1.jpg

^links to gallery when public^

I made this creation on a whim, just putting pieces together and fooling around with a Bigfig. After awhile, I realized that it was getting more and more complex. With this in mind, I started working harder and adding more. Eventually, I looked over it and thought it was actually coming along rather well. Until I noticed one thing.

It didn't have legs.

Not only that, I also had no clue what I was going to do for legs. So I built a makeshift pair for walkies for it and slapped them on, along with a tablescrap set of arms. I tried new concepts and different ideas, but was too lazy to do anything to meet the standards I set with the body. So the terrible legs and somewhat cheesy arms stayed. Oh well.

Please, do look at all the photos. It gives you the best idea of what the creation looks like, so I ask you to not just go look at the first picture and say "well it looks pretty okay except" and judge your entire opinion off of that, thank you.

Comments and constructive criticism are very much appreciated.

:)

Enjoy, if at all possible.

DISCLAIMER: The pictures are very big and take some time to load. They also have high filesizes, so open at your own risk.

Edited by Squishypony

overlordsukapon.png

You know yourself that the legs aren't pretty, but take them off and you've got a promising WIP. I hope you work more on it.The body is the best part. It looks mechanical and I like the tubes and the technic panels. The gears look fairly functional, but I don't like the protruding ones that sit out on the large black gears.The pilot sits in well, but he looks very exposed. A rollcage or a windshield would be good for both looks and his own safety.The arms don't match the body's functional-mechanical feel. With the current body I'd expect the arms to use pistons, tubes, or gears. The shoulders also look quite flimsy, in contrast with that great big body.So, what I'm saying is; you've got the core of the MOC down well, but you need get the limbs to match. If you're going to redo the arms and the legs, integrate pistons or gears or whatever. It's important to make sure you don't just add them on as afterthoughts, because they won't look functional or realistic if they're just sitting out on top of the limbs.I hope all this made some sort of sense. wacko.gif

The body is the best part. It looks mechanical and I like the tubes and the technic panels. The gears look fairly functional, but I don't like the protruding ones that sit out on the large black gears.

The protruding gears were originally there for a reason, but as time went on they lost their reason and I kept them on because I thought they still looked fine there. Thinking back on it, they really don't look very good there and I probably should have taken them off.

The pilot sits in well, but he looks very exposed. A rollcage or a windshield would be good for both looks and his own safety.

YES. I wanted to do that so much I really couldn't find anything that looked good in any way, but if(most likely when) I revisit this MOC he will definitely be given a rollcage/windshield, along with actually good legs and suitable arms.

The arms don't match the body's functional-mechanical feel. With the current body I'd expect the arms to use pistons, tubes, or gears. The shoulders also look quite flimsy, in contrast with that great big body.

Absolutely agreed.

I hope all this made some sort of sense. wacko.gif

made sense to me wacko.gifAnd thank you very much for commenting. :) Edited by Squishypony

overlordsukapon.png

Hey, y'know, it's not that bad. I would've covered up the minifig more, and the legs aren't the best, but the body, c'est magnifuque! (or however you spell that). I myself tried making exosuits a few times, never worked very well. Of course, I never tried with one of those figs, so..MTL

Hey, y'know, it's not that bad. I would've covered up the minifig more, and the legs aren't the best, but the body, c'est magnifuque! (or however you spell that). I myself tried making exosuits a few times, never worked very well. Of course, I never tried with one of those figs, so..

I would've covered him up, too, but I basically got really lazy about it and couldn't get anything I liked enough to keep. Yes, the legs are terrible. You can say that and it won't hurt my feelings at all. xP Glad you like the body; it's undoubtedly the best part of the whole MOC.Thanks for your input!

overlordsukapon.png

As you know, the main body is the gem of this creation. It is solid and just seems to feel right when you look at it. Interestingly enough, despite their afterthought construction, the legs have the right gait. If you (and you said it was a probably) revisit this, start from scratch on the legs as you most likely planned to anyways, but build the new ones to have a similar gait.The arms aren't too bad, but they need to either be shorter or longer. If you want it to be a construction or melee fighting mech, it needs longer arms to reah outwards from the body - they wouldn't be able to do much as they are. It you want a ranged-type combat mech or something of the like, shorten the arms to keep them in a little closer to the body. The Kanoka launcher with the laser sight or whatever suggests the latter and the Lehrak staff type moreso suggests the former, so you could make it work either way. Just choose one to focus more on and eliiminate the middly-lengthedness of the arms because they look a bit awkward as is.Otherwise...

...c'est magnifuque! (or however you spell that).MTL

*Whisper* It's C'est magnifique! *Wink* Edited by Maganar

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

Aside from the unprotected Techicfig, it's awesome. The legs are very well built, and the arms are too. The torso is the best part. I like all those gears, tubes, and panels on it.

Nah, I still think those legs stink. Arms, too, but to a much lesser extent. Thank you, anyways!

I actually like the unprotected look, gives it a feel of a mining or construction robot. Perhaps you should embrace that and give it some drills or something.

Thanks for the input. The thing is it wasn't meant to be a construction robot or anything of the like, so the unprotected look kind of throws it off in some ways.

The arms aren't too bad, but they need to either be shorter or longer. If you want it to be a construction or melee fighting mech, it needs longer arms to reah outwards from the body - they wouldn't be able to do much as they are. It you want a ranged-type combat mech or something of the like, shorten the arms to keep them in a little closer to the body. The Kanoka launcher with the laser sight or whatever suggests the latter and the Lehrak staff type moreso suggests the former, so you could make it work either way. Just choose one to focus more on and eliiminate the middly-lengthedness of the arms because they look a bit awkward as is.

Dude, thank you so much for this post. That is definitely going to come in handy when/if I redo this MOC. I totally agree with everything you said in every way conceivable. Thanks much once again for this very informative and helpful post. :)

overlordsukapon.png

In my personal opinion, the legs aren't that bad. Could be better, (Made walker style, as my personal prefrence) but nothing to nag about.The body was a bit bulky in my opinion, perhaps giving it a "sharper" shape would be better. 8.5/10.PS: Where does that giant mini-fig thingie come from?

pNNgXax.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In my personal opinion, the legs aren't that bad. Could be better, (Made walker style, as my personal prefrence) but nothing to nag about.The body was a bit bulky in my opinion, perhaps giving it a "sharper" shape would be better. 8.5/10.PS: Where does that giant mini-fig thingie come from?

but they're terrible raarghIf I had wanted to give it a sleeker body, I would've. Like this, it looks sturdy and bulky, which is what I was aiming for.The Bigfig comes from some old Technic motorcycle sets or something. I don't entirely know, but whatever.

Whoa, he is still awesome. His body looks a bit too bulky for his legs though.

Actually, his legs are too thin for his body. =PThanks for the input, guys!

overlordsukapon.png

but they're terrible raarghIf I had wanted to give it a sleeker body, I would've. Like this, it looks sturdy and bulky, which is what I was aiming for.The Bigfig comes from some old Technic motorcycle sets or something. I don't entirely know, but whatever.

Whoa, he is still awesome. His body looks a bit too bulky for his legs though.

Actually, his legs are too thin for his body. =PThanks for the input, guys!
Well yeah XD. What i meant =P

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!