Bionicle 2015 vs Bionicle 2001?

Ashnazg

Set-wise: I like the sets from both 2001 and 2015. I think they both have their ups and downs. For example, the 2015 sets are overall build better than the 2001 sets, though that a given since Lego sets have improved as the years have gone on. On the other hand, I like the Kanohi Masks of 2001 a little more than the 2015 masks. Not that I don't like the new masks, because I do think they are cool. I just like the originals more. Probably do to nostalgia. :P

Bottom line, I like the sets from both years.

Storywise, I cannot say just yet. I would like to see how the 2015 story plays out before comparing it to 2001. So I will answer this a year from now. :)

Completely agree 100%. I like some things better on each of the new sets, but cant really compare story-lines until I see how the 2015 story-line plays out in full. That said I already dislike the villains from this series. Even though it is so far very different, I can help but think the villains seem too similar to the Hordika spiders (which I much prefer to the small skull spiders. The lord of skull spiders is pretty neat, but as with other Lego sets, I wish they had actually made his face a special piece instead of applying a sticker/decal). I like them both for different reasons (like the 2015's larger bodies and better weapons over the 2001 heroes, but prefer the 2001 masks). I guess we're lucky Bionicle got a reboot at all, so we should'nt really be complaining. 

Overall, I think 2001 is better in the immersion aspect because of MNOG and more complex terms like Kanohi, Matoran, alphabet etc. It really feels like you're in an island full of living robots. 2015 (as of now) only have these rushed animations that don't focus too much on the new Island (Okoto). More than knowing the heroes, I want to know this new wonderful place, it's people and it's culture, and this is lacking in G2. For example, who are the protectors ? What are their names ? What is the daily life of the villagers ? 

2001 also had waaaay more media. 2015 only have the online animations.

2015 sets aren't even comparable to 2001 sets, they're poseable, and different from each other and, so 2015 wins in this aspect.

Character development is another aspect which 2015 wins, but at the same time, it needs more characters than just the Toa.

So in the end, 2001 is better because of it's immersion, which I hope G2 will introduce to us later.

• Upvote 1