Neon Genesis Evangelion

SolitaryHyena

...You know Anno was recently diagnosed with depression again. ...Gonna be a lot of HD Tang in FINAL...And I generally prefer the TV Series over Rebuild, and the Super Robot Wars games over the TV Series. I felt it clicked better, honestly. And SRW is freaking SRW, featuring things like stopping Asuka's gruesome demise with a BUREASTO FAIYAA from Mazinger/Mazinkaiser and the Sekiha Love-Love Tenkyoken.

Wow i really gotta watch TTGL, but after im done with this arc in the anime im watching. There seems to be lots of pretty messed up anime, i mean i looked up Elfen Lied, that seems to be pretty messed up so i gotta watch it soon. But anyways, I think the Rebuild series is my favorite Evangelion series so far, seems much more, umm less mind-eating, and well has a different twist on the story which i like where its going. Better animation buts thats cuz its more modern i guess.

It has better animation because there's actually a budget this time around.And screwed up anime? If you want something that makes Evangelion look like Care Bears, read the manga Bokurano. That series is infamous for making people genuinely depressed after reading it. It's that dark and hopeless.As for Rebuild being less mind screw-y... Yeeeeeeeeeeeah, Kaworu's nice little 'Ohai, I'm making so many meta-references, I may be the same one from SRW and/or the TV Series!' schtick is saying it's going to be just as bad, if not worse.

hElbrZ6.gif

2: Rebuild has a story that Is slightly different, but better (in most opinions)4: The biggest one, ANNO IS NOW COMPLETELY SANE. Because Anno's depression pulled the series downhill.

WHATthe series' story is what made is so great, how does Rebuild almost-completely throwing it out the window make it better?

Yeah. Creator, writer, and director. I believe he animated as well (before Gainax was started, he did animation on Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross and others), seeing as how low-budget EVA was.He's also known for trolling the fans, getting Evangelion (and Gurren Lagann supposedly) in SRW on his own, and probably being insane. Y'know the last few minutes of EoE? That wasn't scripted in the Japanese version. That was actually accomplished by Anno having Shinji's voice actress actually choke Asuka's.

hElbrZ6.gif

2: Rebuild has a story that Is slightly different, but better (in most opinions)4: The biggest one, ANNO IS NOW COMPLETELY SANE. Because Anno's depression pulled the series downhill.

WHATthe series' story is what made is so great, how does Rebuild almost-completely throwing it out the window make it better?
I smell original series purist.And Anno having depression? Oh god, please don't bring the Tang back.That reminds me, here, have some of this:tang.gif

I smell original series purist.
forgive me if I prefer the FAR SUPERIOR version

Y'know the last few minutes of EoE? That wasn't scripted in the Japanese version. That was actually accomplished by Anno having Shinji's voice actress actually choke Asuka's.

Oh my god this.... wow thats some pretty psycho stuff, but well at least no one died in real life...right?

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Sig_by_aose.jpg

"And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite."

Y'know the last few minutes of EoE? That wasn't scripted in the Japanese version. That was actually accomplished by Anno having Shinji's voice actress actually choke Asuka's.

Oh my god this.... wow thats some pretty psycho stuff, but well at least no one died in real life...right?
Nobody died. Though apparently the effect was so realistic Shinji's VA apologized profusely afterwards.

hElbrZ6.gif

EoE already has top notch animation. If they remake EoE, I'll be disappointed, they already got it right.Also, Rebuild, as a supplement to the tv series, is excellent. On its own, however, it's not great. Having people who have never seen the original series watch it is the worst. They're too busy asking questions to focus on the movie. There isn't enough explanation in the rebuild movies to make it worthwhile on its own.

I want you to hit me as hard as you can.

Something on your mind, Dear?

Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility!

Also, Rebuild, as a supplement to the tv series, is excellent. On its own, however, it's not great. Having people who have never seen the original series watch it is the worst. They're too busy asking questions to focus on the movie. There isn't enough explanation in the rebuild movies to make it worthwhile on its own.

Like there was exposition in the original? Everything I know about the backstory I got from the 'classified files' from that one PS2 game. Including the fact that S2 engines apparently run on Spiral Power.

Kool-Aid would be the only thing worse than Tang. I do hope we get something different (really, really awesome), not just EoE with top-notch animation...

Well, I suppose Gainax didn't get famous for doing what everyone expects. Edited by Cobui

fjRqLk4.jpg

Also, Rebuild, as a supplement to the tv series, is excellent. On its own, however, it's not great. Having people who have never seen the original series watch it is the worst. They're too busy asking questions to focus on the movie. There isn't enough explanation in the rebuild movies to make it worthwhile on its own.

Like there was exposition in the original? Everything I know about the backstory I got from the 'classified files' from that one PS2 game.

Kool-Aid would be the only thing worse than Tang. I do hope we get something different (really, really awesome), not just EoE with top-notch animation...

Well, I suppose Gainax didn't get famous for doing what everyone expects.
Well yes, yes there was. Tons of it. There were whole episodes of exposition. Maybe you should re watch the original series.

Hey, you created me. I didn't create some loser alter-ego to make myself feel better. Take some responsibility!

Like there was exposition in the original? Everything I know about the backstory I got from the 'classified files' from that one PS2 game.

Well, I suppose Gainax didn't get famous for doing what everyone expects.
Well yes, yes there was. Tons of it. There were whole episodes of exposition. Maybe you should re watch the original series.
I guess I was thinking about the more obscure stuff. And the sad part is that I actually haven't seen all of the original. I've been horribly, horribly deprived. Edited by Cobui

fjRqLk4.jpg

Rebuild falls into the same trap as many remakes and compilations do: there's too little explanation. It's by no means as bad as, say, RahXephon: Pluralitas Concentio (where it's full of contradictions with itself from poor mixing of original footage and the series, as well as having an overall rushed feel that makes it impossible to stand on it's own) but it's still not something for people who haven't seen the original series.And saying something like Rebuild is better then the original without having SEEN all of it is just silly.

hElbrZ6.gif

I got my girlfriend into Eva when I let her borrow the Rebuild movies, she had little trouble following and enjoying them, so they are able to stand on their own. She also only first saw the original last week, and liked Rebuild much better than NGE, mainly because of Mari and Unit-02's beast mode.Anyways, You Are (not) Alone does a really good job of making the first six episodes into a 100-minute movie, and that's only about 20 minutes less than the first six episodes. Only thing I really didn't like about the cuts was that they got rid of the scene with Kensuke and Shinji when Shinji ran away, but that's it.Also, the complete Rebuild will probably last 8 hours total, which is pretty much the running time of the original series.

The S² Engine Theory was advocated by Dr. Katsuragi. As the world is formed with spirals, the engine acquires energy from its shape, which is the same as DNA. From here, the S² Engine was being envisioned as an energy source that would attempt to procure helical energy — in other words, an inexhaustible supply.

Sounds pretty familiar, no?

fjRqLk4.jpg

She also only first saw the original last week, and liked Rebuild much better than NGE, mainly because of Mari and Unit-02's beast mode.

HaHA same here! Though the Original had lots more angel fights in it, like that shadow angel that sucked Eva 01 into the ground and at the end of the episode eva 01 when beserk and came out of it, spurting blood all over the city. That was like one cool fight they should've put in rebuild, but overall, Rebuild IS supposed to be a brand new Evangelion that's supposed to attract newcomers of evangelion into it, even if they didn't watch the original. At least from what i read on wiki. >.<

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Mari? Because I don't get it. So far, there's no reason for her to be in the series. She hasn't been explained, and she's not really that interesting. Why do people enjoy her?

The S² Engine Theory was advocated by Dr. Katsuragi. As the world is formed with spirals, the engine acquires energy from its shape, which is the same as DNA. From here, the S² Engine was being envisioned as an energy source that would attempt to procure helical energy — in other words, an inexhaustible supply.

Sounds pretty familiar, no?
... Katsuragi is obviously Kamina's ancestor!And IamJack, I think she's some sort of dig at Mary Sues or something.

The next movie will focus a lot more on new characters, so Mari will fit in much more there, she was pretty much in 2.22 to introduce her to the series, so you'll pretty much know she is right off in You Can (not) Redo. I did find it a bit odd that Mari was on the cover of 2.22, as she was only in it for about 10 minutes, she would probably be better on 3.33's cover.

Unfortunately, JA did not become as popular as those two. :P But it is the first Mecha to appear in the Shinji Ikari Raising Project manga, just 37 chapters in, the Eva units take another 2 volumes to show up. :PAlso, anyone else notice the end of EoE and the opening of You Are (not) Alone is the same, with the LCL beach?

didn't Anno attempt suicide before he started on Evangelion? I read it somewhere, like comments on other places lol. JA was that unstable robot that Shinji and Misato tried to stop cuz it wouldn't stop walking, and it just walked through buildings and stuff right?Edit: Aww man this topic is dead pretty much. >.< (3/12/12)

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Mari? Because I don't get it. So far, there's no reason for her to be in the series. She hasn't been explained, and she's not really that interesting. Why do people enjoy her?

Well, for me i saw this comment on a video, and it said something like: Mari has the same teenage angst and mental problems as a teen, but instead she used them to her advantage like when she used beast mode in 2.22. Thats one example i can remember of. Edited by Kv195

• 2 weeks later...

Just rewatched the final episode of NGE.I must have blocked out of my mind just how boring/awful it was, since I only remembered the alternate reality and the whole "Congratulations!" ending.Now I really, really want to see EoE, since I doubt I'll be bored out of my mind.Anyways, they just officially announced the Evangelion NERV smartphone, which will apparently be featured in You Can (not) Redo as a government-issued cellphone. Sounds kinda cool, although they'll most likely only be available in Japan.

Edited by Terminus

Anyways, they just officially announced the Evangelion NERV smartphone, which will apparently be featured in You Can (not) Redo as a government-issued cellphone. Sounds kinda cool, although they'll most likely only be available in Japan.

Do (not) Underestimate Importers and/or Evangelion Fans.They WILL find a way. EVA fans and Importers are crazy like that.

hElbrZ6.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Just rewatched the final episode of NGE.I must have blocked out of my mind just how boring/awful it was, since I only remembered the alternate reality and the whole "Congratulations!" ending.Now I really, really want to see EoE, since I doubt I'll be bored out of my mind.Anyways, they just officially announced the Evangelion NERV smartphone, which will apparently be featured in You Can (not) Redo as a government-issued cellphone. Sounds kinda cool, although they'll most likely only be available in Japan.

. So, did you watch EoE yet? Did the ending really screw with your mind a bit? Cuz it did to me. :/

• 2 weeks later...