Hero Factory Polybag in the Wild

It took about a month, but the Hero Factory polybag we reported on in February has been found. Brickset once again has the news and has posted their thoughts on the set. If you're looking to pick this up, apparently you can get one for free when you spend over 15 GBP on Hero Factory sets at Toy Hub Direct. Hopefully it appears in other stores soon!

View the full article

I was pleasantly surprised to see the back covered somewhat competently. Kinda strange that the armor is orange, though; it matches the seat, but it also means the mech isn't Breez-colored at all.

I suppose the model could have used bright yellowish green for the seat and 3M shell, and maybe the fists but that's probably the most that it could include with the parts currently in production. The arms (4M beams) have not been in Bright Yellowish Green since Breakout, and I doubt they'd be put back into production in that color for a polybag set.

The only thing about the color scheme that I'm not sure I like are the silver fists. It's a nice neutral color, but they don't match any other pieces besides the swords. Titanium Metallic fists would be awesome, but those have never existed and almost certainly wouldn't be introduced for a set this small. Black fists, however, would be entirely feasible — they're used for Flyer Beast, meaning that they ARE stil in production this year. And that way the hands and feet would match. I guess the silver helps it loook more heroic, though.

I love the fact that this model is a fully articulated figure rather than just another accessory pack. It means that a person receiving this as their first LEGO Hero Factory set is much more likely to get a real sense of the Hero Factory play and building experience than they would from previous Hero Factory polybag sets. It also hearkens back to the BIONICLE polybag sets of yore. It boasts an impressive piece count (the same as the largest 2.0 and 3.0 heroes by piece count), and while that's obviously inflated by the tiny nine-piece mini-hero, subtracting those parts still leaves a generous total for a free gift-with-purchase model of this size.

It's amazing how many great innovations the change in scale this year has allowed. I have no pressing desire to get this particular set — I plan to get the Breez mini-hero from Breez Flea Machine and will probably get most of the other parts from other sets as well — but I love what it represents for the Hero Factory theme.