Toa Mata Detour

We now know the Toa Mata were created as a failsafe for if Mata Nui were ever to fall asleep, or at least that is what their destiny became after a year or so. They were locked in the Codrex in Toa Canisters, which were supposed to be shot into space and land near the Mata Nui Robot's face. Once there, the Toa Mata would descend to Metru Nui and from there make their way to Karda Nui, where they would, again, enter the Codrex, awakening Mata Nui with shocks of their own elemental power.But why that detour? They were in the Codrex in the first place and they had everything they needed for the job (elemental powers). Isn't this just a massive opportunity for things to go wrong, as they did?The launching of the Canisters can't have been part of the malfunction. For one, BS01 says it was part of the original plan, and on top of that both the Makuta and the Metru seemed to know about it and count on it.So: why that detour?

Well, for one, I'm certain they didn't know what their journey was supposed to lead to, and they did their necessary duties, or what they thought was right to do or what the only thing they thought they could do. Besides, if they had immediately gone back to the Codrex, issues on Mata-Nui wouldn't have been solved, such as the Bohrok. However, they wouldn't have been transformed into Nuva, but they would have still become the Mistika and Phantoka forms they have now, I guess.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Well, it was the Toa Mata's destiny to become Toa Nuva, which probably couldn't have happened if they had originally stayed in Karda Nui. So maybe they were suppose to be launched out of Karda Nui, get to the Island of Mata Nui, travel through the Bohrok tunnels to Metru Nui (becoming Nuva on the way), and then go back to Karda Nui with their stronger elemental powers. Also, according to the Gali Nuva Blog serial, they had a list of objectives to do. They couldn't have done them if they had stayed in the Cordrex.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Besides, if they had immediately gone back to the Codrex, issues on Mata-Nui wouldn't have been solved, such as the Bohrok.

Also, according to the Gali Nuva Blog serial, they had a list of objectives to do. They couldn't have done them if they had stayed in the Cordrex.

Ah yes, the Scroll of Preparations. I completely forgot about that. Stupid. I guess this can be closed now.

Also, if there hadn't been a list of somewhat obscure preparations mentioned in a side-story, remember that Metru Nui had to be populated. The story spent a lot of time and energy on this, so that's at least one thing every longtime fan should understand; the Mata would be sent out to make sure of that if nothing else. :) I think the simple answer is just "make sure everything's in order and if not, fix it." After all, presumably they would never be needed if everything was still in order. It's quite possible the direction of launch might have been different had the top priority happened to be somewhere else, although this is just a theory on my part. The top priority happened to be at Metru Nui because Makuta caused the Matoran to leave, and that also happens to be where they headed first (more or less). Thanks, guys, for the other answers, and on topic starter request this will now be closed.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)