The Chronicler Preliminary Poll - Kopeke

Chronicler Poll - Kopeke  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vote here for your favorite Chronicler story; entries have been randomized. Please MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL ENTRIES BEFORE VOTING.Voting begins now and will end on July 2nd at 11:59 PM EST. Entries that do well will move on to the Chronicler Final Poll, which will be posted at the conclusion of the 10th round preliminary poll.

Choice #1:

"Kodan's Last Chronicle"

Kodan’s Log, 34-18

We left early in the morning from the Coliseum to the northernmost of the sea gates that surrounded Metru Nui. For a very long time, they had been open to allow trade ships and refugees from less stable lands in. However, Turaga Dume has ordered they all be closed, as a threat against our city has been discovered. This is the last gate to close.

I travel with Toa Sesho, Toa of Psionics, and Toa Hetilus, Toa of Iron. I do not know why two Toa are required for a task as menial as closing gates; I, or any Matoran, could easily operate the controls alone, but Turaga Dume knows what is best. We can only hope that he will

Kodan put down his log book as the boat came to a stop. The three passengers disembarked and began for the machinery that closed a large door over the gate, and did so without word. As they finished, a shadowy figure emerged from the depths of the sea. He performed his task as silently as he did efficiently. Toa Hetilus’s Kanohi Kakama was knocked into the sea during the battle, and Kodan’s log entry was never completed.

--------------------------------------

Choice #2:

"But Never Fun"

“Why?”

“Now, that’s too simple a question to too complex a situation.”

“I don’t think you believe that. You did it because you could.”

“There is some truth to that. But if you thought that was all it was, you wouldn’t have asked anything at all.”

“Enlighten me, then. Why?”

“Well, it all started when—well, you should know yourself. You were there at the battle of the Rotting Gorge, were you not?”

“Not close enough to know what you’re referring to, and that was an enormous battle to begin with. My account was written based off other’s, too.”

“That seems to be how most of your work is done.”

“Indeed. Which makes our present situation most awkward.”

“I suppose. But then, a coward would be expected to think that.”

“I prefer not to think of myself that way. I am simply not openly suicidal.”

“Then why won’t you come closer? Do you really think I could hurt you in my state?”

“I don’t know if you could or couldn’t. As it is, I’m trying to figure out if you would.”

“Be a little more trusting.”

“I would rather not.”

“Do you remember what happened at the Gorge?”

“A lot of things happened at the Gorge. Be a little more specific.”

“I mean the Nova.”

“You should have just said that.”

“You should have known that’s what I was talking about.”

“I’m not a mind reader. You should know that, at least.”

“…Do you remember the Nova?”

“Of course I remember the Nova. That’s all anyone talks about when the Gorge is brought up.”

“Yes…And for good reason. That devastated both sides and killed both Toa and Skakdi. It would be irresponsible not to discuss it.”

“Don’t make me laugh. You never had any intentions of discussing it. You probably made up your mind the second you saw it.”

“Oh? And what is it that I decided?”

“You decided it was awesome.”

“It was probably awe inspiring. But then, that’s your opinion as well.”

“Sure. But that doesn’t mean I would want to repeat it.”

“Empty words, Matoran. You do not have the power required to do it even if you wanted. Perhaps if you did, it would be a different story.”

“Perhaps. But maybe that’s why I am not a Toa, and why no fools like me should be, either.”

“You haven’t heard all I have to say yet.”

“I doubt your situation will improve either way.”

“Anyway, as you well know, that Nova ended the conflict. Our commander had been the one that detonated, while he was battling the Skakdi warlord. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much of either left after the blast (Or of a few dozen others), and the front ranks were left in disarray. Truly a messy situation.”

“What’s your point?”

“Well, one of the commander’s main aides, one the casualties of the Nova, was a very close friend of mine. According to another mutual acquaintance,

she had sensed the commander’s intent before battle, but did not warn anybody.”

“Then she was a fool.”

“I thought so at first. But then I wondered why she would keep quiet about something like that. Then it struck me that none of us had ever seen anything like a Nova before. It is the grandest demonstration of a Toa’s power possible. Wouldn’t you be curious to see how much power you really had, even if the marker was only the extent of destruction you caused?”

“Not at all, but that aside, my question remains. You were there. So why again?”

“Because I wasn’t. The Rotting Gorge is enormous. All I saw was some smoke out in the distance. I only learned later that my friend had been killed.”

“And because you weren’t present, you felt you needed to repeat the Nova.”

“Yes.”

“Then you are also a fool.”

“Yes. And now I am sure, so was she.”

“Her foolishness cost dozens their lives. Why would you do this?”

“Well, only one life is ending today, and it’s the life of a fool. I don’t see it as a great loss.”

“Then you are a greater fool than I thought.”

“Why?”

“You are a Toa. Without you here to protect us, how many more will fall?”

“That’s why you’re here, Chronicler. Tell others the story of this fool. Warn them of my stupidity. It should be fun.”

“It is true that that is my Duty. But if you think I will enjoy it, you truly understand nothing.”

Choice #3:

"Stars and Memoirs"

An elderly Turaga sat at his desk, tablet, pen, and ink before him. His white-and-orange armor glinted in the dim light. He dipped his pen in the ink and began to write.

"I've lived a long life and a full life. I actually don't remember most of my life, thanks to the Makuta Teridax. But of the life I do remember-- Oh, such things as I have seen and done."

He set down his pen and gazed out the window at the moon rising over the ocean. Thousands of memories floated behind his eyes. He lightly touched the upper portion of his Kanohi, the Noble Vahi. After a moment he returned to the tablet.

"Before I pass among the stars, I have decided to create this Chronicle of my life and adventures. Heed, dear reader, within this volume lay many untold tales and once well-hidden secrets. But before I begin, let me give an introduction.

"I once lived on an island paradise we called Mata Nui. From there my people crossed the Silver Sea to reunite with our ancestral home, and before long I was dragged along on a string of other adventures, finally ending up in a strange and marvelous world. It was a place which I had never known existed, and one whom few even now know to exist. A time of great strife was passing over that forgotten land, and it was at this time that I found my destiny. As a Toa I devoted my entire energies to the task of caring for and leading my new people. From there things got even stranger, but I've already said too much on that subject for the time being."

He glanced out the window again, in reflection. So many adventures he had had, and the next would soon begin.

"The world of Spherus Magna has been at peace for many a year now, and I feel that it is the time for a change. My old components are itching to be traveling again, and there are many a younger being keeping watch over Natoro, the city for which I am Head Turaga. I have always had a love for exploration and adventure. Natoro is beautiful, it is true, and there are many here for whom I care, but they will do fine without me. Indeed, I have already explored much of Spherus Magna and encountered many beings, old and new, friendly and not-so-friendly. Now it is time for me to move on to the next chapter."

He paused again. His people, along with many hundreds of Spherus Magna's best engineers, had been hard at work for the last few months, working on a major new project.

"You see, I have recently discovered an old volume, one ancient in origin. Indeed, it seems that this tale is older than the Matoran Universe itself. It tells the tale of a brave band who, under the orders of those Ancients, the Element Lords, took command of a machine which the Elementals had invented, and set off among the stars themselves. There they encountered entire new worlds and great perils, worlds of paradise and worlds kept under iron fist. Indeed, they remained on this long quest, and never did stop reaching for that last, unreachable star, as it were.

"This tale has so inspired me that I took it upon myself to reinvent this old machine, the likes of which had never been seen or heard of before besides from the tale itself, so far as I am aware. The city of Natoro agreed with me, and indeed, so did many a city among the broad expanse of the United Cities of S.M., that in this time of long-lasting peace this oppurtunity to forge new frontiers and expand horizons will be more than worth it. They have agreed with me, and I am overjoyed that they have also agreed to let me take part in this mission myself. I shall be the Chronicler, a title which pleases me to no end. My people have been hard at work, and in just a few short weeks the new Star Explorer shall be complete.

"I am overjoyed at this new prospect. I could hope for nothing preferable before I pass into those realms of which only Mata Nui knows for sure. But now, dear reader, before this new chapter begins, let me consign to you these tales of the past. If you are brave, then press on into the depths."

Choice #4:

"How to Be a Chronicler"

You want to be a Chronicler? You can’t just walk up, tell the Turaga you want to be a Chronicler, and get your badge just like that. For one, you go to the Turaga and ask for an application form, and secondly you need to follow certain qualifications. Luckily, we’re here to help! Here’s a list of 17 simple steps for any aspiring Chronicler-to-be.

1. Be a Matoran. Toa, Turaga, Agori, Glatorian, Skakdi, Vortixx, Makuta, Visorak, Takea, Gadunka, Great Spirits, Great Beings, and whatever Sidorak’s species are called cannot apply. No, this is not species-ism in the slightest. It’s a story requirement. You think Takua kept his position after he became a Toa? Nope, he got ousted ASAP and Hahli took his place. And she got ousted when she became a Toa. In short, DON’T BE ANYTHING OTHER THAN A MATORAN.

2. Be stupidly courageous, stupidly adventurous, and stupidly stupid. Do stuff that would make any daredevil cringe. I mean, come on, who wants a Chronicler that just sits down and writes? Go out and get yourself blasted into amnesiac status because of a few glowy stones. Go and chase a certain weird-looking rock even though you’re going to die unless a random Toa appears out of nowhere.

3. Give up and just go mad. It would help a ton. Trust me.

4. Bend the truth. No one wants to hear about how a random Le-Matoran ate a Bula Berry. That Le-Matoran did NOT eat a Bula Berry. He ate a whole bushel of EXPLOSIVE Bula Berries, while swinging on a vine, while fighting flying Takea mutations, while staring into Makuta’s eyes, without his mask, Gukko birds chasing him, all before he lets go of the vine, flips in the air, and hijacks one of the birds to engage in a daring dogfight. Now THAT’S a story. Did it happen? Yes it did.

5. Look for loopholes. The above story happened…in my mind. There.

6. Never go into specifics. They’ll be the death of you. I’m not even exaggerating.

7. Exaggerate. This is different from bending the truth. Bending the truth is adding details. Exaggerating is amplifying them. The Gukko Birds in the above story were poised to self-destruct if the Le-Matoran even touched them, but he did and he lived. That’s exaggeration.

8. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS italicize and/OR capitalize EVERYTHING you SAY. IT ADDS A TON of emphasis and makes STORIES so much MORE INTERESTING. WE want INTERESTING NOT BORING. ALSO BREAK YOUR CAPS LOCK SO IT’S ALWAYS ON. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU’RESCREAMING THEN. WE LOVE SCREAMING.

9. TABLET AND CHISEL ONLY. PENS ARE EVIL AND WERE THE REASON ELIMINATOR KILLED KODAN. HE USED A PEN FOR A STORY SO HE DIED. ALTHOUGH HE RODE A VINE WHILE EATING A BUSHEL OF EXPLOSIVE BULA BERRIES. BUT THEY EXPLODED BECAUSE OF ELIMINATOR. DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE HE DID.

10. EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS.

11. GET INTO TROUBLE WITH YOUR LOCAL TURAGA. PUT A DISK LAUNCHER AGAINST HIS HEAD OR SOMETHING. OR BURN DOWN A VILLAGE. TELL EVERYONE THAT THIS IS A DREAM AND MAKE THEM WONDER WHOSE IT IS AND IF THEY’RE ENJOYING IT. ALSO EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS EXPLOSIONS.

12. DO NOT TALK ABOUT HOW TO BE A CHRONICLER.

13. DO NOT TALK ABOUT HOW TO BE A CHRONICLER.

14. EXPLOSIONS.

15. BE YOURSELF? YEAH, THAT SEEMS RIGHT. THAT’S WHAT EVERY HOW TO GUIDE ENDS WITH. BE YOUR MAD, INSANE, TROUBLESOME, EXPLOSIONY, EXAGGERATING, TRUTH-BENDER SELF.

16. FIND AN IMPORTANT RELIC. MAYBE, SAY, SOMETHING LIKE A MASK OF LIFE? IT MIGHT BE IN A CAVERN WITH A POOL OF LAVA AND NO WAY OUT.

17. OBEY AND SERVE ME. ADVANCE THE PLAN.

After these 17 simple steps, you should be ready to go out and apply for the job with no fear! Good luck, and may Mata Nui be with you always!

Sincerely,

By Katuma Xedirat

Choice #5:

"The Close of the Civil War"

Any good Chronicler knows that a story is no more than a sum of other stories.If a worthy Chronicler happened upon the Makuta-led massacre of civil war leaders in the Archives, that Chronicler ought not to think of only the heres and nows — the bodies strewn across the floor, the bloodstains on Teridax’s blade, the morbid satisfaction betrayed by his grin — but of the befores and afters.Such a Chronicler might say: There lies Odipheus the Po-Matoran, his right arm separated from the rest of his body, his eyes open in an empty gaze: Odipheus, who had pleaded in his prayers for the chance to face he who dared to incarcerate him, now free from bodily pain; who had asked that blood be shed and received his wish in more ways than one. And there lies Ta-Matoran Karhi, whose fiery temper ignited the hopes and fears of his kin, intimidating in death as he was in life: who drew his sword only to serve his friends and, in the end, gave up his life for them.That Chronicler might continue and note the Ga-Matoran Kokora, who courted Odipheus for a time before being repulsed by his rebellious streak and, for the duration of the Matoran Civil War, served only as healer and assistant. He may remark in brief about the passing of Ko-Matoran Irhu, perhaps the most pragmatic among those of the coldest Metru, who preached for cool heads and was rewarded being flung into battle with the opposite.But there was no Chronicler here.Teridax was cunning. As he had determined the war would end on his terms, so end it would — along with the talks of rebellion and the songs of heroes wrongly apotheosized and villains improperly labeled, of the very essence and hubris that had caused the conflict in the first place.Oh, Miserix would be furious if he discovered, and the Matoran would cry foul.But — and here lay the inherent pulchritude, the beautiful simplicity of his plot — Teridax would have cleaned the blood off his blade by then, and he would speak with squared shoulders and somber eyes of how he had been offered no other options. He would speak of a defender backed against a wall and forced to strike out against those he had sworn to protect. And no one would correct him.For he had made certain that he, and no virtuous individual, no Matoran or Toa — only he would write the chronicle of how the civil war came to its close.

Choice #6:

"Treasure"

Takua's hut was a mess. But he liked it that way. Everyone told him he needed to organize, throw things out. But he liked all of his possessions, and knew where all of them where located. Need a five inch wrench for an air tube? Look in the pile by the northeast corner. Need a leash for an Ussal Crab? Hanging on the wall right next to a Mahi horn. Sure it wasn't professionally curated, but that was a job for the archivists. He wasn't an archivist, he was an adventurer. And today he was going to have an adventure. He'd heard rumors of a valuable object floating around Ko-Metru. And if there's one thing Takua loved, it was valuable objects.

His first stop was to talk to a Matron named Kapura. He was supposed to be on duty, but Takua knew he preferred the company of the junk piles. He made his way over to the Ta-Metru dump, and sure enough, Kapura was there digging as usual.

"Hey, Kapura!" Takua called. "I need you to--"

Kapura brought his fingers to his lips, halting Takua's speech. "Quiet!" He whispered. "Spies could be anywhere."

"Sorry," Takua whispered back. "I've heard rumors of a valuable object hidden in Ko-Metru. I know you have an ear in every rumor mill of Metru-Nui and was wondering what you've heard"

Kapura leaned in close and whispered in Takua's ear. "They say there's something embedded in the very top of Tower 43," he said. "Nobody wants to go after it, though. Vahki guard that place like it's a widget reserve." Kapura stopped talking, his eyes looking around panicked. "We're being watched!" he exclaimed, "Run!" And with that he took off. Takua looked around, but he didn't see anything. He carefully slunk off toward the nearest tube station.

-

He shortly arrived in Ko-Metru, and quickly made his way toward the Knowledge Towers. He noted from a map that Tower 43 was located below a cliff. Approaching from the cliff, he noticed about the tower. Unlike the rest, which ended in points, this one didn't. Instead it was capped with a flat platform. There must be something there. He went into his backpack and took out rope, stake, and hammer. Pounding the stake into the cliffside, he tied the rope around himself and made a makeshift rappel line. He breathed slowly, gathering his courage, before jumping from the cliff.

He climbed down quickly. The Vahki would see this. He jumped three feet from the top and immediately started to search. It didn't take long. He saw an object embedded in the ice, and without thinking grabbed his hammer and smacked the ice. The ice cracked. The object fell out. He threw it in his backpack without looking at it. He knew Keerakh were coming. He climbed the rope as fast as he could.

When he got to the top he just ran. The nearest tube station was a quarter kio away. Looking back he didn't see any Keerakh. But you never saw Keerakh until it was too late.

-

The tube station was in sight! Takua's lungs were burning, but he didn't dare stop. When he got to 22 bio away, he turned back.

Nothing.

He looked ahead.

There was a Keerakh.

He sprinted. The Keerakh ran toward Takua, it's staff glowing. It swung. Takua lifted his legs, plopping to the ground like a wingless bird, and slid on the ice right under the staff. That move would have never worked anywhere else. Getting up, he continued to sprint, and at what he figured was the last second, jumped into the tube. Takua was out of breath. He was choking on the protoermis, but he had to leave the Vahki behind. Right before he passed out, he jumped out of the tub. He landed hard, but the breath he took was heavenly. And as the green trees indicated, he was out of Ko-Metru.

-

Takua took a relaxing trip back home. When he was finally in his favorite chair, he opened his backpack and looked at his find. His jaw dropped. He couldn't breath. In his hand was the ultimate treasure: a gearbox from the original Vahki model! They should have all been destroyed, but here was one right in his hand! He guessed that it accidentally got stuck in the tower during growth.

He put the gearbox on his wall of fame. It sat right beside a Ga-Metru temple stone and an iron ingot.

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender