Maze of Shadows: Game vs Book?

LostHead

Hello all! I recently finished reading the book Maze of Shadows, from the Bionicle Adventures line. As I was reading it, I was surprised to find that I had played the video game adaptation before, for the GBA.

I’ve looked into it a bit, and from what I can tell, the game seems to expand upon the book’s story, adding in more enemies for the Toa to fight. My main question is, is there a major storyline difference between the two? Are there any plot beats that differ, or is it just standard stuff to pad out the video game?

• Upvote 1

So No Head?

bionicle.gif

Hi - sorry in advance that this is only peripherally relevant to your original question, since I haven't played the GBA adaptation. I do remember quite liking that book though. 

I'm assuming you've read Voyage of Fear, then? Because a year or so ago, I came across a video game adaptation of that book on this site, played it, and loved it. I remember it being kind of short (probably about the same play time as it would take the read the book itself? maybe a bit longer), but I really enjoyed it! It was fast-paced and followed the plot of the source material well, and did a good job (re-)creating the sense of urgency for the characters as I remember them fleeing through the tunnels in the original book. 

The good news is that here's a link to the game/topic, if you're interested. 

• Like 1

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

No problem! It isn't really relevant, but I am super excited to see that! That's really cool, I really enjoyed the Voyage of Fear novel. I'd be excited to try out the game!

Sadly, the dropbox link doesn't seem to be working. Probably expired. Do you know of another place?

So No Head?

bionicle.gif

Mm! I see.

My bad, I think I did link to an older topic, and here's a more recent post.

I also  think the creator, @Toatapio Nuva is still somewhat active on this site, and I remember him being very receptive and responsive when I belatedly DM'd him about the game back when I first played it. Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)

Oooh, I don't think I ever played that one, I couldn't figure out how to get it to run. Maybe I'll have to give it a try one of these days. 

I remember The Son of the Toa was a fun fangame back in the day - there are probably a bunch of other good ones in the archive as well - thanks!

• Like 1