Alternate Universe Poll: Toa Empire

Toa Empire  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

alternateuniverse.pngVote here for your favorite Alternate Universe story; entries have been randomized. Please MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL ENTRIES BEFORE VOTING.Voting begins now and will end on June 7th at 11:59 PM EST. Entries that do well will move on to the Alternate Universe Final Poll, which will be posted at the conclusion of the 12th round preliminary poll.
  • [*]Vakama’s Last Mistake “No, Vakama, don’t!” yelled Norik. And Vakama heeded the voice. “Why?” The spinner on his back cooled, suppressing his inner terror at the beast within. “That’s the same protodermis that you sealed the Makuta with. If you launch that, you’ll break that seal.” “Come on, Vakama.” “I won’t do this! I won’t doom my fellow Matoran to have to face him again!” Elemental spinners exploded forth from the other Toa, overloading the capacity of the stone, badly injuring Roodaka. The stone, still intact, was reduced to a smoking mass. Walking away from the injured Roodaka, the six Toa presented themselves in front of Keetongu, who returned them to their original forms. A minuscule portion of their energy sealed the Roodaka in a protodermis cage, giving her the same fate as her master. * * * “Please, Tahu. Listen to me. There is an island below – an island to which we must return.” Why did we leave there, anyway? “So now you tell me. Really Turaga, I don’t if I trust you anymore. You and your babblings about ‘Metru Nui’.” Vakama sighed. “Come with me, insolent Toa.” The six Turaga and six Toa showed up at the entrance of the tunnel. “Are you sure that this is the right one?” joked Onua. Whenua was sure he wasn’t the only one fighting a bitter taste in his mouth. If only we could give these beings something to fight, he mused. Then they wouldn’t be so annoying. * * * The six Toa Nuva arrived on Voya Nui. “Mighty quiet here” Lewa said. After a few miles of nothing but standard landscape, Tahu set fire to a nearby tree. Rain crashed down from the heavens, putting it out. “Tahu, knock it off! We are not destroyers!” “So what? This is just another dumb Turaga mission. Let’s see if we can find their pity prize before they get too agitated.” “Oh, right here” Pohatu guessed, sending a bunch of rocks cascading down to reveal a tunnel. “Easier than rolling off a Gukko bird.” Lewa commented. They charged down the tunnel, only to come face-to-face with a huge, winged titan. “Er, wrong way.” “Pohatu, can you blast us another route?” Pohatu tried his powers on the wall. No luck. “This is the right way. Obviously, this time it is a challenge” said Kopaka. He aimed an ice blast at the creature, trying to freeze it solid, but was merely met with a blast of shadow. “Er, let’s try that protocage power. That seemed to work for the Toa, back when, said Pohatu, dodging a shadow blast. Powers merged. Giant frozen. “Too easy” said Kopaka. * * * “All that talk of heroism, blah, blah, makes me sick.” hissed Tahu, holding up an Agori in disgust. “Knock it off.” “Mata Nui said-“ “I don’t care about Mata Nui. Something the Turaga made up to scare us at night.” A huge, giant colossus mandered into view, casually smashing the Toa of Fire to bits. * * * “Heremus, you should be proud of yourself. Your defense mechanism is eliminating the Toa threat.” “It’s best to be prepared for all contingencies.” Heremus smiled, going back to his creative musings. ------[*]The Cell The figure winked and vanished, leaving a rather disoriented Solek to take in his surroundings. At first glance he appeared to be in a stone cube- but after a few seconds a flash of yellow light appeared from one side, and he realized he was in a cell. “Are you sure you heard something?” A voice asked. “Positive.” A second being replied. “By Cell 4062-F.” Too confused at the moment to really be scared, Solek took a few wobbly steps over to the bars keeping him in the cell and grabbed on, pushing his mask against them in an attempt to see what was outside. “See? I told you!” The second voice said loudly. Solek flinched backward and raised one hand to shield his eyes as he found a torch suddenly swept across the bars, peeking out after a few seconds. “Why are you awake, up and about?!” Kopaka hissed at him. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Solek told him, confused. “Why am I here?” “Don’t you even dare try that nonsense!” Kopaka snarled. “You know why you’re in there!” “Where is here?” Solek asked. “Where is here?” Kopaka mimicked in a high pitched voice. “I swear Kopaka; I’m just a scared little Matoran! You have the wrong guy!” Solek shrank back towards the cell wall, flinching with each word Kopaka spoke. Why was the Toa speaking to him like this? Toa were supposed to be nice, not cruel. “Oh, are you scared, little Matoran?” Kopaka asked with mock sympathy, in the same high pitched voice. “Why don’t you run into Kopaka’s arms and everything will be all better! The Matoran stumbled on something on the floor and fell, landing on a pile of rusty chains- using the torch light, Solek could see what enough to mummify a Matoran appeared. A lump of fear formed within him for the first time, and he scrambled back into the corner of the cell, away from Kopaka and the chains. “What do we have here?” Solek quickly lowered his head, staring at the cell floor as he heard the first voice, scared of what he would find. What if it wasn’t just Kopaka? What if this entire place was crazy? “We have him, Chirox.” He heard Kopaka respond. Solek’s eyes darted up- no, Kopaka would never work with a Makuta.... “Free from his shackles, eh?” Chirox chuckled. “Perhaps his turn comes sooner than I believed.” “M-my t-turn for what?” Solek couldn’t resist asking, hating the tremor within his voice. “My little Matoran, you simply must not toy with me!” Chirox laughed again. “The vat, of course. Perhaps if you’re lucky, you’ll be the first to not suffer hours of agony before passing.” Solek jerked up, his mouth open to beg for mercy; before he realized that the cell was gone. “I-I don’t....” he trailed off, turning. The figure grinned at him, his smile eerie after what Solek had just witnessed. “Gotcha out just in time didn’t I?” the figure said. “Ain’t that just dandy? Almost missed ya, too- nearly got yourself boiled!” Solek shivered, glaring at the figure. “You said it would be better.” “I did say better!” the figure laughed, activating his Olmak once again. “Never said better for you, kid- it was better for me! Man, you shoulda seen the look on your face!” “What-” “Anywho, maybe you’ll like this place more. Have fun!” The figure winked at him again, and vanished. Solek closed his eyes tightly; afraid of what he might see. ------[*]Necessary A single Matoran walked in an alleyway in Ta-Metru, heading for his home. He preferred to take a more direct route, but he had to be wary of the Vahki. He had been travelling when he should have worked. He couldn’t help it. He was just a curious Matoran. His thoughts where interrupted as he entered a slightly wider, but deserted, street. In a flash of light, a ragged portal had appeared in space. Just as he registered it, it began to shrink. He couldn’t help it. He was just a curious Matoran. On the other side, he found he was in the exact same place. He looked down at himself. His armor was in place; everything was normal. Well. That was exciting. He continued on his way, thinking about what had just happened. He was so distracted he bumped right into a Vahki. The Nuurakh barely looked at him. He began to talk, making excuses as he went. The Vahki simply began to walk past. It didn’t look like it recognized him, or was aware he should be at work. That’s crazy. All these Vahki know to look out for me. Even so, the machine kept walking. Deciding this was just his lucky day, he just continued to walk. When he got to his location, he almost wished the Nuurakh had apprehended him. His home wasn’t there. The space it had occupied wasn’t empty, or deserted, it just didn’t exist. The dwellings that had been at its sides were there, but there wasn’t anything separating them anymore. He was bewildered. He began to have an idea of where he was. He had walked into an alternate universe. He looked all around him. Everything was fine. Everything was working. The only thing missing from this universe was him. The Nuurakh hadn’t recognized him because he didn’t exist. He hadn’t been reprimanded for ignoring his work, because in this world, he had never done that. Come to think of it, Ta-Metru might be more productive without me. Even his usual careless demeanor couldn’t dissipate the truth he had uncovered. He was not necessary. He could disappear from his world, and nothing bad would happen. He also realized that disappearing was exactly what he had done. He had no way of going back. It didn’t even make a difference, for as he had just learned, he did not matter. Ta-Metru would just go on existing. He refused to be thrown away so simply. He knew now that Ta-Metru didn’t need him, that what he did or didn’t do had no effect. But he could not give up. He would leave Metru Nui, go on to other lands where his presence may be more natural, and he would work his best to make a difference. He would become an asset. He would help this new world. ** From the records of the Chronicler of Mata Nui: We don’t know what to do anymore. The village is assaulted by Rahi almost daily. We have held out as long as possible, but we need help. The Turaga tell us that the stars talk of a distortion in our world. Someone is missing. We expected the arrival of the Toa years ago. The legendary Toa of Light was to come to us soon afterwards. None of them are here. The Turaga say that the Toa Stones, Mask of Light and other tools necessary are here, but nobody who has tried to retrieve them has succeeded. Now the stars talk of the Great Spirit’s demise. We are scared. We only wish we had what was necessary. -------[*]For Lack of a Chisel For lack of a chisel... "Take this Copper Mask of Victory," Turaga Onewa said, "crafted in the shape of my own. It is the greatest honor Po-Koro can give. May it bring you good fortune in your travels." Takua accepted it with pleasure. Takua was lost... Takua frantically dug through his bag, searching for something, anything, that could save him. The insectoid things were coming closer... The flute? The heatstone? One by one, every item he owned was discarded, while the strange creatures grew nearer, and nearer... He held the Copper Komau in his hand for a moment, gazing at it. Then he flung it away. Mask of Victory, indeed...he thought, leaning despairingly against the pedestal. Absolutely useless. His mind traveled back longingly to the gnomon he had once carried. Something pointy might have fitted into that space in the pedestal... Then the swarm was upon him, and he knew no more. For lack of Takua... The Great Kolhii Tournament began, with Hewkii and Hafu representing Po-Koro, Hahli and Maku from Ga-Koro, and Matoro and Kopeke from Ko-Koro - the three best teams on Mata Nui. In the stands Jaller watched glumly, a spectator. Yet again, he wished Takua had lived. Maybe if he had been Jaller's teammate... And then the Shadow fell across the Stadium... the island was lost... Pohatu was surrounded. He didn't think he would make it this time. He had been on the move, running, fighting, since the night of the Tournament. The night the Rahkshi came. There had seemed to be hundreds of them as they swept down over the field, blotting out the stars. Kraata, jumping on masks and bodies. Corrupting, enslaving... One by one, they had all fallen, until Pohatu alone fought the darkness But how, he thought, could one fight darkness without light? Now, even as he fought, a kraata leapt upon him. for lack of the island... Makuta surveyed his realm, and was well pleased. He called the Toa Nuva to him, and they came. He smiled upon them "Go, my heroes," he commanded them. "It is time to fulfill your destiny." Mata Nui was lost... Mindlessly, the Toa Nuva fed their energies into the lightstones of the Codrex. They did not know of the Av-Matoran outside their enclosure. Nor did they know that they were bringing into being massive energy storms, which would be the destruction of those Matoran - and of them. But if they had known, they would not have cared. The great robot rose from the depths of the endless ocean. And its eyes were red. for lack of Mata Nui... Makuta laughed as he felt his power. This was even greater than he had dreamed. Within his body and without, his power was limitless. He looked at the stars, with the eye of a conquerer. Spherus Magna was lost... Raanu groaned to himself. Only a week ago, the Skrall had conquered Vulcanus. Now its former leader was rebuilding their defenses, for the benefit of their conquerers. I would welcome an invasion, he thought bitterly, if anyone could conquer the Skrall. Our lot can hardly get worse. But it could, as he was shortly to discover. The rule of the Great Makuta, when he found his way to Bara Magna, would be worse than even the Skrall could imagine. And all for lack of a Po-Koro chisel. -------[*]The Toa and His Reflection The glimmering silver pool sat central in the ancient chamber. Only one even knew of its existence on the small island. He was a Toa, the conqueror of his world, a ruler with an army so strong that none would ever think to stand against him. This world was his... but he wanted more, much more. There was nothing left to conquer in his land. But through the silver pool, he could see something different. It was a world like his, only there was peace, no one ruled over them, there was a void that could be filled. He wanted to reach through, into this other world, and seize it in his grasp, rule it as his own. They wouldn't be expecting it, never know what they were dealing with when he entered into their peace and shattered it under his heel. But always when he looked into the pool, he would see another being staring back. It was himself, but different. He looked less menacing, less terrifying. He looked weak. He tried touching the pool, seeing that the other did the same. Then a thought crossed his mind. Perhaps it crossed the mind of the other him at the same time, he expected that it did. He would plunge into the pool, coming out on the other side, where he would conquer their world for his own. He would become the king of a second universe. They would learn to fear the name of Shoxip as their word crumbled around them. He closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath, and saw as the other him did the same. They were going to swap worlds with each other it seemed. But he wasn't thinking of that, he was only thinking of the power he would gain within his new kingdom. Maybe another Nui-Stone? He would enjoy having a second, it would make him far more powerful than he could even imagine. The thought made him smile inwardly. He would be beyond comprehension in his strength, and then perhaps find another world, where he would find more. With a grin, the Toa with dreams of power beyond even the Great Spirit's jumped into the silvery pool, quickly sinking to the bottom. But there was nothing there, nothing but disorienting silver liquid. He couldn't find his way out. His power of flame did nothing at all the the dark clutches of the liquid, until his flaming spark of life finally faded away into the dark depths. The other Shoxip stood watching from his side of the pool. He had stopped himself moments before jumping in, when a thought crossed his mind. What if he was unable to fix the damage to that other world, what if all he was doing was letting a twisted version of himself into his world. Could he sentence his own world to ruin for merely the chance to save another? He found that he could not. With a sigh, he walked away from the pool. There was nothing he could do. The other him had leaped into the water, and not shown up in this world, or back in his own. Wherever the dark Shoxip was, Shoxip hoped that his dark counterpart would never again harm anyone again, as he had seen through his own silver pool many times before. The Emerald City of Gold --[/font][*]This was starting to get annoying. He was a Toa of Light, and he can’t even get to one location. Takanuva activated the Olmak and stepped through another dimensional rift.[/font] --[/font] He appeared in a large city. But it couldn’t be just a city. It had to be the center of a kingdom. It had a giant pyramid, or rather, a ziggurat, in what he assumed was the center of the metropolis.[/font] The sight astounded him. He was standing on solid protogold. Slightly underneath, he saw what looked like tiny veins running through in intricate patterns. He bent down and scratched the area. Suddenly, a pool of green appeared, and he heard an eerie moan. He looked at the green. It was almost like a crystal, but it was liquid. [/font]Since when is a crystal a liquid,[/font] he asked himself.[/font] He decided to make his way to the back alleys, and from there, he crept towards the center of the city.[/font] The odd thing was, he couldn’t see any signs of inhabitants.[/font] --[/font] Little did he know that the inhabitants were in their houses. Some looking out of their windows, they were afraid of the intruder.[/font] And then they got the holo-message.[/font] --[/font] Almost to the ancient-looking step pyramid, Takanuva started to grow weary. He felt like something was draining his energy. He almost thought that he wouldn’t be able to keep going. But he pushed on.[/font] He stopped to take a look at the ancient archetecture before him. He was now on one of the main streets, several bio wide. To his right were stone houses, in some of which he saw some movement of shadows. on his left were grass huts, also with movement in them. He looked behind him and noticed that the entire city looked like the sum of millenia of effort, and, what seemed to be the culmination of a very mathematial formula. The distance between the houses and huts, the slope of the road he was on, the angle of adjacent side roads, they all varied, like some sort of equation.[/font] He was almost to the pyramid. This, too, was very precise with its own measurements. As the day progressed, it seemed to an onlooker to follow the sun.[/font] Takanuva looked down and saw the emerald veins [/font]led[/font] to the step pyramid. He led his gaze to just the side of the ziggurat, expecting to see nothing out of place. He was surprised to see that the pyramid glowed with a green aura.[/font] He started up the golden staircase embedded into the side of the colossus, and stopped. Now it didn’t feel as if he was out of energy. In fact, he felt invigorated.[/font] --[/font] At the top of the pyramid, he looked down and saw all of the inhabitants at the bottom, amassed in a crowd, bowing down to him.[/font] “Why do you bow to me,” he asked. “Who do you think I am?”[/font] “My Lord,” said a being, most likely the elder of the village, “You are a light-bearer, and have made your way to the top of the Pyramid of Light.”[/font] The entire crowd gasped when he disappeared in a sudden flash of white.[/font] Takanuva was now in Karda Nui.[/font]

I went for my own, Necessary, but they were all good. I liked Vakama's Last Mistake's nonchalant tone. For Lack of A Chisel was pretty interesting, since it kind of hinged on the same thing as my own story, that Takua was pivotal to the proper fulfillment of the story. I guess great minds think alike?

Edited by Panty Anarchy

AXKP5KC.png

Numbers three and four were both very original, but the latter was just a little bit better in my opinion. The way someone familiar with the proverb can see the dominoes falling from the first line was very impressive, and rather chilling.~B~

I voted for 3. Yes, the other story where Takua went missing. :PI liked the idea of, but I'm afraid I didn't think it treated the various factors quite accurately. 2 and 6 I frankly found a little too...random. 5, actually, was one of my favorites, but I just felt 3 fit the theme better.4, of course was mine. I'm (very) happily surprised by its popularity. It's an idea I've had since the similarly themed S&T contest a long time ago, but which I never got around to using. Just as well - now I'm probably a much better writer, and I was able to incorporate Spherus Magna.@Nick Silverpen: Exactly. Such a small thing was so important to the storyline - and the funny thing is, a Copper Komau actually seems like a more logical mark of appreciation than a random tool. (My explanation - in canon, Vakama actually had a vision about the importance of giving a future wanderer a chisel, and told the other Turaga about it. Why not?)@Panty Anarchy: So it would seem. :P Funny that I ended up voting for yours.@Ballom: Thank you. I'm glad it was chilling - actually, I think this is the darkest thing I've ever written. Dark can be...fun. :evilgrin:@fishers64: Well, thanks! As I said, I liked the idea of yours. It was definitely in the "what if" spirit of Alternate Universes - that one small thing that could have been different. It was just - the Mata turned evil because they weren't challenged? I didn't really like that. (And yes, they were infected in mine. ^_^ What's your point?)I wanted to make the island was lost... part a lot longer, but...word restrictions. Sigh.Thanks again to everyone who liked my story!-Excelsior

bannerwithstrangedevicesmall.jpg

My writings:

The Toa Ekara - Visions A short story. Ga-Koro Mobs My entry for the LSO Comedies Contest. Team Extempore's entry for the LSO Epics Contest

It was between 3 and 5, but in the end I decided to go with 5. And polling period over; poll closed.newso1.png

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender