Mata-Nui's Campbellian Hero Cycle

A while back, I studied Joseph Campbell's famous Hero Cycle. If you don't know anything about it, i recommend looking into it briefly. Anyways, I wondered how well Bionicle fit into this hero cycle, since so many other heroes (Luke Skywalker, Frodo, Odysseus, etc), and using The Legend Reborn and the Bionicle Glatorian comics, I filled in the hero cycle for Mata-Nui. Since he doesn't really do much before Bara-Magna, I consider his hero cycle to start then. Tell me what you think, and if you agree!Hero Cycle:Call to Adventure: Mata-Nui lands on Bara Magna and a body is created for him.Refusal of the call: He refuses to be Metus’ Glatorian.Supernatural Aid: Click, the Scarabax beetle who turns into a shield; the mask of life, which grants magical powers at certain time.First Threshold: Fights off an attacking Vorox with his new powers.Belly of the Whale: Metus takes Mata-Nui into the city of Vulcanus.Road of Trials: Helps save Ackar from Strakk; attacked by Skopio and Bone Hunters; training from Ackar.Meeting the Goddess: Kiina, who is fascinated by him and wants to travel off the planet with him.Temptation (From the Path): Focusing on his own personal quest instead of helping the citizens of Bara Magna.Atonement: The universe is rid of Makuta, the evil that had plagued it.Apotheosis: Mata-Nui’s physical form is destroyed but his spirit remains immortalized.Boon: Spherus Magna is restored to its original form.Refusal of Return: Tahu asks Mata-Nui to stay with them, but he cannot, at least not in his in his physical form.Magic Flight: Mata-Nui uses his power to revive Spherus Magna and destroy his physical form.Rescue From Without: Tahu leads the ground forces to defeat Makuta’s minions.Return Threshold: Sacrificing his physical form.Master of Two Worlds: He can choose where he wants to spend his existence, even though he chooses to not live in his physical form.Freedom to Live: The people of Spherus Magna can live without the fear of Makuta.Other Hero Traits:Shapeshifter: MetusAnimal Familiar: Click the Scarabax beetleMentors: AckarWearing the Enemy’s Skin: Makuta is in Mata-Nui’s old body (kind of opposite of wearing enemy’s skin)Prophecy: Chamber that the Glatorian find underground(Sources: Bionicle: The Legend Reborn, Bionicle: Glatorian: Issues 3-7)

Masonzero, Toa of Zero

Yep, Mata Nui fits the hero's journey motif fairly well. Not really much more to discuss, though, as you went over almost all of the parts.However, a few of the parts seem off. How is Mata Nui atoning when he destroys Makuta? His atonement takes place during his saving of Bara Magna, as he atones for his failure to keep control of the MU. Also, for apotheosis, that would also be, in a physical sense, when he gains the prototype robot.It would be interesting to see how the hero's journey works when applied to Vakama. I imagine that would work even better.~B~

Edited by Ballom

Excellent idea for a topic. I would love to see a whole range of topics like this focusing on different characters. :)Interesting choice to pick his coming to Bara Magna as the start. I wouldn't have thought that would fit but you fit it well. (I haven't looked much into the Hero Cycle though, just heard of it etc.). I could see, though, how you could fit it, kinda, from the start of his existence, mainly because I don't see a refusal of the actual call, since he came to Bara Magna already having mentally promised he would return to stop Makuta, and that's the more important call. Your reasoning could work instead, but lemme try it my way for fun: Only the first parts need changed.Actually I can see it two ways. First:Call to Adventure: Mata-Nui is created, and his body is the giant robot, given the mission to fuse the planet.Refusal of the call: He forgets about the mission; there was some suggestion that he did, hence the Blade Burrowers to remind him. In this interpretation he would think of his observing other worlds as his job, but the call would be returning to reform Spherus Magna. Not sure if this is canon though.Supernatural Aid: The Blade Burrowers reminding him, etc. Also the Toa awakening him later.First Threshold: Makuta's attacks.Belly of the Whale: Unconscious for a thousand years, then body usurped by Makuta.Road of Trials: Exiled from his own body, various trials while trying to get help on Bara Magna.Or, more likely:Call to Adventure: Mata-Nui is created, and his body is the giant robot, given the mission to fuse the planet, and also supposed to care about the universe inside him.Refusal of the call: He neglects the universe inside him, more interested in observing and probably the main mission.Supernatural Aid: Accidental sapience makes some Toa and other beings rise to the occasion and help him.First Threshold: The same accidental sapience enables attacks by Makuta, etc. thus making him need the help.Belly of the Whale: Unconscious for a thousand years, then body usurped by Makuta.Road of Trials: Exiled from his own body, various trials while trying to get help on Bara Magna.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Wow, i congradulate you on all of the time and effort that you put into this; for it is certaintly one of the more interesting topics i have seen.The way you put it is an interesting one, though i find myself agreeing most with bonesii, since mata nui was indeed active before bara magna.Also, welcome to BZPower! (Well, actually it appears you have been on for a good four years, but it appears you have only just became active.)Even so, i hope you enjoy it here!-Dwanny

Dude! I remember studying this in eighth grade! Fun stuff! :lol:But, yeah, I totally agree, and I've picked this up with some other characters, like Takua. Anyone else agree? :)

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

But, yeah, I totally agree, and I've picked this up with some other characters, like Takua. Anyone else agree? :)
Yeah, Takua fits well too. Also, most of the Toa team leaders do too, along with probably a few like Matoro and Brutaka.~B~

Excellent idea for a topic. I would love to see a whole range of topics like this focusing on different characters. :)Interesting choice to pick his coming to Bara Magna as the start. I wouldn't have thought that would fit but you fit it well. (I haven't looked much into the Hero Cycle though, just heard of it etc.). I could see, though, how you could fit it, kinda, from the start of his existence, mainly because I don't see a refusal of the actual call, since he came to Bara Magna already having mentally promised he would return to stop Makuta, and that's the more important call. Your reasoning could work instead, but lemme try it my way for fun: Only the first parts need changed.Actually I can see it two ways. First:Call to Adventure: Mata-Nui is created, and his body is the giant robot, given the mission to fuse the planet.Refusal of the call: He forgets about the mission; there was some suggestion that he did, hence the Blade Burrowers to remind him. In this interpretation he would think of his observing other worlds as his job, but the call would be returning to reform Spherus Magna. Not sure if this is canon though.Supernatural Aid: The Blade Burrowers reminding him, etc. Also the Toa awakening him later.First Threshold: Makuta's attacks.Belly of the Whale: Unconscious for a thousand years, then body usurped by Makuta.Road of Trials: Exiled from his own body, various trials while trying to get help on Bara Magna.Or, more likely:Call to Adventure: Mata-Nui is created, and his body is the giant robot, given the mission to fuse the planet, and also supposed to care about the universe inside him.Refusal of the call: He neglects the universe inside him, more interested in observing and probably the main mission.Supernatural Aid: Accidental sapience makes some Toa and other beings rise to the occasion and help him.First Threshold: The same accidental sapience enables attacks by Makuta, etc. thus making him need the help.Belly of the Whale: Unconscious for a thousand years, then body usurped by Makuta.Road of Trials: Exiled from his own body, various trials while trying to get help on Bara Magna.
I remember Campbell saying something in Hero with a Thousand Faces about how the cycle can not only take place over the course of one's entire adventure, but also within certain chapters of that adventure. For example, a person goes through the cycle over the course of a lifetime, but also goes through several of these cycles every day. So perhaps your model can work in conjunction with the one focusing on Mata Nui's adventure in Bara Magna.