what do you do with your duplicates?

confused piraka

Very much depends on the set. Many sets hold interest to me for combiners, and I have a shortlist of all the ones I intend to complete and hold onto. Likewise, I have parts lists for those combiners so sometimes I'll just take partials for that. Many sets canonically are just one of many (Bohrok, Vahki, etc) and I will often hold onto those for army building. I've been buying a lot of lots the past few years and so I have a mini-army of Bohrok this way.

Some sets I've specifically set out to get doubles of - I own 7 Exo-Toa (1 for my collection, 6 for each Toa). Just recently completed that, and have an extra set of Toa to display in them. Otherwise, I'll comb them for parts for combiners/canon fan models/other things I'd like to build. You'd be impressed how much of the Kanohi Dragon you may have from extras (for me it was roughly 50%). Depending on how you buy lots, this can be a good way for getting expensive parts. A lot of those recent canonization contests from the last few years have decimated the market for parts, which is incredibly annoying. Lots tend to alleviate this to some regard - though you're paying higher up front costs. Partials or otherwise unfinished sets that I don't have much else to do with get disassembled and fed into my extra parts. Fun to have those around to mess with, even if MoCing isn't really my thing.

Ones that I don't really need or want extras for, I keep around with the intention to sell them at some point. Gotta fund those Protodermic Kanohi Nuva somehow...

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

On 1/12/2023 at 7:55 PM, confused piraka said:

how big is your bohrok army?

(thanks a lot Tobc amazing analysis as always. you are sooo helpful)

As of the moment:

- Tahnok (5 - 1 for collection, 4 extra), Va (3 - 1 for collection, 2 extra) + 2 partial Bohrok

- Kohrak (3 - 1 for collection, 2 extra), Va (2 - 1 for collection, 1 extra) + 2 partial Bohrok and 1 partial Va

- Lehvak (4 - 1 for collection, 3 extra), Va (1 for collection) + 1 partial Bohrok, smatterings of extra Va (nothing very complete yet)

- Gahlok (5 - 1 for collection, 4 extra), Va (3 - 1 for collection, 2 extra) + 1 partial Bohrok

- Pahrak (4 - 1 for collection, 3 extra), Va (1 for collection) + 1 partial Bohrok and 1 partial Va

- Nuhvok (2 - 1 for collection, 1 extra), Va (1 for collection) + 3 partial Bohrok and 1 partial Va

They're in varying stages right now - most of my partials are missing shields, as it's hard to find stores that have that many Nuhvok and Kohrak shields. I suspect this may be due to their use in fan-combiners, but hard to say. That and I just ran out of my extra supply of eye pieces. Always sort of running out of something - 3L and 5L black axles come to mind. The reason so many Va are partial is because each use 2 of those black axle/pins that are like $3 each, so my supplies of them are critical at all times. Doesn't help that I'm coming off collecting those six Exo-Toa, each of which used 25 of those pins... needless to say, I did not Bricklink the Exo-Toa unless I had a partial that was mostly complete.

As for collection, I tend to keep a CIB copy of all my sets. This is the primary way I collect, I really didn't maintain too many extras before I started buying lots a few years back. You get a lot of useful and otherwise expensive parts for sure. My last lot had two McToran Macku, whose arms sell for like $10 each. Going to any canon Ga-Matoran I can make, then probably going into my bag of extra McToran parts for a Matoran Nui if I can ever get Onepu and Kongu feet for less than an arm and leg. 

Glad to help 🙂

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

• 2 weeks later...