Is there value in mismolded parts?

banana92

Bionicle G1 ran for a collective 10 years, and in that time we saw Lego rise from it's ashes to the toy power it once was.

Even in that time, lego never sold themselves short on quality.

I remember growing up as a kid, and though I never received a set with the wrong amount of parts, my best friend did get a little short handed on Pohatu mata way back in 2001, I thought nothing of it, if not a little upset for him, but as a kid I didn't understand how much of an undertaking it was for lego to make sure that every set had every piece.

So when I was browsing around online several months ago, looking for a good deal on a trans yellow Kaukau, I never expected to come across my greatest bionicle possession, My mismolded Kaukau nuva, but I cannot help to wonder, what is the demand for such a find, or any mismold really, I was never one interested is mismolds (loving symmetry as I do  :P), so I was stunned to see that the flaw was down the middle, and such a major "flaw"

The mask has grown on me so much, and though I do not collect Nuva era masks, I still know it's importance, and just wonder what else is out there that surely missed our eyes, I know of a mismolded Miru, Pakari and Huna, all of which are not so "down the middle" and relativily out of sight if you don't know what to look for (maybe with the exception of the Miru)

So what stories do you have? What obscure items shouldn't exist but do? and what do you look to own in the world of mismolds?

Kaukau, lighting is off center: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/banana92/Mismold-Kaukau-Nuva/rear_kaukau.jpg

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

I have a mismold dark gold mask of shadows.

It has a bubble indignation in the right check.

As a kid I always saw it as battle damage.

I haven't seen any other mismolded Kraahkan in any color. If anyone has information on them or has one themselves I'd appreciate it.

Edited by ToaTimeLord II

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I have a mismold copper Huna of victory, but instead of being unique or special it's just ugly unfortunately

oh well

:kakama:

I think you were the owner of the Huna I was refering to, its still cool though, at least to me, feel like we own something one of a kind! Edited by banana92

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

I have a Vohtarak minifigure with mandibles that aren't fully molded.

As for value?  Aside from whatever value one might find from having a mismolded part, a part might be useful if it's mismolded significantly enough to have a novel shape, such as a Vahi-sized chunk of a Hau.  Though anything like that would probably be caught by QA and not released.

OpAXNpl.jpg