Young fans.

UngluedBike

There are a lot of young kids in my neighborhood who love Lego, and they treat me like a god. It's cool because they don't try to scam me out of my rare and old parts like my brother does, but it gets annoying sometimes. Nonetheless, I introduced them to Bionicle and with its return they will be able to buy the sets like I did as a kid. I'll be buying them too, since the age on the box is just a suggestion.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

There are a lot of young kids in my neighborhood who love Lego, and they treat me like a god. It's cool because they don't try to scam me out of my rare and old parts like my brother does, but it gets annoying sometimes. Nonetheless, I introduced them to Bionicle and with its return they will be able to buy the sets like I did as a kid. I'll be buying them too, since the age on the box is just a suggestion.

Nice! I just rarely come in contact with the little kids in my neighbourhood; now that you say that, little kids seem like a great source of LEGO parts.  :D

Yeah, it's pretty much guaranteed that the return of BIONICLE next year will cause an influx of new members to join one of the biggest and oldest (I think?) BIONICLE forums on the interwebz, especially as it is one of the first results you get when you search 'BIONICLE forum' in Google even if the dated homepage may be putting them off slightly  :P

• Upvote 2

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Twitter Flickr

I've already seen not only several new members popped up since Bionicle's return was announced, but also many older members rising from the ashes, which to me is just as important. I know that I have been more actively involved around BZPower as a whole since the return was announced, and I look forward to BZPower expanding from two different areas, as young fans discover the site and older fans return.

I popped up!

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to seeing it how it was, and being a part of it. However, I think that almost five years of activity despite Bionicle's ending has brought out a central core community that will probably remain intact in some way, which will help the site retain its "small town" feel.

-Letagi

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say there will be an influx of new members, but I don't believe it will be quite like it was back in BZP's heyday.

Depending on how popular the new Bionicle series becomes, it may come close.  I'm sure that diehard Bionicle fans like BZP members could probably buy enough of the new sets to solidify its popularity.  If the story proves to be as similar to the original as it appears, this generation of kids will probably love it just as much and for the same reasons we did, and that spawned 9-ish years worth of Bionicle the first time around. 

iNRDRQK.png?1

DANMAG!

BZRPG Profiles

I'd say there will be an influx of new members, but I don't believe it will be quite like it was back in BZP's heyday.

Depending on how popular the new Bionicle series becomes, it may come close.  I'm sure that diehard Bionicle fans like BZP members could probably buy enough of the new sets to solidify its popularity.  If the story proves to be as similar to the original as it appears, this generation of kids will probably love it just as much and for the same reasons we did, and that spawned 9-ish years worth of Bionicle the first time around.

Well, I would say there could be reason to be slightly skeptical. From my personal experience as a netizen both during BZP's heyday and today, I feel like these days the dedicated fansite/forum is a less prominent community model thanks to the rise of social media like Facebook, Tumblr, and YouTube. Back in the day BZPower and similar dedicated Bionicle fansites were some of the only places to discuss things like Bionicle with other fans, but social media provides an alternative that is in many ways more likely to reach young fans who are already active on sites like Tumblr or Facebook.

I think BZPower is doing a great job of adapting to this by establishing a presence on the most prominent social media sites, and its good rapport with Lego (which allows the site to obtain review copies of sets or other exclusive content) should help it to attract new users as well. But it's a different internet today than it was almost 15 years ago.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Well, I would say there could be reason to be slightly skeptical. From my personal experience as a netizen both during BZP's heyday and today, I feel like these days the dedicated fansite/forum is a less prominent community model thanks to the rise of social media like Facebook, Tumblr, and YouTube. Back in the day BZPower and similar dedicated Bionicle fansites were some of the only places to discuss things like Bionicle with other fans, but social media provides an alternative that is in many ways more likely to reach young fans who are already active on sites like Tumblr or Facebook.

I think BZPower is doing a great job of adapting to this by establishing a presence on the most prominent social media sites, and its good rapport with Lego (which allows the site to obtain review copies of sets or other exclusive content) should help it to attract new users as well. But it's a different internet today than it was almost 15 years ago.

Yes. Very different. Back then, google was still new, social media was unheard of, and there was no BZPower or Youtube. Also, no memes, no "#gates", not as many flame wars, no mmos, etc...

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

• 2 weeks later...

What will the new fans think of old Bionicle?

Their opinions on it will probably differ as much as those of old fans. There will probably be new fans with a voracious appetite for discovery who pore over all of the media from the original story just to discover the source of the new one (and possible hints at what direction it might take next). There will probably be new fans who will try to buy as many of the old sets as possible just to make their collection of the new sets even more complete. There will probably be new fans who, when exposed to the old sets or story, find it confusing, or lacking, or otherwise inferior to the Bionicle theme they fell in love with. And there will probably be plenty of new fans who just don't care about the old Bionicle since it's so far removed from the Bionicle theme they're invested in.

I can't say for sure how many of each type of new fan there will be, but suffice it to say that they aren't going to be a like-minded group any more than current fans are.

I can picture like, 7-year old kids bringing there Bionicle 2015 to the park to battle, and one kid bringing in a Kopaka Mata, and everyone will be like

"What's that?"

• Upvote 1

cringe