A Song Of Ice And Fire/game Of Thrones

Grey Snow

Anyone read the series, or been watching the show? I started the show, watching it online, and loved it instantly. After finishing the first season, I picked up the books (not the first one; the show handled it for me). I'm currently on A Feast For Crows (book 4), and loving this series.

audio_narration_project_banner_small.jpg

I'm going to be honest, Hodor annoys me. But that's just because I don't care for Bran's chapters, and of course, Hodor is in Bran's chapters for obvious reasons. Best chapters of the books are Dany (not going to try to spell out her whole name; Martin usually calls her Dany as well, so doesn't matter), Jon, and Tyrion chapters. Favorite characters on the show as well. Do you read the books, or have you just seen the show?

It's Daenerys. xP Seen the show, love it to death. Read the first book and am in the process of the second. It's so hard to get copies of the books in my library, though! The show really made people check them out like mad. My favourite characters have to be Petyr Baelish, Tyrion Lannister and Daenerys Targaryen, with a big kudos to Stannis Baratheon and Greatjon Umber.

Edited by EmperorWhenua

I recently finished A Storm of Swords. I haven't seen the show. I would say that Jon is my favourite character overall, although I also really like Daenerys, Samwell, Tyrion, Davos, and Bran. I rather liked Petyr Baelish for a time as well, but... He seems to have really grabbed the villain ball. Does anyone else find Melisandre just as creepy as Davos does?

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png

If you like this banner, please feel free to add it to your signature.

QUOTE(GregF @ Oct 13 2010, 03:21 AM)

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

Do you think you have what it take to climb... Up the Carrion Stair!

Credit to Toa Zehvor MT for the banner!

Petyr's entire charm is the fact that he not only has the villain ball but handles it so well. Virtually everything was started by Peytr's own devices and he is responsible, directly or not, for every major event in the wars on Westoros. And his charisma is also the stuff of legends.

Almost done with A Storm of Swords, just picked up A Feast for Crows tonight. I must say, after the last Catelyn/Arya chapter combo the book is taking a twist I didn't expect, not to mention the following Sansa/Tyrion chapters haha I actually started reading the series because of the LCG, which is absolutely phenomenal.

D V N O four capital letters printed in gold

Forgot about how awesome Petyr is, especially as of A Storm of Sword's ending. I also forgot my love of Davos. One of the best. I also like Sansa, for some reason. Too bad her chapters are few and far between. It's also too bad Robb's chapters are piggybacked onto Catelyn's, I like him. I must say, Storm really lives up to its name. I was not expecting so many characters to die.

Storm definitely had more than few surprises. For some odd reason, I neither hated Petyr nor saw him as a villain for what he did towards the end of A Game of Thrones, even though Eddard Stark was amongst my favourites, but after the ending of a Storm of Swords I was like "...My goodness, this guy is a total [Piraka]!" On the other hand, I was thoroughly impressed (with Martin) when I realized, towards the end of A Storm of Swords, the Westeros is effectively under the control of Petyr Baelish.

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

I found Tyrion to be a surprisingly sympathetic character, and his chapters were definitely amongst my favourites in A Clash of Kings. I felt his treatment of Jaime towards the end of A Storm of Swords to be extremely and quite unnecessarily jerkish, though. Martin seems to like to take characters with a horrible reputation and make them quite sympathetic. Sandor Clegane is probably the best example; but I think Oberyn Martell also counts. Jaime, too, but to a lesser extent, and mostly because he becomes a lot more decent through a Storm of Swords. On the other hand, Walder Frey came across initially as just a dirty old man but turned out to be surprisingly malicious. I totally called it with Roose Bolton, though.

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png

I loved Oberyn in Storm. He became one of my new favorites towards the end of the book, after seemingly being just a background character, more or less.

Robb's death was a real surprise to me. I had hoped he would end up surviving a bit longer, and get his own chapters. But when we got to Joffrey's wedding chapter, halfway through I knew something was going to happen. I figured he'd end up dead. Just not that way. Oberyn's fight with Clegane was amazing. I knew one would die, but had no idea who. I was hoping for Oberyn to win and live, because I loved the way he fought. His character was just really cool to me by the time he spoke with Tyrion about the upcoming duel.

I got through a chapter of Crows, then looked up the POV characters. Really? We have what, three returning characters as POV characters? The girls and Sam. Granted, we have Cersei (that's right, isn't it?) and Brienne as POV this time, and other characters we know to varying degrees as POV, but why? I get it; new plots to advance the overall plot, but dumping so many into one book like this? It should be gradual. And...titles instead of character names ("The Prophet" instead of the character, whose name I don't want to butcher? Really?). That's just strange at this point.

Dany is probably my most hated character.Really. I sorta liked Viserys. I have this tendency to like the really weak characters, so that's probably why-Dovydas

Was it because Dany has no more claim to the throne than Joffrey, Robb, etc, but she's acting all self-righteous over it? Calling Stark TRAITOR TRAITOR while plugging her ears when Barristan offers to tell her about Aerys? Her chapters are also kind of meh. I don't care about your crusade to fight slavery, Dany. Focus of the plot, Iron Throne. Not Meereen.

Dany is probably my most hated character.Really. I sorta liked Viserys. I have this tendency to like the really weak characters, so that's probably why-Dovydas

Was it because Dany has no more claim to the throne than Joffrey, Robb, etc, but she's acting all self-righteous over it? Calling Stark TRAITOR TRAITOR while plugging her ears when Barristan offers to tell her about Aerys? Her chapters are also kind of meh. I don't care about your crusade to fight slavery, Dany. Focus of the plot, Iron Throne. Not Meereen.
Yeah, that's more or less it.xD-Dovydas

Quite frankly I always liked the Daenerys chapters because they were a break from the civil war. Same with the Jon chapters. In A Game of Thrones I just generally felt really bad for Dany. She had a lot of "What the heck, hero?" moments in A Clash of Kings, but Drogon provided a sweet crowning moment of awesome which kinda redeemed that. I found her treatment of Mormont (NOT Stark) to be rather harse in comparison to Selmy as well, although I disagree about her crusade- after reading about the Unsullied, I just about wanted to burn Astapor to the ground myself. In a book filled with many horrific things (particularly the magic) the Unsullied were notably horrifying. I do hope Jorah stays in the story somewhere, though; I find him a fascinating character. Also, A Feast for Crows is exclusively about the civil war, not Dany's crusade or the war with the Others, so that's why there's so few old POV characters. ...Wait, Jaime doesn't have a POV chapter?!?

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png

Jaime has POV chapters in the latter three books. Dany may not have any more claim to the throne than the rest of the lot, but all things considered, she's be a great monarch. She's not like the pompous and pampered Lannisters and actually has to fight to get the throne, which only serves to harden her resolve, skills and allies. In the end, assuming she does get the throne, it'd be great seeing someone who actually was in control and served the kind of justice that was difficult to find in the Baratheon-Lannister dynasty. Stannis Baratheon, however, is simply awesome. If there was one other person other than Daenerys who I want to see claim the throne, it's him. Calculating, cunning and just, he also has the largest claim of them all as Eddard Stark concluded. Like Dany, he's got to fight for it, and his fighting is by and large one of the most exciting parts of the series.

I miss Dany's chapters. They're always refreshing breaks, and I hate that Crows doesn't have any of hers. I will agree, either Dany or Stannis are the only ones who are worthy of the throne. Stannis, after the events of A Storm of Swords, and Dany from that book as well, both show why they deserve it. Dany's crusade got annoying after a while, but she has what she needs to be a good monarch, better than the others. Meanwhile, Stannis, because of Davos, knows what he needs to do now. I felt so happy at the end of the book when he and his forces arrived to take out the Wildlings. I had no idea what happened, but when it was shown to be him, after Davos's involvement as Hand, I felt at that point that he had a great shot at the throne. I mean, as of Crows, who's left? Tommen, Stannis, Dany, whoever takes over the Greyjoys (being dealt with in this book), and possibly the Dornish (again, looking like they could get involved as of the start of this book).

Personally, I think Davos would make the best king out of anyone in the story. Well, assuming he's not the man Melisandre burned, he'll make a great Hand, at any rate. At this point I'm really rooting for Dany, as I'm really creeped out by this whole Rh'llor thing. And maybe Dany will break Littlefinger's hold. Oh boy, THAT would be a fascinating scene.

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png