Super Monday Night Combat

ShenanAgain

"Taxes, am I right?"

SuperMNC_logo.png

Current Pro Rotation: Assault, Combat Girl, Cheston, Karl(?), Veteran, Wascot

uber_smnc_pax05-4e565dd-intro.jpg

Have any of you heard of this awesome game? I feel it needs more love than it’s getting.For those that don’t know what Super Monday Night Combat is (which I’m assuming is most of you), let me try my best to fill you in.Imagine a world where two teams of hardened combatants fight to the death for people’s amusement. These gladiatorial fights are a spectacle for all to see and always result in a vicious bloodbath. Even the fear of death doesn’t deter these poor souls placed into the arena; cloning technology permits these fights to last for as long as desired. Bitter hatred for the other team fuels these warriors’ very existence.Now, throw out all the serious business and replace it with a gorilla toting a tommy-gun, Leonardo da Vinci’s apathetic clone, the Rocketeer wielding a Lightsaber, and copious amounts of bacon. This is Super Monday Night Combat.For those of you familiar with DOTA-type games (MOBA or whatever), fuse that gameplay with a third-person shooter. The point of the game is to lead your team’s bots to the enemy’s Moneyball. On your way to the Moneyball, you’ll encounter enemy bots, turrets, and other players. Bots are the only things that can take down the shields of Moneyballs and turrets, so be sure to help them along the way. Shooting enemy bots prevents them from advancing and thus protecting your base.You, the player, take the role of one of 16 different Pros (Champions, if you prefer). Each Pro has unique stats, skills, and weapons. All Pros come with three skills, two weapons, and a grapple or two. Pros will fall into one of five distinct categories:

• Strikers- The go-getters. They specialize in burst-damage and general usefulness.
  • Enforcers- High health and powerful weaponry; these Pros are more suited for frontline combat.
  • Defenders- The healers of the team. Defenders are more for holding ground than for pushing, not that you can’t kick some tail with one anyway.
  • Commandos- Sneaky, squishy Pros. Each is equipped with a powerful melee weapon and specializes in taking advantage of a Pro’s mistakes.
  • Sharpshooters- Snipers. Long-range harassment with deadly accurate weaponry.

Needless to say, you should use these Pros to kill bots. Upon killing bots, you’ll see them drop different items.

• The most common are Coins, with which you can purchase things around the map.
  • The second thing you’ll notice are little Juice Boxes which fill up your juice bar; upon getting a full juice bar, you can activate the juice for a temporary boost in damage and health regeneration.
  • Occasionally, bots will drop Armor which lets you take more damage.
  • More rarely, bots will drop Churros which restore health and skills.
  • Even more rarely are Sprintz, which look like Hermes lost his shoes; these give speed boosts.
  • Most rarely – as in, only a few bots drop it sometimes – you’ll come across the legendary BACON. Bacon gives the lucky Pro who eats it +1500 restored health, +750 armor, +25% Skill recovery, +50 speed, and +25% damage.

Maps will be divided into two bot lanes guarded by turrets. Above (or sometimes below) the bot lanes will be another floor called the Jungle. The Jungle is where the neutral bots spawn and attack any Pro that they come across. The Jungle is also where you’ll find the Mascots. Mascots are NPCs that give special bonuses when you engage them.

• Bullseye, the pudgy green mascot will drop money and juice boxes when you shoot him. Don’t worry about hurting him; he volunteered for this.
  • The Juice Bot will occasionally replace Bullseye. Juice Bot will drop lots of fruit upon being shot; these function the same as juice boxes.
  • Chickey Cantor will spawn now and then (complete with stellar theme music). Chickey Cantor is a giant robo-chicken that drops a golden egg when killed. This golden egg will grant your team a Bacon-like buff. The only problem is that Chickey has tons of health and won’t go down without a fight. Try to grapple Chickey when he stuns himself to deal massive damage.

Also in the Jungle is the lethal Annihilator. When activated, the Annihilator will obliterate the other team’s bots and severely damage their Pros. Its deadly nature requires it to only become available every five minutes and you can bet that it will be heavily contested by the opposing team. As you play, the announcers will try to bring the recharged Annihilator and Mascot spawns to your attention.Before a match, you can also customize the Pros you have with Endorsements and Products. Endorsements are little boosts to your Pros stats that have varying degrees of effectiveness; as you level up by playing, you’ll be able to equip more Endorsements. Products are bonus effects that activate upon certain triggers in the game, i.e., leveling up gives you more health, juicing makes you run faster, drop a bomb upon death, etc. . New players are provided with four Products to begin with.But what makes this game so special is the humor. Perhaps you've played Team Fortress 2 with its crazy cast of characters; Super Monday Night Combat is like that and more. Along with the gorilla and da Vinci, there's a masochistic fanboy, a French cannibal, an Italian who speaks in on sequiturs, and so on. Every Pro has a taunt to use to either make friends or enrage your enemies. Your Pro can disco, rock out to metal, not look at explosions, and much more. I've also mentioned in passing the announcers, their names being GG Stack and Chip Valvano. These two, along with the Pros themselves, will add enough amusing chatter that it's almost hard to get mad when things are going south. Turret going down? Chip will probably go off on a tangent about elephants. Pushing bots? GG will occasionally have an emotional breakdown about his love life. What happened to Bullseye? He's in Wascot's trunk.A couple of caveats, however:

• While there are training and practice modes, they’re rather lackluster and don’t tell new players all they should. I encourage you to use them to get a feel for certain Pros but the most learning you’ll get is by playing matches.
  • As stated before, this game is a MOBA fused with a third-person shooter. Expect to see the worst from both worlds.

Before I forget, allow me to mention that this game is FREE TO PLAY. That's right, you get to ride on a chicken with a suspiciously robot-looking human for FREE.And there you have it, combat fans! I hope to see you on the field of battle one day. Good luck, have fun, eat bacon!

Edited by ShenanAgain
There's nothing to fear
Your saviors are here
krogoth.jpg
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
Coming down
Coming down

• 2 weeks later...
why even talk about this its just some TF2 knockoffbtw TF2 IS FREE TO PLAY TOO
Quiet you. You know nothing about this game. The only thing similar to TF2 is how seriously it takes itself(not at all) and possibly the art style.Love this game, but it's super diffcult at first. Edited by DoctorCouch

why even talk about this its just some TF2 knockoffbtw TF2 IS FREE TO PLAY TOO
I am highly amused that the first post in this topic after ten days of waiting is just a hate comment. tounge2.gif I encourage you to try the game out or at least watch some gameplay before writing it off as a TF2 knockoff. I'm sure you will find that the two games aren't that similar at all. And, hey, if you play to level 20 you get hats for TF2 so there's that.It's worth noting, however, that your reaction towards the game sadly seems to be shared by many people. For this reason, I attempted to make this topic in one of the few communities I still lurk around to try and inform these people of what the game truly is. I sincerely hope you reconsider and give this game a chance.
Love this game, but it's super diffcult at first.
This is another thing that I'm afraid is turning people away. The game lacks a solid tutorial mode for new players to get acquainted with the game. Thus, they get dropped into a match with no clue how everything and get immensely frustrated when they get creamed by someone with a better grasp of the game than they. I was forunate enough to have some experience with MNC but I still had a bit of trouble getting used to things. While I'm not terribly good at the game myself, I promise things will get better if you hang in there.Now that I know this topic isn't entirely dead, I'm gonna update the first post a bit to be more attractive.
There's nothing to fear
Your saviors are here
krogoth.jpg
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
This ship is coming down
Coming down
Coming down