Star Wars and LEGO - Joined at the Hip

ToyNews recently had the opportunity to talk to LEGO CEO Jorgen Von Knudstorp about the company's use of external intellectual properties. He feels that after over fifteen years, 'LEGO Star Wars' has essentially become its own brand, and they have no plans on getting rid of it. He also talked about their reasoning behind picking certain IPs and not others, and acknowledges that not all of them have done well. It's an interesting read, and it's good to see that LEGO doesn't want to over-do it with licenses either and doesn't want them to define their business.

View the full article

• Upvote 2

I wasn't aware that Lego Star Wars started up in 1999. I thought it started in the early 2000's....

Regardless, its good to hear that they aren't getting rid of the theme. Though this probably means we can expect another Lego Star Wars game when the new movies are released. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

These are some good insights into the theme. I've always felt that the better Lego licenses are ones that A) have had time to establish themselves in the public consciousness and B) have the promise of longevity going forward. Star Wars and Super Heroes are great examples of those kinds of licenses. Prince of Persia and Speed Racer... not so much.

I wasn't aware that Lego Star Wars started up in 1999. I thought it started in the early 2000's....

Regardless, its good to hear that they aren't getting rid of the theme. Though this probably means we can expect another Lego Star Wars game when the new movies are released. :P

Part of me at least hopes that they wait until a few movies in before they make games based on the new movies. I felt that the three-episode structure of the first two Lego Star Wars games worked fairly well. I'm sure in the meantime they can keep themselves busy with, say, a Star Wars: Rebels game or something along those lines.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother