Toy Fair 2014: Direct 2 Consumer

TF14_D2C_teaser.jpg

Sometimes LEGO makes products that it doesn't sell through its normal retail channels, and those products are called 'Direct to Consumer' or 'D2C.' They usually don't get displayed at Toy Fair, but this year LEGO decided to show off a few, including revealing the Ghostbusters Cuusoo set! It was a nice change of pace that I hope to see continue moving forward. To see what was on display, read on!

View the full article

All three of these sets are beautiful.

My younger brother bought and built the Simpsons House, which is by far the most complete LEGO house ever released. I have never been a Simpsons fan — I've never even watched a full episode — but I can definitely appreciate the artistry in this set's design and the faithfulness to the source material.

The Eiffel Tower set is not actually Direct-to-Consumer as far as I know. Like the other Architecture sets, though, it is probably more likely to show up in specialty stores like museum gift shops than in traditional toy stores. Of chain stores in the United States, I know that Barnes & Noble Booksellers carry most of the LEGO Architecture lineup, including the Eiffel Tower. It's a beautiful model that uses some clever building techniques to achieve a very accurate likeness of the subject.

The Ghostbusters set is a fantastic model, which in my opinion offers an even better likeness of the Ecto-1 than Brent Waller's brilliant original model (though of course the set has the advantage of being able to use some very recent parts and brand-new recolors). It's fantastic that it has room inside for three minifigures, and the minifigures themselves are also a delight. I can't wait to read a review when this set is out! LEGO Cuusoo has really proven their ability to create quality products from already brilliant concepts, and I look forward to whatever sets it might have to offer in the future.