R P G: Stríð Karla

Alex Humva

IC [Crash Site #2]The cargo had been secured, the colonel's strategy of using flashbangs and long range killings having worked well. The crates had been hauled out and locked up, ready for transport to wherever the Forum so chose. With the word of a second craft, though, the battalions present went to full alert, men taking up roof mounted machine guns while soldiers scrambled for cover. If the ship intended to come for the cargo, they might as well be ready for whatever may come. They'd probably all die, but **** it if they'd die whimpering.[Forum]"A second craft?" The Stan ambassador immediately reached down to her bag and pulled a bottle of adkov, taking a generous chug from it before putting it back down. "I agree with the Varangian ambassador. We must not fire on it until we know it is truly hostile."[Disputed Border]The vessel hovered over the border, giving the troops present a good look at it. It was practically the same as the crashed ship, though it was obviously much shiner. It hovered for some time, about half an hour, before pulling back to the skies. It would have to search from orbit.

Edited by Programmer Alex Humva

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC (Forum)"If it comes down to blows, know this, it was an honor to be here tonight....and if these creatures can bleed, then we can kill them. Maybe we stand a chance if it comes to war. But...but, yes, we should not fire until fired upon." The High Councilor stammered, still in a state of shock.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC:The Astarian nodded. "And based on how tough the last one is, I doubt we could do much."

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC (Forum)"If it fires upon us, we must, as one, throw whatever we can at it and hope that, at the very least, we can convince it we are much more trouble then we are worth." The High Councilor said, stating the obvious. He paused. "Yes, FTL does seem more or less confirmed. What shall we do if this is a precursor to invasion? What if the skies of our world are no longer our own?"IC (Crash Site)Bylan forces scrambled alongside their international comrades. The attack helicopters they had sent to patrol around the craft and look for escapee's were fueled and prepared for lift off, if the new craft came here and proved to be hostile then helicopter pilots would do all they could to hold it back until help could arrive. They would all die screaming in a few seconds more likely then not, but at least they would die fighting. Most of them hoped it didn't come down to that of course. But each was prepared to lay down their lives.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC:Astaria has begun keeping an overwatch of Crash Site South with a Shadowbolt, and has offered to do the same with Crash Site North.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC(Kiserre/General): While the Kisseans weren't quite prepared for the previous anomaly, they were quick to react the second time around. A messge was recorded in all known current and extict languages of Earth and broadcast out into space, hoping to attract the attention of the alien craft.The message was simple: "Greetings. Welcome to Earth. We of Kiserre wish for you to open communications and for no thought pf hostility from either of us."

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

IC:When the Shadowbolt located the alien craft on its radar, the pilot began widely orbiting it, hoping to keep track of it. Meanwhile, an Astarian soldier produced a video camera and had recorded the sight of the craft hovering with no visible means of production. A report eventually reached the forum.IC:When said report did, the Astarian ambassador cursed. "Artificial gravity, it looks like. What we could learn..."

-Rover

OOC: Was it actually stated that the craft had no visible means of propulsion, or are you just really fond of artificial gravity, even though it's impossible?Also, it was indicated that the craft was returning to orbit. Can Shadowbolts go trans-atmospheric?

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Alex called the other one a smooth cylinder with no apertures or anything like that, so no fusion thrusters or jets of any sort, then said this was the same type.I like artificial gravity. It's a very interesting tech.IC:When the craft ascended to orbit, the Shadowbolt pilot gave up. This was a job for satellites, or those obscenely high-altitude surveillance planes the Aquilonians definitely used that were still a secret for some reason.

-Rover

IC: Aquileon's response was more placid. It scrambled no forces, as the opinion amongst the decision-makers was that this was likely the alien equivalent of the Coast Guard.OOC: Bitter much about the Kestrels? Besides, your peeps have no way of knowing about them. :w:

Edited by Lloyd: the White Wolf

OOC: Remember the sheer-chance photo that one observation satellite took of the Kestrel when it was trying to get pictures of the first Reverene rocket?

-Rover

OOC: Xom, the bit about apertures refers more to windows and doors than means of propulsion. I know Alex well enough to know that he knows that I'd give him un-ending grief about the ship propelling itself with artificial gravity.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: At the time the Aquilonese were the only ones who had much against Astaria, and had just gotten expelled from the country because they were trying to infiltrate Reverene. Kind of a logical conclusion.Well Alex, does the thing have visible means of propulsion?

-Rover

OOC: Still suspicion enough.More importantly, we already spent like fifteen pages talking about this.

-Rover

OOCSomething to put out in-game, Lloyd; me and you may have long talks on the matter, but at this point in-game we have absolutely zero idea of what is going on. They could probably judge that it a patrol vessel, but other than that, even the Foundation would be wondering what it was, besides a rescue craft.Since I have no great urge to have Rover hound me for breaking physics more, the ship is most certainly not flying by artificial gravity. I adhere to the Einstein model of the universe, that is, gravity is a result of massive amounts of mass distorting the fabric of space. As such you couldn't properly replicate that without your ship promptly imploding on itself, even if you did have some way to distort space, which these guys do. I did specifically state that it fired thrusters as it de-orbited; the ship is smooth, but there's still a main battery of engines in the back and thrusters scattered around the vessel. The method of hovering was achieved with some really nice VTOL engines.Something to put out, in-game, this has been little over three days since the ship appeared out in space, to now, as its rescued. Lot of stuff for three days.IC [Royal Academy]The creature hesitantly stepped out into the cold, wrapping the blanket further around itself. It had some sort of boots on, so its feet had protection from the cold. It looked to the sky after they had reached a nice open garden (garden, sitting area, terminology didn't matter), then went back into its ship. It returned with the other three creatures, them standing outside while the creature tinkered with a previously unseen panel on the craft. Then it reached into the craft and pulled out what looked to be a mortar cannon. Before any guards present had the bright idea it was a weapon, the device was set on the ground, a few button taps, and then it shot up a flare not unlike that from the northern crash. Varangian TV over the landmass was disrupted, and it eventually blinked out of view.Minutes later the new craft descended, hovering a good five hundred meters above the ground and giving scientists all over the Academy the sight of their lives. A smaller craft, not entirely unlike the design of a Terran helicopter, detached from inside the ship and flew down. It landed in the open area, possibly crunching a few benches, and its side doors opened. From it stepped two suited beings, the same general shape and size of the creatures that had crashed, though it was hard to tell due to their heavily armored forms.The lead crashed creature stepped forward, and exchanged some gibberish with the armored one. Eventually it gave an alien equivalent of a sigh and turned back to the Varangians. It remained silent for a moment, as though it was thinking. Then it gave the nearest engineer its hand held device and walked off, followed by its fellow creatures. They loaded into the helicopter and the craft took off, making its way to the larger ship. In seconds it was inside, and the craft began to pull up and away. In minutes it had left the atmosphere and passed the Luminous telescope one last time. The telescope, and the ones on Earth that were in the proper positions, got a picture as the craft began to glow a redish-orange, the signature sign of a craft redshifting, and then blinked out of view, gone from sight.OOCThey might be only simple cargo haulers, but they know how to show gratitude for not getting dissected.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC:The ASA, at this point, was left with only one possibility; faster-than-light travel. Now they knew it was possible and practical. It was just a matter of finding the right way to circumvent Einsteinian physics and somehow ignore the speed of light. Fortunately, they'd collected a good bit of data on the ship. First off, its blueshifted appearance when it appeared, and redshifted when it disappeared, was eerily close to the made up FTL of a television show that was popular among the ASA, though in that the colors were applied to wormholes.Given that the craft was blueshifted up when it appeared, it was obviously moving very fast relative to Terra when it did so. The redshift on disappearance was stranger; it was as if the ship had abruptly slowed down relative to Terra, even began moving in the opposite direction.Whatever was learned would have to come from Crash Site North.

Edited by cardworkMagician

-Rover

OOCGood to see someone got that reference.IC [Crash Site #2]Meanwhile, at the crash site, SSC had radioed in and said that the ship had left. The troops there were relieved, of course, but they still had jobs to do. While they had done a remarkable amount of work in the time so far, the ship was massive, and by effect its cargo load. There was still much to clear out, and even more to search. For instance, there had to be some point on the ship were it was piloted from.

voidstars.png

OOC: Babylon 5, right?IC: Forum"I have a proposal." The Astarian representative announced. "The Space Patrol should have exclusive rights to any technologies developed from alien tech. They would also have the discretion to decide which technologies are and aren't released into the world below."She turned to the Bylan and Stan representatives. "Also, could the Astarian Space Agency send a team in to examine the ship?"

-Rover

IC (Forum)"That is impractical. We can ban it and wag our fingers all we like, but...well, there is a tale we tell. There were two villages, and both were great friends with two dragons that perched upon differing mountains. Both pledged to never ask the dragons to intercede on their behalf in war or peace. The day after the pledge, one village was burned to the ground by a dragon. Words are nice. But in the end they are words. Actions matter more then that and it is my experience that knowledge, once acquired tends to spread to others less scrupulous. Besides, if this were passed we would have no means of defense if the Space Patrol was disabled. Always best to have a backup plan." The High Councilor paused for a moment at the request of the Astarian Space Agency.. "I will defer to the Stan here. I am neutral on the issue."

Edited by Basilisk

IC: "I disagree--I do not think the 'Space Patrol'--and I still think UNSC is a name that garners more respect and sounds less like space cops--should be an independent governing body. Aquileon will not cede its sovereignty to any body, which is one reason why the Forum has no official power. Only the agreement of the present nations makes treaties binding. I propose that the UNSC be modelled on the current Luminous project.":w:

IC [Forum]"As we speak Standast is rife with tales of the alien craft. They will expect answers, and the First Minister has never looked kindly on shielding advances from the public. Standast will not defer to a council to decide what it can or cannot share with its population." The ambassador shrugged. "The ASA may do as they please, though I do implore you to tell them not to touch anything. The last man who did it currently is on three different tables up north, and they're still picking alien bits from him."I agree with the Aquileonese ambassador, though I feel the Forum Space Control or Forum Space Command or something of that vein would be better. Luminous has thus far been a success for all involved, reaping many scientific innovations and bringing many ideas about the universe to the table. The key fact here however is that it is extremely stable, with little to no bickering. It would be the perfect system."

voidstars.png

IC:"Are we the only ones who didn't rampantly disregard our treaties? My predecessor heard that same tale from the Stans, almost." The Astarian ambassador sighed, reaching for her drink before realizing one of her aides had swept it away. Probably a good thing. She decided. "I see Space Patrol won't do. It does sound like a sci-fi buddy cop show..." She chuckled. "The name ought to be something generic enough that it can be translated into any language without losing its meaning. That's important, given that this is an international venture."

-Rover

IC [Forum]"Maybe the Terran Space Organization? All three words are easily translated into their concepts. Terra, our planet. Space, what they're flying around in. Organization, a group, a social structure, etc. It also doesn't carry... military intentions that might provoke an attack."OOCI like the ring of the TSO.

Edited by Programmer Alex Humva

voidstars.png

IC:The Astarian Ambassador nodded towards the Stan one. "That'll do nicely."

-Rover

IC (Forum)"Third insult today if I haven't lost count." The High Councilor muttered. "I have no issue with basing this off of Project Luminous, it is a proven system. The main point I am concerned about at this point is how we will get these lovely defenses we are currently talking of. A joint funding program?" He paused. "The Terran Space Organization? That is one of the better suggestions I have heard. I have no objection."

IC:"Well, we have a couple options. If we were willing to give the TSO the control of Alien tech it could fund itself by charging royalties. I mean, what if we invent a better refrigerator from those Cryo pods? It's not a problem for our colder compatriots, but keeping milk and meat preserved was almost impossible in Astaria until refrigerators were cheap. Say, an ounce for each, one for every home in Astaria alone. That'd be enough to launch another Reverene rocket..." She paused. "But as we are? I say we each devote a certain amount from what our country produces. If you have gold, fund them directly. If you have Aluminum, ship it up for them to make into starships. If you haven't got anything to contribute? Well, they can always use food and crewmen." She paused again. "Jegus. Feeding these people is going to be insane. We'll need orbital farming stations of some sort, to get around the shipping costs."

Edited by cardworkMagician

-Rover

OOC: "jegus"Xom, it is not absolutely necessary for you to include little tips-of-the-hat to whatever you've read lately in everything you do.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: It was the first thing that came to mind...

-Rover

IC:"How is Luminous funded, anyway?"

-Rover

IC:"I still say this ought to be its own organization, led by Aquilonese, recruiting from and provided by Terran nations, but also above our petty quarrels."

-Rover

IC (Forum)"Upon further thought, I object to any nation holding a leadership position. This must be a coalition of equals." The High Councilor stated.

IC:"Someone has to be in charge. If we elect a representative from each of us to make a council, one of those representatives will dominate the group by force of personality; parliamentary bodies are always like that. Even with us, it's usually either the Aquilonese or the Stans who have the last word. But I'm taking Varangian practice, here. The Astarians, who had the idea, choose a nation they think is sensible to lead; Aquileon. Aquileon chooses a commander who they think is sensible to lead; like someone from Project Luminous or their own military. But from then on, the TSO chooses their own leaders, without input from us. They need independence."

-Rover