

For once in his life, Jayron wished he could be powerless. A very one-sided conversation with Lucario revealed that while the executive was experiencing a slow yet steady return of his powers, his trusted partner remained as blind as a Zubat to the emotional energy that surged through the gathered people. Jayron had fought in the war long enough to know they were better off striking sooner or later if they wanted a chance at eliminating that thing. And unless by some miracle Lucario and the other Pokémon regained their ability to fight, it would be powered individuals like Jayron who would find themselves on the front lines.

As a Liberty executive, Jayron was prepared to give his life in service to his friends and allies. As a sixteen-year-old trainer, the thought of facing that monstrous blob and its drones again terrified him more than anything had in a long time. His own fear was only made worse by the uncertainty of others. His power was still too weak to discern individual auras, but it didn't matter: they all felt the same. Everyone there had the same sense of horror, confusion, defeat. The emotions melded together to form a wall of depression that weighed on Jayron's shoulders as heavily as if he carried the massive egg and the abominations within.

And so Jayron found himself following Delano and Camilla, helping the wounded where he could. Mindless work helped keep his thoughts from wandering back into that egg. Lucario watched him from afar with a neutral expression. Although their psychic bond was broken, Jayron knew his partner was taking the loss of power even harder than Jayron himself had. Once they had all recovered from the initial shock, Jayron would have to have a long discussion with Lucario.

Dahlia knelt at the water's edge. The lake's smooth, unbroken surface was like glass. If she hadn't just narrowly escaped an extradimensional monstrosity, the gardener would have felt completely at peace in the tranquil dawn. Instead, the silence broken only by restless feet and soft murmurs served to echo the silence in Dahlia's own mind.

"Mister Giratina," the gardener implored. "Please, I beg you. I . . . I can't do this myself. Tell me what I should do. How can I hope to fight back? H-how can any of us . . . ?"

The water rippled, distorting her reflection. Her vision swam and she realized she was crying into the pool. Perhaps in some fairy tale those tears would have triggered her link with the Sinnoh deity. But the lake only reflected back her own rippling image. Like how McKinley's Xatu had rippled in the moment before getting torn to shreds. The thought made her sick, and Dahlia thrust a hand into the water to push away the disturbing image. She turned away, wiping her tears on her sleeve as she wandered toward the others.

She came across Ellen and Paul, eliciting a small smile from the gardener's face. Amidst all the hardship, they had at least succeeded in rescuing those McKinley had stolen. "Heya . . ." Dahlia did her best to sound cheerful, though the redness in her eyes betrayed the still-fresh tears she had left in the lake. "How're you feeling, Ellen? We were really worried when you didn't show up in Celadon . . ."

The girl clung to her father, her shadowed eyes staring past the middle Seaton toward nothing in particular. She did not give any indication she had heard Dahlia.

"Ford said the . . . ritual . . . might drain them." Mr. Burks looked down at his daughter in concern. "She just needs some rest. I'm sure by the time we get back to Unova she'll be back to her cheery old self." It didn't take an aura wielder to tell that Mr. Burks was having a hard time believing his own words. But that wasn't what caught Dahlia's attention.

"Unova?"

The blacksmith nodded. "Before she was taken, Ellen agreed that she should come home. Her mother's been awfully worried, and if I don't get back to my job I won't be able to put food on the table. Besides, with all the chaos that's been happening around these parts, I think the quietness of Village Bridge would do her good."

Dahlia thought back to the effort Ellen had put into defending Sootopolis and how badly she'd wanted to help Celadon. She had a feeling Ellen would want to help fight against this enemy too. Dahlia hid her doubts with a smile of her own. "It's always good to spend time with one's family." For a brief moment her thoughts traveled to Aspen and Olivia on Four Island, and to their parents in Olivine. How were they holding up? Had they also experienced the effects of Ford's magic? Isolated from Giratina, Dahlia longed for the comfort of her family. Maybe Mr. Burks had the right idea.

A pit formed in Dack's stomach as he stared at Gavin's injury. He'd had no idea his fellow Rocket Agent had been hurt so badly. Only then did Dack realize how lucky he and Ethan had been to make it out unscathed. It was several moments before he registered Ethan's words.

Liberty's base. At one time, Dack would have rather gone anywhere else in the world than enter the Alamo on friendly terms. Even now, painful memories of his last encounter with his nemesis made it hard for him to agree with Ethan's suggestion. But he knew they really didn't have much of a choice. This was bigger than Liberty, or Rocket, or childhood grudges.

He slowly nodded. "It might be best if we let Gavin and Skye take a Liberty transport, though. Gavin really doesn't look to be in any condition to head back to our chopper." Not to mention, Madison will freak out when she sees him like that. She's probably already worried enough as it is.

-==IC: Chloe==-

Chloe tried to keep her face as bright as she usually did, but the atmosphere was rather dampening. All around her, everyone she looked at who was in the egg, they just seemed... hopeless. It was rather disheartening for the girl, who was growing rather desperate to at least try to cheer up some of them. But she recalled how Pierce's scream had filled the room, and then shook her head.

No. There has to be something we can do. The girl had felt an odd surge of power when the second wave of light had passed over her, but yet she didn't feel that it had helped too much yet. She closed her eyes for the moment, wishing that things hadn't gone so wrong.

-==IC: Ray==-

"Hey." The orange haired separatist knelt down near Sonja - he made sure to give her some space, but... he felt that the look of the girl staring at herself in the crystal was a bit troubling. Ray bit his lip, as he glanced around for a moment, and then let out a sigh. He had to admit that he wasn't sure if talking or apologizing at this precise moment was a good idea, but. . .

"Just to let you know... if you ever need someone to talk to, or vent to, I'm free. I just thought I might offer that because of all this..." The young man stayed quiet for a brief moment. "Also, I'm sorry if I've done anything too reckless, or upset you, or anything like that. I know I'm bad about that, so..." He trailed off after that, as he wondered if he had overstepped anything. He glanced at the crystal for a moment, wondering how things had gotten this bad to begin with.

OOC: Other ICs later?

It was at this moment, Gnip had caught a very familiar, and dare she think, nostalgic scent. Despite the gravity of what had just happened, the Garchomp was more intent on finding out who this scent belonged to. She walked away, having gotten a lead, with her co-master on her back. Her master had turned around, and followed, thinking it better to just not stand in one place to cry. As he followed Gnip, Evan looked at the varying measures of despair or hopelessness on everyone's face.

Then Gnip had stopped.

Right in front of him, was Ellen Burks, along with her father and Dahlia Seaton. The same Ellen Burks that they were looking for. As much as it would pain him, he had to make sure she was all right. The Plasma Agent tapped Ellen on the shoulder, speaking as he did so. "Heya, 'little sister'." Evan spoke, trying to hide his worry. "It's been a while. I did wish to see you again. Just....not like.....this..."

IC: Ellen/Paul/Dahlia - Cape Brink, Two Island

There was a subtle movement of her head, and her eyes seemed to focus on Evan Tierra. Other than that, Ellen remained silent and unmoving. "She's . . . had a rough day," Paul said to assure the Garchomp-clad hero and his Garchomp-riding girlfriend. "We all have. Give her time to recover."

"Hey, I know what will cheer you up." Dahlia brightened as she knelt down in the grass to be on eye-level with Ellen. "Remember that Eevee you helped rescue in Sootopolis? My brother Aspen's been taking good care of her. He named her Saya. At first she was scared of pretty much everybody, but lately she's been growing more comfortable around Aspen. They're both on Four Island . . . maybe you'd like to meet them?"

Like with Evan, Ellen's only response was a slight shift in her eyes. Although she tried to remain cheerful, Dahlia let her smile falter. This was not the same strong-willed girl from Sootopolis. It didn't seem like Ellen had forgotten the Eevee, but she just didn't seem to care. The middle Seaton glanced up at Evan and Jenny, unsure what to do.

Edited by Konuju

Evan nodded at Paul's assuring words, and looked at Dahlia. "She needs time to think on all this." the young man said, trying to keep himself steady. "We all do..."
He cursed in his head, at everything that had happened, especially when it hurt Ellen so badly. He then looked at Jenny, his eyes looking uncertain as he spoke. "How about you?" his words carrying concern with them. "How do you feel, Jenny?" He wasn't sure how everything affected Jenny, or Feral for that matter. He had to hope, that she would be strong enough to help them through this.

Edited by Hades

IC: Llyans - Vier Village, Four Island

"--no one is quite sure what caused Pokémon abilities to turn off seemingly overnight--"

"Yes, I'm aware this is a worldwide crisis--"

"--while many trainers were just left dumbfounded, others were met with tragedy the moment their Pokémon lost their powers--"

"No, my daughter had nothing to do with -- Arthur, can you please turn that off?"

Mr. Llyan hit the mute button, silencing the television, but his eyes remained glued to the screen, his expression one of perpetual shock. His wife continued to pace behind him, the annoyance in her voice suggesting that she was about to throw her phone at the wall.

"Sarah, listen to me. Nobody. Knows. Anything. Those are just baseless rumors. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish preparing breakfast." Without waiting for a response, Molly hung up and let her phone clatter onto the coffee table. She flopped onto the couch beside her husband, pinching the bridge of her nose in frustration. "Unbelievable. This is a worldwide catastrophe and she's chasing tabloids."

"She's just confused like everybody else, Molly." Mr. Llyan continued to watch the screen, which showed a group of firefighters desperately tried to save a burning building while their Blastoise looked on in confusion. "Nobody knows what to make of any of this. They're grasping at any answers they can find."

"I told you to turn that off." Molly snatched the remote from her husband. "I don't want Zoe seeing any of this."

Arthur finally turned away from the blank screen to look at his wife. "Sarah said something to upset you." It was not a question.

At once Molly dropped her frustrated front and turned to Arthur with an air of unease. "Th-there's a rumor floating around the Alamo that Ford is involved somehow."

Arthur drew his wife into a comforting embrace. "You said it yourself, that's just a baseless rumor. People want someone to blame. What better scapegoat than The Shadowed Man himself? Team Plasma probably thinks we had something to do with it."

Molly sniffled as her vision blurred with tears. "I know. It's just . . . wh-what if she's right? Colette went on that mission to stop Ford . . . W-we don't know if her aura powers were affected . . . Wh-what if . . . ?" She couldn't bring herself to voice the thought that weighed so heavily on her mind, and instead broke down in her husband's arms.

"Don't." Arthur gently kissed his wife and wiped away her tears. "Don't do this to yourself. You know there's nothing we can do. Collie's a resourceful girl; we have to trust that she'll make it out of this."

Zoe crouched at the top of the stairs, watching her parents break down in the living room. She couldn't tell what was going on, but from their muffled voices she gathered it had something to do with Collie. Hardly daring to breathe, not wanting her parents to catch her listening in, Zoe stealthily slipped into her sister's room and closed the door. Once inside, she slid her back down the door until she was sitting. Her hand clutched the locket around her neck, as she often did when thinking about her sister.

Only this time, her thoughts were not filled with adoration or affection. Her parents, like her sister, were powerful Liberty agents. They did not get scared easily. Sure, they had been mad at Collie at first for going on this mission, but to see them utterly break down crying . . . it terrified Zoe more than she cared to admit. She could feel her heart racing inside her chest. What could have happened to make everyone so worried? Zoe's imagination provided her with a thousand possibilities, each more terrifying than the last. Before leaving the island, Evan Tierra had given her a pair of Go-Goggles and instructed her to keep the island safe in their absence. That all seemed trivial now. She wasn't a warrior or some grand hero. She was just a little girl who wanted nothing more than for her sister to come home.

Then all would be right in the world.

IC: Landorus, Abundant Shrine

The pulse of the land. The beat that all plant life heeded and obeyed from below. As one who could accelerate that beat, Landorus held power that, while not as miraculous as many other Legendary Pokemon, it was still a wondrous gift to him and the people of Unova. After he had left Four Island, the Abundance Pokemon made a beeline for the Abundant Shrine. There were many places in this world, that would suit his needs, but the Abundant Shrine was by far the place that most resonated with him.

When he had reached it, he first approached an altar near the shrine. Embedded within a tablet upon it, was a Reveal Glass, similar to the one Evan Tierra had on his person. According to rumors, the one here was one of a pair. The other had been found by a woman of science, who kindly donated it to the Bishops of Team Plasma.  His breathing hid the sense of nostalgia he felt at seeing the altar, which had been made in appreciation for what he had done in the past. Focusing his gaze upon the Shrine once more, the Abundance pokemon gently floated over to it, and assumed a meditative posture, as he focused on drawing power from the land. Little by little, he could feel his vitality returning, as he gave thanks to the land.

This had continued for a few days, when.....

One day, Landorus had finally recovered most of his strength, but continued to focus on the pulse that reverberated within his body, letting it match that of the earth. Farmers had been preparing for their harvest earnestly, reaping the benefits of hard work and dedication. It was then, that a bright flash of light washed over the area, before moving onward. At the exact moment it happened, Landorus felt the pulse no longer. Try as he might, The Abundance Pokemon could not reach out to it. Confused as to what had happened, he tried to reach out to a nearby human, only to find he could not project his thoughts to them. Growing more concerned, Landorus could hear the whoosh of blowing wind, as a pair of beings similar in build to himself descended from above, one predominately light blue, and the other a dark green

Thundurus and Tornadus.

Both of them wore the same look of concern as Landorus. Even though it had know them to be troublemakers, the Abundance Pokemon knew that if they seemed worried, it was worth noting. He tried reaching out to them, only for the same result as with a human: nothing at all. He pondered what could have happened, his fellow pokemon looking at him, furrowing their brows as they too thought. After ten or so minutes, Landorus could arrive to no conclusion and was about to smash his fist into the ground, when a second wave of light washed over Abundant Shrine.

After the light had passed over him, Landorus had noted that it felt like something had begun to fill within him. Like water in soil. He noted the amazed expressions of Thundurus and Tornadus. Crossing his arms, he thought for a moment, then he pointed at the twins, then to the ground, then to himself, followed by him pointing up. As if they understood, the pokemon of lightning and wind nodded solemnly. They were to stay in Unova, while he went off to find out what was going on. The Guardian of The Fields  then took flight, aiming to return to Four Island, looking back as the Shrine grew more distant. For some reason, he felt he would see Evan Tierra there.

He had to.

Edited by Hades

IC: Miriam Shields - Chapel

Miriam was pretty sure this was awaited bad little bureaucrats when they died. Reports had been coming in from all over regions controlled by Team Rocket that the powers of Pokemon simply stopped working. The reports had flooded her inbox, people rushing to and fro her office with hastily assorted documents, burying her desk with paperwork. At first she was completely incredulous. Expelling everyone from her office for a moment, she sent out Twister and told her to summon forth a sandstorm, to test it for herself. Not a grain.

If Pokemon were out of commission, Team Rocket could find itself severely understaffed if a disaster broke out during this mess, Miriam considered. If any of Team Rockets enemies chose this moment to attack, no, if this had been planned out by Ford, to lure Sleight away from Chapel and then attack with agents who wouldn't need Pokemon. The attack by the Darkrai on his home assured that Sleight would come for Ford himself.

Miriam shook her head. There was still too much too many variables to come to that conclusion. What Team Rocket needed right now was information on how to respond to this mess.

She took a deep breath and began sorting through all the information that had been unceremoniously dumped on her. Reports about the incident in and of itself were mostly superfluous and could be ignored. The only new facts that had arisen from her cursory glance, was that aura wielders and psychics had felt a similar effect to those suffered by Pokemon. A summary of the reports detailing the origin of the light concluded that the light had originated in the Sevii Islands.

Where Sleight went to fight Ford, Miriam thought, as she began to pen a forwarding message to be sent to various key military leaders. If there was a possibility they were going to be attacked, they needed to be warned.

She was about to finish when reports of a second wave of light began to come in. Humans that were in areas covered by this wave began to show that they had their own abilities back. Their Pokemon however remained powerless. It would hit Chapel soon.

Now that left her briefly stumped. It made no sense for Ford to switch the powers that some humans held off and then to switch them back on. If some convoluted circumstances forced him to do it in this manner, she could not fathom it. There was a chance that Sleight and those that were with him had a found a way to, at least in part, reverse the process. Chapel needed Sleight to contact them as soon as possible.

"It's hope at least," she decided muttering to herself.

And hope was marketable. If she could exploit that by diverting any available aura or psychic users to city centers to give a show that this situation would pass, even if a lie, could prevent mass panic. This needed proper care and planning. She scratched her Hippowdon's head for good luck.

The bureaucrat began writing a new suggestion to be sent up the chain of command.

IC: Geosenge Town

The second light hadn't restored Ches's abilities, so Calem and Serena were forced to call upon their bulkiest pokémon to help move. Even with a full compliment of twelve muscle-bound creatures, the digging took them almost until sundown.

The duo now stood at the edge of the hole, looking down. Calem had his arms crossed, and Serena's hands were on her hips. Both looked slightly confused. Calem cleared his throat. He didn't want to be the first to ask, but Serena had the patience of a Wobbuffet. Removing his hat to scratch his head, he said what he knew they were both thinking.

"So, uh . . . Where are the bodies?"

It was true. They'd moved a few tons of rock today, but hadn't encountered so much as a single bone. The lab had had at least twenty Team Flare grunts, along with several scientists and, of course, Lysandre himself.

"Oh, good," Serena said. "I thought it was just me, but if you also noticed it then I must not be going crazy."

"Is now the time for jokes?" He turned to scowl at her.

"Joking is a whole lot better than panicking which is what I'll do if I don't joke!" Serena's voice rose to a screech as she spoke, and then she clamped her lips shut. "Look, all I'm saying is . . ."

"That mad man's loose somewhere in the world. I know that. But we have to at least act calm, alright? We're representatives of the Pokémon League."

Serena hesitated, then nodded. "Right."

There was a few minutes while they both just stared into the hole.

Serena turned to Calem. "Let's go. No use looking at nothing. We need to let the town know that they aren't about to collapse, and then we need to go tell the League."

IC: Shannon Willows - Trilan Mansion, Celadon City

Hiding away in a windowless hospital room (or one where the only window faces the blank wall of the outside corridor) can have a number of psychological effects, such as losing one's concept of time. With no sunlight to indicate morning or night, Shannon's exhaustion told her it was about 9:00 at night. The bedside clock told her it was about 9:00 in the morning. She would have insisted the clock had somehow malfunctioned, but the sudden commotion coming from down the hall suggested the mansion's other inhabitants were just waking up.

The muffled voices were as loud as they were indecipherable. Shannon could hazard a guess that her parents were involved, which meant it was nothing good. For a time, Shannon tried to ignore both the voices and the wisdom of the clock; her body needed sleep, regardless of what the clock said. But the muffled argument kept her awake. With a groan of annoyance she reached for the bedside table. If she couldn't bury herself in a pillow, she reasoned, she could at least bury herself in a book. But she quickly found that the voices distracted from even the most gripping of stories.

With an irritated sigh, Shannon tossed aside both book and bedsheets. She stalked toward the door, unsure whether she wanted to discover what the heated discussion was even about or simply reprimand them for bothering a sick girl. She was still making up her mind when a soft yip made her pause at the door.

Finding itself suddenly lost in the tossed bedsheets, the Eevee poked its head out to give Shannon an inquisitive look. The girl shook her head. "You wait here," she said softly. "Don't worry, I'll be right back." The Eevee nodded in happy misunderstanding and bounded toward Shannon with a wide grin, dragging the sheets fully off the bed in its wake.

"No." Shannon pointed back towards the bed, giving the Eevee as stern a look as she could manage. "You're not coming with me." The little fox just sat there staring up at Shannon, waiting for her to pick it up. After several failed attempts to overpower the Eevee's insistent pleas, Shannon finally gave in. "Are you sure you haven't taken lessons from Selena?" she asked as she scooped up the incorrigible Eevee in her arms. "She's tried that tactic countless times, and it never fails to win me over." The Eevee simply gave a happy yip and snuggled against its human companion. "Now you have to be quiet," Shannon warned the Eevee. "We can't afford to get caught walking around outside the hospital room, especially by my parents."

The Eevee had closed its eyes and already seemed well on its way into a deep sleep. Shannon smiled softly before turning her attention back to the muffled voices. She silently slipped out the door.

Her hospital gown danced at her ankles as her bare feet lightly sprang down the hall. Now that she was outside the hospital room, the voices were much clearer and she instantly recognized them as her mother and father.

"--Liberty's bound to have some response to all this."

"Don't you understand? There is no fighting. Not the kind we're used to, anyway."

"Either way, they need our help."

"I thought you put in for a break while Shannon--"

"This is a crisis, Theo. But our daughter won't be far. I'll arrange for her to be moved to Four Island. The Alamo has a full staff of nurses that can help her recover."

Shannon felt her heart drop. She was crouched around the corner of the living room where her parents were conversing. It was her worst fear come true. Her parents were trying to take her away from Ms. Stacy, from Lucia, from the only friends she had made since moving to Celadon. Her thoughts raced. She couldn't go along with this. She had to escape. If Ryan came back from his mission and found her gone without a trace . . .

"There you are!" If Shannon hadn't been so focused on keeping quiet, she would have screamed at the voice behind her. Instead she merely whirled around to face the nurse, who took her firmly by the arm. "You are in no condition to be wandering around on your own, young ma'am, especially given the current hysteria. You scared the heavens out of me, child. Now come along; we need to take your vitals to make sure you weren't affected in any way. And we can't go relying on those Heal Pulses anymore."

Scarcely knowing what was going on, Shannon found herself half-dragged back to the hospital room. Amidst the chaos, she counted two blessings. One, her parents were so deep in their discussion that they hadn't noticed their daughter peering from around the corner. Two, the nurse was so hysterical herself that she hadn't noticed the sleeping Eevee curled up in Shannon's arms. Something clearly had everyone upset, but Shannon had her own personal catastrophe. She had to figure out a way to keep her parents from dragging her off to Liberty Headquarters. That was the last place she needed to be right now.

IC - John Ford/Madison Hayes/Skye Hall/Sonja Baron/Levi Alaric/Kyle Eston/Esen Windred/Jackson Sang/Ethan Worth/Gavin Braner/Eileen Alaric/Sleight/Bounty/Goldhawk/Liberty Agents - Cape Brink, Two Island:

Ethan nodded. "You're right," he said. "I'll stick around and keep an eye on these two. Why don't you go and make sure Luke and Madison are all right?" He looked around toward Ford and Hayes, then scanned the crowd. A frown crossed the Rocket Agent's lips. He looked back at Dack. "It's almost time to go, so you might want to head out pretty soon here."

He looked back at Hayes, meeting her eye. He felt a chill wind sweep through his chest. Where was Quincy?

For some time, Goldhawk could only stare at the paper in his hands. Eventually, he tore his eyes away from the final entry, folding the paper and stuffing it into his jacket pocket. He turned toward the group, whistling. Though he looked calm, his voice trembled with urgency. "Everyone, we're leaving--now, back to the city." As the trainers around him began to pack up and head out, Goldhawk turned again to Ford. He stooped down so that they were at eye level with each other.

"You said this thing would get loose in a couple of days?" he asked. "How fast can it destroy an island?"

Ford frowned. "I can't say," he admitted. "If I had to guess . . . a matter of days?"

"Could it destroy two islands in the span of a week?" The blood drained from Ford's face, all but confirming Goldhawk's fear. He activated his comm, connecting with the Alamo. "Goldhawk to base, do what you can to double evacuation efforts--Three Island is in just as much danger as Two Island."

Sonja did not respond to Ray immediately. At Goldhawk's words, she pushed herself to her feet. "I'll be fine," she said. "I just need to find out what I can do to help once we get back to Four Island . . ." She stared at the egg for another moment before turning, following after the group.

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

-==IC: Jenny==-

"It's been a long day." Jenny said, as she tried to keep her face as upbeat as possible. She glanced over toward the rest of the people, as she heard a lot of chattering among the group near Goldhawk. "It sounds like we might be leaving soon..." The girl wanted to help Ellen, but... as she closed her eyes, she realized that it might not even be possible to help at this point in time.

OOC: Maybe some more ICs later.

IC: Evan/Feral Tierra

"It's been a long day."

No kidding.

Not only had the supposed 'heroes' learned they were fighting the wrong person, but things ended up even worse than they could imagine. Evan sighed and turned towards the chatter. "It's been a long day, yeah." the young man said, a note of melancholy and fatigue in his voice. "And I'm not even sure if it's gonna be over anytime soon...." He surveyed the faces of all those present, most of them brimming with uncertainty. What could they do now? Things were looking bad, and they hadn't even gotten started yet.....

As Evan had spoken, Feral could not help but look at Ellen, feeling heartbroken. Despite him not knowing her personally, he could not help but feel a little heartbroken for the little girl. If he had eyes, he'd be sure he'd be crying. The consciousness that swirled in Jenny's mind kept quiet, knowing he didn't want to worry her more than she probably was. "Did I really want this for him?"

Edited by Hades

IC: Dack – Cape Brink, Two Island
“Sounds like a plan.” Dack nodded his thanks to Ethan. “We’ll meet you at the Alamo.” The Rocket agent paused briefly to glance at Skye kneeling over the unconscious form of Gavin. He had only just met them, but he could already tell the trio of Rockets were as close as Madison, Luke, and himself. Hesitating for a moment, Dack struggled to find words to comfort Skye, to remind her how much Ethan and Gavin cared about her. Instead of forming words, his mind’s eye saw himself lying in Gavin’s place, bloodied and beaten while Madison wept at his side. The image made him abruptly turn away and start the long walk back to the helicopter landing site. There was nothing he could say to Skye, but Madison needed to know he was safe.

The long walk gave him time to think. His first instinct was to send Madison and Luke home, but if that thing McKinley had unleashed was as dangerous as everyone claimed, not even Snowpoint would be safe. Not to mention, Madison would insist on helping to fight against the blob, Pokémon powers or not. If anything, she would claim the loss of powers leveled the playing field for people like her who weren’t as proficient in Pokémon battles. Dack begrudgingly admitted that the safest place for Madison was where he could keep a close eye on her.

At long last Dack arrived in the clearing where the helicopter had landed. He heaved a sigh of relief; right now he desperately needed the companionship of his friends to help take his mind off everything he had witnessed in the egg. He half-expected to be greeted with a choking embrace at the door. Instead he found only a light snoring coming from the cockpit. It took only a few seconds for Dack’s bewilderment to turn into a panicked rage. “You!” He forcibly shook the pilot awake. “What do you think you’re doing? Where are my friends?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about!” the pilot stammered. To his credit, once he got over the initial shock of being manhandled by an apparent madman, the pilot regained his wits enough to glance over Dack’s shoulder and see that the helicopter’s former occupants were indeed missing. “Th-they must have left in the middle of the night! I had nothing to do with it, I swear!”

A thousand thoughts raced through Dack’s head. Had they been kidnapped? Not by the blob, there was no way it could have escaped the confines of the egg so quickly. Bandits? If there had been a scuffle here it must have been quiet enough not to rouse the pilot. Madison and Luke had been given explicit orders to wait at the helicopter, so if they left willingly it must have been for a good reason. Either way, he knew no good would come from taking out his anger on the pilot. Dack trust the pilot back into his seat. “What was your name again?”

“Eddard, sir.”

“Well, Eddard, you’re lucky I don’t have you reported for sleeping on the job. How quickly can you plot us a route to Four Island?”

“Four Island? It shouldn’t take too long, sir. But may I ask why-?”

“Good. You’re coming with me.” Dack grabbed Eddard by the collar of his shirt and dragged him out of the helicopter. “You’re helping me find my friends.”

IC: Madison/Luke – Two Island
“Follow the bloodstained thorns,” Luke had said. A task easier said than done. The crimson-tipped foliage proved difficult to locate, and every step they took added fresh blood to the mix. Madison quickly became convinced they were wandering in circles. Luke maintained that they were only a few dozen steps from the helicopter, if only to keep Madison from panicking. In truth, Luke had deduced long ago that they were hopelessly lost. It was only his stubborn will that kept them going in hopes that one of the blood trails had to be the one they were looking for.

As it turned out, they weren’t the only ones following the crimson trail. Anzu was the first to detect they were not alone. The Froslass called out in concern, warning Luke to be on the lookout.

“Stop worrying, Anzu.” Luke plunged on ahead. “I know this is the right way. See, the blood here has dried, so—” The blackbelt stopped abruptly as a giant Arbok reared its head out of the underbrush. Luke dove out of the way just before the snake struck with its poisonous fangs.

“Anzu, Ice Shard!” Madison intended to wait for the snake to become engaged in battle with her Froslass before rushing to help Luke. The attack never came. “Anzu . . . ?” Madison looked at her Froslass in confusion, distracting her from the wild Pokémon. The Arbok took the opportunity to coil itself around the unsuspecting skier, not wanting to risk its prey getting away again. Madison screamed and kicked while Anzu tried vainly to summon an Ice Shard.

From his hiding place in the underbrush, Luke sent out his Machoke. “Fire Punch!” he cried out dramatically. Unlike Anzu, the Machoke was at least able to carry out half of his trainer’s command. There was a punch, but no fire. Luke wasted no time in wondering about the lack of firepower. “Alright then, Normal Punch! Hiya!” The blackbelt leapt out of the grass to follow up his Machoke’s punch with one of his own. The two attacks shocked the Arbok enough to make it loosen its grip on Madison.

The girl squirmed free and pulled a thorny vine out of a bush. “Pokémon attacks aren’t working, so we’ll have to improvise! Vine Whip!” Madison lashed out with the vine, striking the Arbok and drawing blood. The snake hissed in pain and annoyance.

“Psh, who needs Pokémon attacks when you’ve got good old karate?” Luke smirked as he and his Machoke delivered a double karate chop to their foe.

Madison pressed her advantage, swinging her vine upwards and aiming for the Arbok’s eyes. Although she didn’t hit her intended target, she still grazed the cobra’s hood. Overwhelmed by three opponents at once, the Arbok gave a final hiss before slithering off in search of easier prey. Adrenaline still pumping, Madison whirled around when something else crashed through the underbrush.

“Dack!” Paling at the thought that she had almost given him a taste of her Vine Whip, Madison quickly dropped her makeshift weapon and ran over to her friend, throwing her arms around him. “I was so worried about you!”

“I was about to say the same thing.” The strain in Dack’s voice made it evident that he wanted to be angry at Madison for leaving the helicopter, but he was too relieved to yell at her. He eyed the bloody vine over her shoulder. “I heard your scream. Although clearly I had nothing to worry about.”

“Alright, before you two go all kissy-face, we have a situation on our hands.” Luke jerked a thumb toward Anzu and Machoke. “Our Pokémon can’t use any attacks. Didn’t stop us from kicking butt, but I have a feeling we weren’t the only ones affected. Does this have anything to do with Ford?”

Dack nodded gravely as he took Madison’s hand in his own. “The situation’s worse than you think. I’ll explain everything later. Eddard!” The pilot stumbled through the thorny bushes out of breath. “Get that chopper ready. We’re going to Four Island ASAP.”

Eddard panted as he leaned against a tree and winced at the scrapes that covered his arms and legs. He was clearly not looking forward to running all the way back to the chopper. “Sir, what about Agents Worth and Braner?”

From the solemn air about Dack’s face it was clear he didn’t want to talk about it right now. “They’ll meet us at the Alamo.” Eddard opened his mouth to ask why they were flying to Liberty’s headquarters, but promptly shut it at a stern look from Dack. “Now stop asking questions and get us in the air. Go!

IC - Goldhawk/Silvermind/Blackskull/Bounty/Sleight/Joker/John Ford/Madison Hayes - Board Room, The Alamo, Four Island:

For perhaps the first time ever, the forces that had sent five regions spiraling into the bloodiest war in recent memory had all gathered in a single room. Under different circumstances, the occasion would perhaps be lauded as a miracle, a sign of peace returning to the world. Under others, the tension would perhaps snap altogether, sending the the world back into its destructive free-fall.

Under the current circumstances, the occasion was something in between.

Hours after their initial departure to Two Island and their descent into the egg, the leaders of Team Liberty, Team Rocket, and the Hojohsin League had set foot back on Four Island, soon breaking off from the rest of the group in order to meet and sort out their plan of action. Joker arrived soon after, immediately moving to join them. Radio chatter intermixed with their discussion, detailing the chaotic efforts of Team Liberty--and soon, Team Rocket--to evacuate Two Island and Three Island.

At last, all present agreed that they were on the same page.

Upon agreeing that all present were on the same page, all present agreed that their current situation was--put mildly--distressing.

Goldhawk stared at the distant clouds, a brewing storm that had gathered over Two Island several weeks ago and never quite dissipated. Until now, no one had understood the phenomenon. Now, he felt fairly certain that he knew what had brought it forth. He grimaced, turning back to the others. Joker had begun to grill Ford for details once more.

"I don't know how to destroy it," Ford said, scowling with eyes dark with fatigue. He looked years older than he had even an hour ago, as if the stress of the day had caused all of his years of tireless work to finally catch up with him. "Nor do I know how it was sealed to begin with--only that it was."

"Which leaves us with nothing to go on," Joker concluded with a scoff. "So much for your 'omniscient demon in the dark' routine." She looked around the room. "We're left with nothing, then--no Pokémon to defend us, no idea of how to stop this creature from spreading, nothing."

"And only a week until it spreads to Three Island, if your list is to be believed," Blackskull said, looking at Goldhawk, who merely nodded. "There's no telling if we'll be back to full strength by then, but we certainly won't be once it starts attacking Two Island."

"Are you suggesting we just give up Two Island?" Silvermind asked. "The fight there hasn't even started, Skull--we can't afford to give up any ground unless it's absolutely necessary."

"I think we lost that fight as soon as this thing decided it was going to materialize at Cape Brink," Bounty said. "Umbra is right--we should conserve our forces until we can organize an effective defense."

"We have no idea how long that could take," Silvermind snapped. "And I guarantee you wouldn't even consider that suggestion if it were a Team Rocket territory under threat." She turned to Goldhawk. "Markus, we can't let this thing spread freely. The sooner we start containment efforts, the better our prospects for the future."

"You're throwing away your soldiers' lives by attacking now," Hayes said. "It'd be best if--"

"We don't need military advice from Ford's lapdog," Silvermind interrupted. The Second Child's eyes flashed. "Let alone the same one who helped destroy most of Unova."

Hayes rolled her eyes at this, though stopped herself short of responding when Ford rested a hand on her arm. Sleight glanced between Silvermind and Hayes, and then turned his attention to Goldhawk. "Our options are clear at this point: Retreat, or stay," he said. "Team Rocket will assist you as best as we can with whatever course of action you decide is best for your territories. But you need to decide now."

Goldhawk fell silent for some time. He looked to the back of the room, past the faces of Sleight and all the others. Executives James Arthur and Jayron Aaron stood by the door, present at Goldhawk's request. He contemplated them, and then stepped forward, placing his hands on the back of his chair.

"You two were present for the battle against McKinley," he said. "Executive Aaron, you have firsthand experience with supernatural abilities, which may be our only remaining asset for the time being. Executive Arthur . . . You've already suggested the use of the Power Suits--and you're the only one among us who can speak to their strengths." Goldhawk glanced between them. "What do you suggest we do?"

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

IC: Xander Cruize and Sylph

He had gotten his arm checked out in the medical wing, and it was now splinted supported in a sling. To say he was bummed out by his left arm being useless would be putting it mildly, but that didn't compare to the emotional pain he was facing. He and Sylph sat side-by-side on the bed, with the Gardevoir leaning on his right shoulder.

"I'm not going to yell," she promised. "Not right now, at any rate. I . . . understand why you did what you did, but I am still upset that you did it. But that's for the future."

There was a pause, as she waited for Xander to speak. When he just shrugged she sighed and continued. "If there is anything I can do, please let me know?"

The Kalosian smiled. "Look at you," he said at last. "Your power still on the fritz, and you're trying to comfort me. I should ask if you're alright. I know you aren't a fan of not being able to communicate directly, or to get a read on others."

She chuckled wryly, closing her eyes. "I will live, even if pokémon powers are never restored. I know that, even if I would rather you stayed safe, you will try your hardest to protect those around you."

Xander grinned, kissing her forehead. "Darn right I will." There was a moment of comfortable silence, and then he grimaced. "That reminds me, though, there's something I need to do. You wanna grab my 'caster out of my jacket there?"

She turned and grabbed the device. Taking it, Xander glanced at his recent contacts and sighed. Pressing the record button -- he didn't think this needed to be done directly -- he spoke. "Sanders, call me when you get a chance. If you feel it's necessary, come to my room, even. I think we have a few things to talk about." He sent the recording and flopped back onto the bed.

"If he responds, can you take the team out for some fresh air? I don't think we need any witnesses to this."

The Alamo's guest rooms weren't bad, all things considered. They were significantly better than the cabins on the ships, at least. Jared meditated quietly on his bed, taking comfort in the fact that Lachina was in the neighboring room. They still hadn't talked about what had happened in Vermilion. There hadn't been time, Jared had had to corral her onto the helicopter, and on the flight over he'd explained what went down on the Island.

She was angry, of course, that he had made her wait on the ship. Angrier, still, that he had paid the captain to put a guard on her so she couldn't leave. Jared wasn't certain, once this was all said and done, that he and Lachina could be friends. He had violated her trust four times in the span of a week and a half -- three of those violations were of the violent variety, all on the same day.

Worse, he still hadn't explained the details of the monster in his head, or the fact that he had let Mercury take control during the fight in the Egg.

He took a deep breath to try and clear his mind -- and his aura. The silver shell that he surrounded himself with had in places taken on a dark red tone, and there was a string of bruise-colored purple that extended from his core to the ball that held Styx. This was a new development, one he'd only noticed a little after the second flash of light had restored his perception of aura.

After a few moments of nothing changing -- no sudden insights, no calming effect from the meditation -- he stood and slipped into the hall. Famished, he went to find the mess hall.

Edited by Carbevoir

When they had returned to Four Island, Evan wasn't sure what to do. What would be right to do, after what he and the others had seen? The young man had stayed outside the Alamo, trying to push the thoughts racing in his mind. He hoped to meet with the others after he cleared his mind.. Despite what was said about power returning, after what McKinley had done...... The wannabe wasn't sure what to think. What could they do against it all?

It was then that he saw something descend from on high. It was a strikingly humanoid creature, without legs. It's torso ended in a small cloud, with a rather strong branch-like tail. adorning it's head was a hammer-shaped hairstyle, and upon it's face, below it's striking yellow eyes, was an impressive mustache. The Plasma Agent recognized the shape as Landorus, a legendary pokemon of Unova. His eyes gleamed with what appeared to be relief, as if seeing his partner gave him strength.

As he had descended, Landorus started to bow respectfully to Evan Tierra. The Abundance pokemon could tell his chosen had seen better days, considering the fatigue he could plainly see. If he could only reach out to him and tell him what had happened, that'd make things easi-

"You want to come back to me, huh?"

The voice from Evan even sounded tired, as if everything had worn away his usual boundless energy. He nodded, as Evan rose forth the same Luxury ball that had housed him before. Landorus gave the Hero an approving nod, with a look of happiness in his eyes. As Landorus had returned to his Poke Ball, he hoped that his master would feel better. It just wasn't right for him to be like this.

Evan turned back towards the Alamo and walked, wanting to rest up more after everything.....

IC: Ruth Fishers - Alamos Power Plant

She had dragged Arius and Yugo back away from the doorway and shoved them down the hall. She was just turning to make sure Jake had followed when the hall was briefly lit by fire and electricity. She heard a wet 'splat' and the screams of someone she couldn't see through the sudden glare. She smelled smoke, and a thick, coppery scent that she couldn't quite place.

And was Jake glowing? She frowned, realizing that he and his team were taking up the entire breadth of the hall. She beckoned for Yugo and Arius to get up the stairs. "Jake, we're going up! Catch up, okay?!"

IC: Amanda (Alamo Medical Wing)

In the Alamo medical wing, a clean-cut woman in formal business attire sat patiently upon her bed, hands folded gently upon the sheets covering her lap. Were anyone to notice her, they might find it odd that, aside from the monitoring wires standard to every patient, she showed absolutely no signs of illness or injury--though this being said, anyone failing to notice her at all could be easily forgiven, given her unnatural stillness and quiet demeanor amidst the chaos that had exploded within the wing upon the return of the Two Island strike teams.

After a few more minutes of quiet observation, she was at last able to spot a nurse slightly less busy than the others. Raising a hand to flag the man down, she patiently waited several more minutes for him to notice her, face flushing red as he finally realized how long he'd kept her waiting.

"I'm so sorry, ma'am. Is something wrong?"

"I need to know if this increase in activity indicates the conclusion of the Two Island mission."

The nurse stared confusedly at Amanda before finally comprehending the question. "I, uh...I guess so?" The young man turned his head to follow a black-haired Trainer sporting a sling on his left arm. "I'm pretty sure that guy was part of the group talking about it a few days ago..."

"Thank you." Immediately ignoring the nurse (who was left blinking at her in confusion for several seconds before one of the doctors called him in), Amanda retrieved her briefcase from next to the bed, opening it to extract her C-Gear from within. Now that the mission is complete, contacting Knights Tierra and Hakuda will not likely be a dangerous distraction for them. Typing out a succinct summons, she tapped 'send' before returning the C-Gear and briefcase to their previous location and her hands to their previous restful position.

And once again, Amanda Zarth began to wait.

To: Knight Evan Tierra <tierra.evan@plasma.un.mil>; Knight Jenny Hakuda <hakuda.jenny@plasma.un.mil>
Subject: Meeting

Please report to the medical wing at the earliest opportunity for debriefing and coordination of current orders.

~end message~
Edited by Flipz

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

IC: James Arthur - Alamo Board Room

James stood holding the remains of his suit jacket in his hand. Considering that almost nothing he could say at this point would make anyone feel even worse, he decided to go first.

"In a one versus one confrontation, a Power Suit is capable of defeating this thing's foot soldiers. And perhaps together, they stand a good shot of overpowering McKinley. Conventional weapons are also capable of dispatching the foot soldiers if used precisely. A team of snipers covering a team of trained soldiers in the Power Suits could them off for some time."

If James had built up any hope, it was likely to be dashed with his next words.

"However, time is all they can buy us. As long as it keeps producing units at the rate it held, they will be overrun. How much time that they can buy us versus how much time we need is the question. Without any knowledge of how long we need, I cannot say whether the sacrifice would be worth it or if we should simply have them help us retreat."

The Executive covered his mouth for a moment to cover a weary sigh that escaped his lips.

"When they are overrun, we would be pretty much sitting Duckletts, deprived of resources that we still need. I support a mass evacuation from the Sevii Islands."

IC - Goldhawk/Silvermind/Blackskull/Bounty/Sleight/Joker/John Ford/Madison Hayes - Board Room, The Alamo, Four Island:

If James's words had killed any sense of optimism in Goldhawk, he did not show it--in fact he remained just as impassive as before. He stared at the Executive for several seconds, and then turned to Jayron. The Executive seemed to be speaking silently to his Lucario. Goldhawk could not tell what was being said, nor even if the Lucario was capable of responding. After a moment, Jayron turned to the assembled.

"For the most part, I agree with Executive Arthur," he said. "But we do need to get some sort of gauge on this creature's capabilities when faced en mass if we're going to have any hope of fighting it in the future. Three Island would give us that opportunity--if that list is to be believed. We could use this knowledge of its next target to our advantage, set up an ambush, and keep it distracted long enough for us to collect some data of how it operates. If possible, we could begin the process earlier by setting some scouts on Two Island to observe how it spreads. But in any event, I do think the Sevii Islands ought to be evacuated as a precautionary measure--and we'd need to ensure an extraction plan for anyone who participates in a confrontation with this thing."

Silvermind slammed her hands on the table. "We are not abandoning the entire region!" she exclaimed. "It's bad enough letting one island go without a fight, but all seven!? What are we supposed to tell the public?"

"They are going to die if they don't leave," Hayes said. "Believe it or don't. It's the fact of the matter."

"If the Power Suits could level the playing field, then perhaps it's not such a hopeless matter," Silvermind argued. She looked at Goldhawk and Blackskull. "We have the materials to produce more of them. We get a production line set up, we start training soldiers to use them, and then it won't matter whether we have our Pokémon beside us or not."

"What, exactly, are we talking about?" Joker asked. "What are these Suits?"

Silvermind ignored her. "It's the only logical course of action."

"It's your call, Marcus," Blackskull said. "What are we going to do?"

The room fell silent. Goldhawk stared at the desk for several moments, thinking. He turned, staring out the window again, to the far-off point marking Two Island. To act, or to retreat? Whatever he decided now would be something he would have to live with. He clenched his hand on the leather of the chair.

"Executive Arthur and Blackskull, I'd like you to meet with Meghan Vert in order to determine whether alternative methods could be used to produce more Power Suits," he said at length. "Two and Three Islands will be evacuated as planned. Islands One and Five through Seven will follow suit over the next month. Four Island's civilian population will evacuate last while the Alamo and Team Liberty's presence remains--we will maintain operation for as long as we possibly can. As for the attack on Three Island . . ." He looked at Silvermind. "You and I will oversee a counter operation on Three Island using some of the available Power Suits, strictly for the purposes of data gathering. As soon as we have determined that there is nothing more of value to be gained from an engagement against this creature, our forces will extract."

Silvermind nodded in begrudging acceptance of the plan. "Yes, sir."

Bounty sighed. "I'll come with you, Aleivy," he said. "You're going to need a cavalry on standby in case this whole thing goes south."

"With any luck, it won't," Goldhawk replied. He looked at Joker and Sleight. "I don't suppose we could borrow some snipers?"

"Of course," Sleight said.

"Then we have our plan," Goldhawk said. "Everyone, begin preparations."

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png

IC: Arius Jacobson

Arius nodded at what Ruth said, and moved forward hurriedly. The smartest thing to do was to get out of here. The scent of smoke and something else hung in the air as he ran up the stairs
. There was also the scream, which only hammered home the idea to go faster.. "Yeah, catch up to us, ok?" The blonde haired trainer spoke, trying to keep calm as he ran.

-==IC: Yugo -- Alamos Power Plant==-

"We can't just leave him!" Yugo exclaimed, as he began to move to head back down the stairs. He knew that he would have to fight against Ruth's pushing, but, everyone needed to get out of there, and just leaving someone behind was not a smart idea in the slightest. "Keep moving, I'll get Jake!"

OOC: More stuff later ^^;

IC: Ryan/Paul/Ellen - The Alamo, Four Island

"Are you sure?" Ryan's question was fueled in part by his own guilt. Upon arriving on Four Island, the entire group seemed to disperse. Higher-ups like Jayron and James went with Goldhawk and the other various leaders, probably to discuss the events on Two Island and determine where they would go from here. The injured were given no choice in the matter and were rushed to the medical wing. Everyone else was left to their own devices, which more often than not meant grim reflection on the battle in the egg and those nightmarish creatures. In Ryan's case, he had chosen to distract himself from the matter by focusing on the immediate problem: Ellen and her father needed a place to stay. Or to be more precise, Mr. Burks needed his guest room upgraded to one with two beds.

The mountain of paperwork involved in the menial task did wonders at putting Ryan's mind off of the egg. Of course it was only a temporary solution, and before long they were standing in the new room admiring its coziness. Even with two beds squeezed in, there was still enough room for Ellen's Pokémon to wander around. It was only at Ryan's prompting that Ellen thought to let her Pokémon out, although their somber presence did little to lighten the mood. Duo floated around screaming in telepathic silence, clearly distressed at the loss of his primary form of communication. Artemis and Maturin stuck by Ellen's side, doing their best to comfort their trainer. Chrono promptly sought out the most isolated corner of the room and curled up for a nap. And the newest member of the team, an Oddish Ryan had never seen before, started out in Ellen's arms before wandering over to the window to soak in the sunlight filtering through the blinds.

The sight of the mostly-familiar team made Ryan realize that most of Ellen's belongings were still at his house in Fortree. He offered to arrange for a Liberty chopper to pick it up, to which Mr. Burks responded that they could just grab it on their way out; once the initial chaos at the Alamo had died down, he and Ellen would be returning to Unova.

Which brought Ryan to his guilt-ridden question. He was well aware of his failure as Ellen's surrogate guardian and couldn't help but feel like her returning to Unova would just cement the fact that he screwed up.

Paul needed only to nod at the lifeless expression on his daughter's face. Since the battle in the egg, Ellen had hardly spoken, smiled, or reacted to the world around her. Not even her Pokémon could elicit any more of a response than Paul or Ryan could. Her home in Village Bridge might not be able to help, but it was at least better than one of Liberty's spare rooms.

Ryan knew he was in no position to argue. He had no right to deprive her of her family. And if the blob spread as Ford predicted, the Alamo would soon become a battlefield. In that situation he would prefer Ellen to be as far away as possible.

"Of course, if you ever find yourself in Unova, be sure and pay us a visit." Paul gave a small smile. "The same goes for Evan and the others. I don't think our house has ever been as lively as it was at Christmas, and I know Ellen treasured her time here, despite the . . . recent circumstances."

"Well, she's always been the voice of hope." Ryan's half-hearted smile quickly faltered. After a hard-fought mission, Ellen had always been the one to brighten the mood. Now more than ever they needed her innocent laughter and contagious optimism. Instead her depression spread like tar, infecting all who knew and cared about her.

Ryan was pulled from his thoughts by a beep on his Pokégear. He stepped out into the hallway to listen to the recorded message. "Sanders, call me when you get a chance." Xander looked as exhausted as Ryan felt. "If you feel it's necessary, come to my room, even. I think we have a few things to talk about."

"You think?" Ryan scoffed as he pocketed the device. His first instinct was to ignore the call; helping Ellen, he reasoned, was more important. But he needed a change of scenery, something to take his mind off the little girl's state. With a brief goodbye to Ellen and Paul, Ryan started walking toward the medical wing.

He abruptly turned left at the first intersection he came to, walking in the complete opposite direction from medical. He didn't want to talk to Xander. Adams' Pokéball bandoleer weighed heavily on his shoulder. Her Pokémon needed healing. Then what? Someone would have to break the news that their trainer was dead. It felt wrong to keep her Pokémon for himself -- he would have to entrust them to Ford or Hayes -- but they deserved to hear the bad news from the one that could have saved Adams. His thoughts flashed back to Jake Soren and the awkwardness of delivering the news of his sudden and untimely death to his Pokémon. And that was with Pokémon that Ryan had traveled with for months beforehand. Adams' Pokémon he barely knew. He had never even faced them in battle. Why had he of all people been been entrusted with their care?

Someone started walking next to him, pulling him out of his thoughts. "Hey." Dahlia Seaton offered him a soft smile, one that seemed at odds with the dark circles under her eyes yet sincere all the same.

"Hi." Ryan nodded in greeting, his mind too scattered to say anything else.

There was a moment of silence, then, "You heading to the medical wing, too?"

Ryan stopped and looked up in surprise. While he had been busy musing over the past, his feet had carried him not towards the Alamo Pokémon Center but towards the medical wing. "W-well, I, uh . . . I was going to see Xander, but --" He promptly shut his mouth before he could admit he was actively trying to avoid that visit. ". . . But, uh, what about you . . . ?"

"Me? Oh, I was just going to check on my brother." Dahlia let her smile grow melancholy for a moment. "I actually haven't seen him since we got back to Four Island."

"You haven't?" Ryan raised an eyebrow and gave her a sidelong glance. "I'd have thought that'd be the first place you'd go."

The middle Seaton laughed. "No, the first place I went was my room for a long overdue nap." Her bloodshot eyes and pale features suggested she hadn't been very successful in that venture. When Ryan voiced his concerns, she grew somber once more. "I keep thinking back to the egg," she said softly. She paused and shifted uncomfortably. "How . . . things might have gone differently. Y-you know . . . during the battle, I-"

"Stop." Ryan looked directly at her. "You couldn't save everybody. That's not your fault."

"Th-that's not what I-"

"You weren't next to Adams. Or Pierce." Ryan's voice shook with emotion. "You didn't have the opportunity to save them. So stop beating yourself up over something that's someone else's fault."

Dahlia opened her mouth to protest, then promptly shut it and crossed her arms. "Well, excuse me for raining on your sob story!" she cried, tossing her hair with a jerk of her head.

The rest of the journey to the medical wing continued in an uncomfortable silence. Dahlia's arms remained folded over her chest while Ryan walked glumly beside her. When they reached the lobby, Ryan half-expected Dahlia to turn her irritation on the receptionist, but she spoke in a surprisingly calm, if strained, voice. The receptionist directed them to Aspen and Xander's respective room, down opposite hallways.

Steeling himself, Ryan made an effort to diffuse the tension before they went their separate ways. "Look, Dahlia . . . I'm sorry if I offended you. It's been a long day, and I didn't mean to place my burden above your own."

Dahlia stared at him for several long moments with an expression halfway between annoyance and empathy. Finally she turned on her heels. "My brother's waiting."

Ryan stared after her before turning toward Xander's room. He could only hope this conversation would go better than the last. Taking a deep breath, he knocked.

IC - Goldhawk/Silvermind/Bounty/Joker - Command Center, The Alamo:

Two days had passed since the events on Two Island, and nothing yet had happened. No sign of the egg hatching, no sign of unending death and despair--nothing. In that time, Goldhawk had not left the Command Center--all business that he had promised to attend to had been dealt with, and was being dealt with, from there, so that he could keep an eye on Team Liberty's monitors.

The third day passed by much the same--nothing. He had hardly slept for the past seventy-two hours. If this egg was going to hatch--if this creature was going to begin its rampage--why hadn't it yet? Preparations were nearly complete for their survey mission, but he was beginning to wonder if it was even necessary.

At some point, he had fallen asleep. Business went on as usual around him--technicians working around the clock, watching, waiting, careful not to awake their leader unless necessary.

All was peaceful--and then it wasn't.

An alarm blared.

Goldhawk bolted upright. Something was happening--the technicians were scrambling. He looked to the large monitor at the front of the room. A drone had been deployed; it was approaching Two Island. The technicians chattered. He caught only a word here and there of what they were saying--"seismic activity"; "aura disruptions"; "disturbances."

The doors to the Command Center opened. Silvermind entered, followed by Joker and Bounty. They approached, climbing the stairs to stand next to Goldhawk, all eyes set on the monitor.

"Drone D-47 approaching Two Island," a technician announced. "Activating primary camera."

It clicked on. At first, it showed only the flowing ocean passing underneath the drone's path. The ocean grew larger across the screen as the drone ascended. Water, water, water . . . 

Goldhawk's eyes widened.

Red streaks amongst the waves, washing against the shore. Things slithering, crawling up the beach. The camera zoomed in, allowing for a closer view of what was occurring on the island's surface. Wild Pokémon fled for their lives, pursued or soon caught--their blood spilled--by what appeared to be more Pokémon. But they were not. All were attached at their back to a strange sort of organic tube, which stretched and pulsed with each movement. They used attacks and moves that, for the time being, were not supposed to be accessible.

For the first time in his life, Goldhawk knew what monsters looked like.

IC - Two Island:

A booming crack echoed across the island. It was loud enough to disturb flocks of roosting Spearow and Fearow, sending birds and trees into a frenzy that barely died down before another and another crack rippled through the air again. With each thunderous break, the wildlife grew more and more disturbed. Wild Persian and Meowth pawed the ground nervously, fur standing on end and ears alert. The waters around Two Island grew uneasy. In the abandoned cities, Rattata and Raticate paused in their scavenging.

Everywhere, eyes turned toward the source--toward Cape Brink. If they could not see what was happening, they could certainly feel it in the air, in the aura of the island that began to grow more and more alien. There, at the Cape, cracks had begun to spread across the surface of the Great Egg. Its crystalline face, previously so smooth and untouched, reflected only spots of light now, as the cracks grew more and more severe. The land began to shake; the waters of the lake in which it resided rippled and wavered. Chunks of crystal fell from the egg and sent waves of water surging across the surrounding field, leaving Magikarp and Goldeen to splash helplessly amongst the grass.

As the quakes spread outward and across the island, so, too, did chaos. Those Pokémon that remained, trapped on the land, sought shelter where they could--in caves, in the roots of trees, in the empty buildings of the abandoned towns dotting Two Island. Flying-Types took to the air to escape the growing carnage, dodging falling trees and stones as well as they could. Hordes of Zubat erupted from caves, fleeing. The forests became a flurry of dancing branches and furious wings.

Soon, the quaking stopped.

The Egg was broken. Fleeting sunlight between broken, darkened clouds shone on the gelatinous red pearl within, reflecting back in the form of blood-colored light. Water cascaded into the basin-like remains of the egg, torrents that threatened to engulf the creature yet never managing the feat--for it seemed that as quickly as the waters fell upon it, equally as quickly did the monster drink. And as it began to drink, it began to grow, larger and larger and larger, until the waters no longer sustained its hunger and it began to stretch as if with hands, the edges of itself inching outward and pulling, stretching its body over the remains of its shell, spilling out into the lake.

By the third hour, it had stretched to the fields of mud and grass. Yet it did not stop. It continued its expansion, a slow, unstoppable march across the land, bearing down on the helpless prey around it in its gradual advance. If the Pokémon felt fear of their impending fates, they could do little to show it and even less to stop it.

By the fifth hour, the creature had reached the forest's edge. It had climbed the waterfall feeding into the lake, and it had begun to devour the house that resided there. It clung to trees and stone, slowly feasting, slowly taking them into itself. It had begun to rain. A terrible sense of horror and dread had overtaken the island now, and the wildlife had truly begun to flee, to run as far away as they could manage.

This would not do.

Symbols appeared across the blob's surface, two figure-eights crossing each other. From these, newer, small creatures began to pour forth. Maulice clawed their way into the world. Dozens of Driprown slithered from the creature's depths. From symbols atop the blob, harpy-like beasts burst into the sky, loosing their first screeches. Ape-like humanoids with massive claws emerged, shuddering from the light and rain and immediately burrowing underground. Finally, large creatures of stone appeared, some covered in pink crystals, others in blue. All creatures moved with one directive, in separate directions: Slaughter, and feed.

And so they did.

No place was safe. Driprown scoured the lake and surrounding ocean, overwhelming any and all resistance until the waters ran red. Then they moved inward, catching their land-based prey off-guard and herding them away from the island's edges with blasts of water. Those that tried to escape through the air found themselves at the mercy of the many Harpreak patrolling the skies, undeterred by the wind and rain; injured and dead birds rained down, free for the pickings. Maulice stopped their fleeing opponents with ice, and in tandem with the Chimerape that drove Ground-Types back to the surface, soon delivered a frozen platter to their main consciousness. And those wild Pokémon too strong for the others? They were met by the Sinystal, which fulfilled their duty with staunch efficiency, coldly using the power of their Rock-Type attacks to fell any resistance.

All told, the population of Two Island had dwindled significantly by the eighth hour. By the tenth, nothing remained that lived.

The Egg had hatched. And the Missing Number had begun its infectious existence.

Edited by The 8th Sinner

Follow me on YouTube!

rotrbanner.png