Temporphilic's Art Topic

Haecceity

So I took a look at it. All of it. And your art left me with mixed feelings.(Warning, honest critique ahead; I hope I don't sound too harsh or anything. It's most certainly not my intention, and if I do, I'm really sorry!)First things first: the anthro sketches. Technically, they are all the same: a head in profile view, staring to the left-hand side. Yes, the shape of the head varies a bit, so does the size of the eye. But what I'm missing a bit when looking at it are some more distinctive features. And more important, the characters seen a bit flat. 2-dimensional.Maybe you could try out a different perspective next time, 3-quarter view or a full-front view. Or shading. Either would help.And then there's the fact that they are all (but the last one*) only busts. Head and shoulders. It's hard to tell about a character if you only see that little of them.Now, I do understand that they are entitled as 'sketches', and that those usually are not supposed to take much time or be very elaborate and detailed. I work with high amounts of abstraction when sketching, too. But varying the techniques used and things depicted not only makes things more interesting, it also helps you to evolve as an artist. If that's what you're going for.So there's that.And then, on the other hand, there are the things filed under "Other". I was surprised. Impressed. Amazed. Especially by those abstract black-and-white images. They have such a mysterious aura, and can't really be described as depicting 'something', but that's absolutely fine. Great even. They remind me of Rorschach-tests, to be honest. ^^And no matter how much I think about it, I can't figure out how you did them.That landscape thing is phenomenal, too...Overall, as said, I am left with mixed feelings. Confused, even, because there are two entirely different styles.(Could it be that quite some time passed between the individual images? Maybe?)_____________________*which I absolutely love, BTW.Edit: fixed a typo

Edited by Taka Nuvia

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Hey, thanks for the help! I agree with you, my sketches are a bit flat-it's an ingrained quirk. I've always despised shading(way too tedious...), so when I sketch, I prefer 2-D profiles. These help me set the mood for a character, and get a feel for what they're like(I've got a closet full of these quick drawings.) The black and white images are abstractions I created in my spare time by manipulating pictures I took and tracing and drawing on them in GIMP. I've been meaning to get back to that landscape sometime-I want to fix those clouds.These were all made around the same time-but my concentration and dedication to my artwork fluctuates rapidly.Thanks again for the criticism!

If you found this text, know that Kevin isn't real.

He's a fairy tale to scare children.

30491886943_59e45988bd.jpgKevin. Is. Not. Real.