Pillar and Pedestal

Pahrak Model ZX

Phoeba walked down the hall, her stride purposeful but not rushed.  Around the bend came another Toa: his armor was the same organic substance as hers, but orange where hers was blue, and he wore a Mask of Emulation.  He was empty-handed and focused on the floor—not unusual for him.

“Morning, Sukahu,” she called out.

His eyes rolled towards her.  “Morning.”

They slowed as they reached each other, Phoeba delicately saying, “Welcome back…I guess you didn’t find it?”

Sukahu chuckled.  “Oh, I found it.  But it didn’t do anything.  I just gave it to the Turaga, if you want to see for yourself.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Sure you are,” he mumbled.  At regular volume he added, “I don’t want to hold you up.  Good luck with whatever it is she wants you to do.”

After Sukahu passed her, Phoeba looked after him for a moment before continuing forward.  She rounded the corner he had come from and walked through the open doors, coming to a sunlit chamber filled with empty benches facing an elevated desk.  A Turaga of Air with organic armor and a Huna stood behind it, apparently lost in thought as she examined the strange sword in her hand.

Phoeba cleared her throat.  The Turaga gasped, reaching for the cane on the desk and partially drawing the blade hidden in it.  When she saw the Toa, she sighed, and then sheathed the weapon so she could support herself as she hobbled forward.

“You mustn’t startle me, Phoeba.  My old heart can’t take many more surprises.”

“My apologies, Turaga Leum.”

She eyed the odd weapon the Turaga held.  From its handle it split into two branches that curved out and then upward, and the inner tip of one branch then curved inward towards the middle of the weapon before curving out and rising into a long blade.

“I saw Sukahu, so I assume that’s what he went looking for?”

Leum nodded.  “The Sword of the Great Spirit, said to grant its bearer the power of Life.”

She tapped the flat of the blade against the nearest chair a few times.  “Seems not all legends are true.”

“How do you think he’s taking it?”

“He came back.  That’s more than I expected.  But, the reason I’ve asked you here is because someone else has not.”

Phoeba held out her hand, helping the Turaga balance as she took a seat.  The Toa sat on the opposite side of the center aisle.  Leum leaned her cane against the chair in front of hers, set the ‘legendary’ artifact across her lap, and closed her eyes for a few seconds.  Phoeba waited patiently.

“Do you remember Cordag?” Leum finally asked.

Phoeba thought a moment.  “She was…involved in the defense of the White Quartz oasis, I believe?  She was the one who tried to save the third squad’s leader from the Zyglak.”

“That’s right.  The other day, I sent her and some others to salvage the caravan that we lost near Old Atero just before those Bone Hunters inconvenienced me.  Her teammates returned last night: apparently, a wounded Skrall was there, and Cordag tried to help him.  He didn’t make it.”

Phoeba nodded.  Leum continued to pause, so she gently asked, “And Cordag?”

Leum rubbed the guard of the sword she held.  “They say she snapped.  Tried calming her down, but once she started threatening a Nova Blast, they had to pull out.”

Looking up at Phoeba, she added, “So, I won’t order you to go if you don’t want to.”

Phoeba stood automatically.  She didn’t want to take into account whether she wanted to or not.  “Old Atero?  That’s a few days by sand stalker.  Do you really think she has that much time?”

“Dreynarn can take you on her rock steed if you’re worried about time.”

“Oh, Dreynarn’s back?”

“You know she likes to work quickly.”

After mulling it over a minute, Phoeba nodded.  “It sounds like we should be as quick as possible.  I’ll contact Dreynarn and we’ll get going, but please send someone with a sand stalker behind us—rock steeds can’t carry much supplies, certainly not enough for three people.”

“I’ll find someone right away,” Leum said.  “I wish you luck, Phoeba.”

The Toa bowed and left the chamber.  She started to sigh, but upon seeing some Matoran entering the building, she cut herself off and smiled.

Phoeba dismounted the rock steed, stooping to examine the tracks in the sand.  The Toa of Iron who remained on the creature’s back said, “I could easily immobilize her.  We may have to render her unconscious briefly when I run out of energy, but the sand stalker will certainly bring a Mask of Elemental Energy that can last us the rest of the trip.”

“Thank you, Dreynarn, but I’d prefer we didn’t handle things that way.  Please stay here.”

Dreynarn vacated the saddle and gestured to her rock steed, letting it know it could lie down to rest for the time being.  Phoeba advanced towards the stone ridge a few dozen paces away.  As she drew closer, she could see the river that flowed on the other side, and a Toa of Water with a wide scar on her shoulder rocking back and forth as she sat at its edge.

Phoeba slowed her pace, feeling something in her stomach tighten.  “Cordag?”

The Ga-Toa’s head whirled around.  Her organic Volitak had part of its edge eaten away, allowing green light to spill out from behind it.  She glared at Phoeba and barked a cold laugh.

“What an honor!” she said, turning back to the river.  “The great Phoeba herself is sent to retrieve me.  How do you plan to heal me, wise one?  I’m so very interested to see your process.”

Phoeba felt her neck muscles tighten.  She advanced to the river’s edge, being sure to leave space between her and Cordag, and kept looking forward.  “I’m glad to see you alive.”

Cordag ground her teeth.  “The Skrall wasn’t so lucky.”

“How many times have you had to watch someone die?”

“Ha, like anyone could keep track of that.  You’d think I’d be used to it!”

“Is this the first time you tried to save someone?”

“What does it matter?”

Phoeba didn’t respond.  Cordag leaned her head forward, rubbing her neck, and said, “…Fine, yeah, it’s the first time I tried saving someone.  I mean, treating wounds and that sort of thing.  I’ve done the standard jumping in during a fight thing a few times, not that that always worked—you were there for one of those.”

She pointed briefly to the rotten edge of her mask before running her fingers through the sand.

“I remember,” Phoeba said.  “Not many Toa are brave enough to tackle a Zyglak head-on like that.  I was impressed.”

Cordag laughed.  “Spare me.”

Phoeba waited a moment.  “So you hate seeing people die?”

Clenching her fists, Cordag said, “People die, Phoeba.  It’s just that there are some times I should be able to do something about it, and I can’t.”

Phoeba steeled herself.  Turning to face Cordag, she asked, “And why does that bother you so much?”

Cordag glared at her.  “What?”

“No one can do everything, Cordag.  I’m sure you did all you could, but failure—“

“Shut up!”  The other Toa was on her feet now.  “You don’t understand what it’s like for the rest of us!  You’ve always been a Lightning type, but I was supposed to be Water!”

She aimed a water jet at the stone ridge.  It was laced with electricity, and blasted a small hole in the rock’s surface.

“Water is supposed to be life.  It’s supposed to be soothing, and welcoming—Toa used to be able to use it to heal people!  But if I tried doing that, I’d only kill them!”

She prepared another blast, but then she saw a few lizards scurry out of the cave and stopped short.  Grabbing her face, she grunted in frustration; Phoeba slowly started to edge towards her, ready to move in at a moment’s notice.

“If it weren’t for the stupid Red Star, I could’ve saved that Skrall!  I could save people, but now I’m…some monster!”

“You’re not a monster,” Phoeba said calmly.

Cordag threw a punch.  Phoeba caught it, grabbing her fist and not letting go.  “What does it matter to you?!  You didn’t have everything about you rewritten!”

She punched Phoeba in the shoulder with her free hand.  “You didn’t have to give up your dreams!  You weren’t handed the power of death when you were expecting life!”

“You’re right,” Phoeba said.  “But a lot of others know what it’s like.”

Cordag slumped.  “Right.  I’m no different than them, so why should I—“

“That’s not what I mean.  A lot of others go through this, and most of them just resign themselves to it.  But you’re still trying to save people.  It might not always work, but you keep trying, even though it’s much more difficult than you had hoped it would be.”

She smiled her most genuine smile.  “You really are brave, Cordag.”

The Toa of Water stared at her for a minute.  Then, she started to sob, gradually falling forward to lean against Phoeba.  Phoeba embraced her, placing her hand carefully to not hit her scar.

“You must be exhausted, being out here so long.  Let’s head back to New Atero, okay?  Turaga Leum will be very happy to see you again.”

• Upvote 1