Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

... It's really that bad?Personally, I didn't really agree with most of the cast choices from the list. Luci Christian would have been perfect for Kanzaki, IMO, and there are some other roles I would have changed...Anyways, about halfway through Joshiraku. I really enjoy watching a fun, lighthearted comedy, and Joshiraku fits that perfectly.

After seeing a little of the Index dub, it's not as good as other Funi dubs. And this is probably one of their bigger series, so that's not good... Anyways, any news on the Railgun releases yet?Also just watched the newest SAO- it's a fantastic ending to the SAO arc, now I'm pretty excited for the ALO arc next. Also,

The part with Kirito waking up in a hospital in the real world was definitely a good way to end the SAO arc, as that pretty much clears up all the issues with how they survived. And the fact that Kirito also had long hair was a good way to show the passage of time.

I do hope that there's another season (don't see why there wouldn't be, it's been a super successful series over in Japan, plus there are more LNs), if for no other reason then it turning into an anime about a Japanese teenager playing an American FPS MMO. That should be entertaining.And I saw the premiere of Girls und Panzer... It was a rather plotless episode, but if nothing else, we learn that Miho was basically stalking her class, her two friends are the best friends ever (despite them for having known each other for what, a day?), and that something bad happened in Miho's past involving tanks. Oh, and its also the most abnormal thing ever for guys to drive tanks. Anyways, it sets up the series (but could have done it better), and I hope it will be enjoyable. Anyways, I'm hoping the R;N premiere will be much better.

Edited by III. Xaldin

• 2 weeks later...

This season is surprisingly good overall, after the past several meh seasons (they had some good shows but not all-around goodness).It may be a bit early to label what's 'best,' but I'm getting pretty good vibes from Shinsekai Yori and Robotics;Notes.Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S? YES YES YES.

Edited by Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

I need to watch Railgun, but I never have any free time anymore, and I need to get caught up in a few simulcasts... Anyways, a second season will be pretty neat, and I'm hoping that a third season of Index comes out after this. Because I hate anime that sort of just drop off in the middle of something and don't finish it (Index S2 definitely did that...).

Yeah, I just remembered, isn't the movie supposed to bridge the gap between seasons 2 and 3 of Index? Because then I'd expect word on a season 3 shortly after the movie.Anyways, got caught up on some of this season, SAO's ALO arct has finally begun, although I'm surprised Kirito jumped in as eagerly as he did, seeing as he just spent the last two years of his life in a death MMO. And Girls und Panzer is still all girls, no panzer (okay, so that's not quite true, there were more tanks in the second episode than the first), and I'm still wondering why the heck they're on a giant boat, but otherwise it's still worth 20 minutes of my week. Lastly I started Robotics;Notes, and I highly doubt that, in the next 7 years, a mecha anime will come around that's an even bigger worldwide hit than Evangelion, but who knows, R;N might just accurately predict the future.

Yeah, I just remembered, isn't the movie supposed to bridge the gap between seasons 2 and 3 of Index? Because then I'd expect word on a season 3 shortly after the movie.Anyways, got caught up on some of this season, SAO's ALO arct has finally begun, although I'm surprised Kirito jumped in as eagerly as he did, seeing as he just spent the last two years of his life in a death MMO.
Well, the person he loves is still in danger in ALO, and ALO doesn't have the death feature, if I've heard right.

The Redwall RPG; closed now
Update: RPG has migrated to another location and merged with another. Update 3/29/14 Still Alive 8+ years
Credit to Supernova Productions and Expired! for the Avatar.

Apparently I'm now Kopaka?

Yeah, ALO doesn't have the death feature, but he spent two years with that device strapped to his head, ready to kill him. But, Asuna being in ALO is a good motivator...And I'm pretty sure the official subs of Panzer don't use German, and the fansub of episode 2 I saw didn't have any German in it.

So I've finished a few things on my backlog. What does that mean? TIME FOR ME TO GIVE MINI-REVIEWS (No, Alastor, No!).First up is Code Geass: Akito the Exiled episode one. Ehhhhh, it's... well, I found it to be rather disappointing. I don't think it's far off to say Code Geass isn't really... well written. I found a lot of appeal in the show because how over the top and campy it is. I didn't really find most of that in this, sadly. The OST and Knightmare combat was nice, however. I hope it improves in the next episode. 6/10.Pika Don is the next. A friend of mine mentioned how this short terrified her, and gave me a link to watch it while I was discussing Barefoot Gen and Grave of the Fireflies with another friend. It's the original animated short about the nuke being dropped on Hiroshima. It was a... disturbing short when the effects of the bomb drop was shown. 7/10.Break Blade Movie 1 is a fantasy mecha movie, the first in a hexalogy adapting the manga of the same name. It tells the story of Rygart, an 'un-sorcerer' born into a world where people can use magic- the ability to manipulate quartz. as he heads to Binonten at the request of the King of the nation Krisna and old friend, Hodr. He finds himself dragged into a war between Krisna and the Athens Commonwealth, as well as finding himself piloting the titular Break Blade, a Golem (which are the setting's giant robots) of the past that doesn't require magic to use. I found this movie to be a fun and interesting watch that lays down the basics of the setting and narrative, and hope to watch the rest fairly soon. 8/10.Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari (lit. Story of the Holy Knight From Another World) is a Tenchi Muyo spin off in the GXP/OVA continuity. I'm not terribly much of a fan of Tenchi Muyo, and was interested in the fantasy mech elements. By the end of this, I was looking into watching the rest of the franchise. The story is about Kenshi Masaki, Kenshi's younger half-brother, being transported to the world of Geminar by Washuu(?). He begins to get intertwined with the politics of kingdoms at the Holy Land, a school for Seikishi, the pilots of the giant 'Seikijin'. He also has his brother's habit of attracting a harem. And despite being the weakest Masaki, he's still stupidly powerful. I'm not really a fan of harem shows, but Isekai was a very fun watch that had me laughing, even when the show forgot about the giant robots after the first episode until the eighth. 8/10.The Vision of Escaflowne was one of the best anime I have ever seen, and only second to RahXephon as my favorite. I'm not even kidding. It's easier to say what I didn't love about this show. The Guymelefs were great designs, the animation consistantly beautiful, the characters were compelling, the writing solid... So what didn't I like? MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD.

The reveal of Dilandau actually being Allen's sister Celena came out of nowhere, the ending being rather weak for the build up, and the fact that Prince Chid's parentage amounted to nothing

But even with the flaws, I would give Escaflowne a 10/10. This seriously should be seen by every anime fan.

hElbrZ6.gif

I need to watch Railgun, as the second season is just getting better and better...And I need to watch Escaflowne. It was recommended to me by a friend over a year ago... And I still haven't watched it.Anyways, I'm thinking about possibly watching the subbed version of Sailor Moon (as I'm a fan of the manga, and have all the Kodansha Sailor V/Moon releases to date), as my only experience with Sailor Moon before the manga was a bit of that awful dubbed/cut version. And, I'd like to have something to compare next year's SM reboot to.

I watched the first three episodes of Kishin Houkou Demonbane (lit. Roar of the Machine God: Demonbane).It is utterly painful! All of what I've read about the source material is seriously something that'd make a fantastic anime if done right. It's Giant Robots VS Lovecraft! That's two great tastes in one!Instead we get a botched adaptation that requires the viewer to be extremely familiar with the Cthulhu Mythos to the point the fansubs have to add a three minute notes section at the end of it to explain it all. For example, in episode 3 'Reaninator (typo is their own)', we start with Kurou and Al-Azif fighting a pink haired spiderwoman. I love the Mythos and I was lost at this, until these notes flat out state that this was Atlach-Nacha- one of the Great Old Ones.Who aren't even supposed to be possible to kill. The show doesn't even explain this. And that's actually pretty important!Also aggravating is that it tries to make that Naia = Nyarlathotep a mystery. Despite the fact anyone who knows what Demonbane is will be able to notice this right aware. And y'know, having this on screen for a second and a half. Which is long enough for someone to say 'wait, lemme pause this' and notice this.Not only this, but it's very apparent they're skipping chapters. This wouldn't be a problem. ...if we weren't being introduced to powers of the Demonbane and Kurou as well as given the objective of regaining the missing pages of the Necronomicon in those chapters. And the animation is terrible. It is ridden with off-model and terribly drawn shots that are on screen for minutes of a time.The only thing that's letting me continue watching this mess is the downright amazing antics of Doctor West, a mad scientist antagonist named after the Reanimator himself, and the music.

Edited by The Operator

hElbrZ6.gif

Well, having two days off has given me some time to catch up on my anime watching and manga reading. Anyways...Saw episodes 11 and 12 of Joshiraku. I'm quite excited to see the final episode, but it's sad to see a really good comedy series end. I know I'll watch it again, as I always rewatch comedy anime series a lot. I'm definitely going to check out the manga.Sword Art Online is doing it's usual between-boss thing, in other words, it's not too exciting. However, in the latest episode, we find out that Lyfa is actually

Sugu,

which makes the usual Kirito saves girl/becomes friends with girl/helps girl/leaves girl thing possibly a bit more interesting. Hopefully, we won't have too many more of those random encounters.Girls und Panzer is getting closer to the reason I watch it, girls in tanks blowing stuff up. There was a small practice tank battle in the latest episode, and they began a mock battle, only to end the episode right when it begins. Fortunately, It's at the point where I'm not too worried about the series lacking tanks. Oh yeah, and they still haven't explained why they're all living on a gigantic boat.And then there's Robotics;Notes, which is getting rather interesting. The Robo Cup was pretty cool, although the identity of Mr. Pleiades didn't surprise me at all, as it would have to be someone from the school, otherwise the series would just end right there. I do hope that the series ends up being at least half as good as Steins;Gate, and I'm glad it's going up instead of down.And I've read the 5 chapters of Devil Survivor that are out, and it's a pretty good adaptation (Which is helped by the fact that the game is basically a Visual Novel, with some RPG elements tossed in). Anyways, it makes some pretty obvious changes in the beginning (most notably Atsuro and Yuzu are the only ones set to die on the first day, instead of both of them and Kazuya), but they don't ruin anything, and actually make it worth reading for those who have played through nearly every ending in Devil Survivor, and more accessible for those who haven't played it.

Edited by Terminus24

Because I am a glutton for terrible mech anime, I decided to watch Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles even if it's not an anime as much of a spin off of a merging of three separate shows. I admit to having a fondness of Robotech, mainly the novels which are fairly good and the PS2 game 'Battlecry', which served as my 'Macross for PS2' until I modded my PS2 to play imports. It also showed me Genesis Climber MOSPEADA, which I enjoy as much as Macross.Normally I can find at least one good thing of these shows. Demonbane thus far has had great music and the wonderful Doctor West. Gundam SEED Destiny has wonderful music. Mars of Destruction had...uh...We'll get back to that one.This movie? If I told you "And then nothing happened for an hour and a half, the end", gave you a terribly animated and acted slide show, and a forgettable score, I would have saved you the pain of it. Because literally nothing happens. It begins numerous plot points, but resolves nothing.It even fails to supply the 'GIANT ROBOTS BLOWING THINGS UP, YEAH!' factor. It gives you no reason to care about these battles. It gives you no reason to care for the characters. On top of this, it's painfully animated. It's jittery. It's badly drawn. It's just unpleasant to look at.The writing is no better. As I mentioned above, literally nothing happens. Nothing is resolved. It just... rambles on, moving scene to scene in an attempt at forming a narrative that just... doesn't work.It's overall just a mess of a movie. 1/10.

hElbrZ6.gif

I hope that there's at least one more trailer, I'd hate for this awesome look to be the last thing we see of this movie for half a year.And then Final will come next year... If 3.0 is as awesome as its trailer implies, Final will have massive expectations to fulfill...

I just watched Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA 1 last night. It was quite exciting to see something from the CG universe for the first time in a long while. ^^ The only thing that's bad is that OVA 2 won't be out till Spring 2013....
I just watched it a few days ago, too! It wasn't as good as I expected, but part two looks promising... The ending theme was amazing (as expected from Maaya Sakamoto)! On another note, is anyone here watching anything from this fall's anime season? I'm watching From the New World and Chuunibyo Demo Koi ga Shitai!, and I plan on watching Little Busters and Robotics; Notes. :biggrin:Seeing someone talking about overpriced Aniplex releases reminded me that The Garden of Sinners is finally getting released. I need to get to buying that (though $150 is a lot...). I guess it's worth it for seven movies... :P
XD I agree, CG does have something promisining in the next OVA..especially...

C.C and Suzaku! :D

But yes, I did watch a few more DGM episodes but then I stopped again due to Tiger & Bunny and NO.6 (And then I saw the eng. dub trailer for BLOOD-C and OMG....I love it! ^^ ) I just hope Blue Exorcist gets released on iTunes (I know Blood-C will because FUNimation has comfirmed for mobile release along with home entertainment, webstream, etc.) .

For the Team! - Rin Matsuoka

tumblr_nc7x2n2uJ61so9j7zo1_500.png

Yeah, Girls und Panzer is beginning to pick up now. The first real tank battle was pretty entertaining, especially when the it got out into the city (that was when it got pretty funny). Anyways, now only one thing is bugging me, and its the same thing that's been bugging me since the first episode: WHY THE HECK DOES THE SERIES (mostly) TAKE PLACE ON A GIANT BOAT?!? That seriously needs to be explained, ASAP. It's inhibiting my ability to actually enjoy the show, because every second I'm watching it, I'm waiting for an explanation.Oh well, at least we got the tank battles I've been waiting for.

Really? Need to check it out...Anyways, I'm eagerly awaiting a plot summary. I really don't think spoilers will have any impact on when I watch the movie (cause plot summaries don't do Eva justice), and I really want to know about the new characters.Oh, and Utada did a new song for 3.0's end credits. Listened to it and like it.EDIT: Just saw the first few minutes of 3.0, it's pretty awesome.

The Space Battle was really cool, probably one of my favorite battles in all Eva continuity. And Mari was confirmed to be the pink Eva pilot, even though it was blatantly obvious before that she was. Oh, and the cathelmets are awesome.

Edited by Terminus24

HOLY ****HOLY ****Early spoilers of Evangelion 3.0 (and yep, pretty much all confirmed):

The movie apparently takes place 14 years after 2.0 (What the ****?)There are at least 13 Eva Units (Again, what the ****?) (and Confirmed)The brown-haired girl in the trailer is apparently Suzuhara's sister, just older.And Misato is apparently a pilot if some giant, awesome space thingy. (What the **** one more time, and there are pics.)

Yeah, so early spoilers have pretty much blown my mind.

Edited by Terminus24