Do you think Greg will finish G1?

Will Greg finish G1's story?   

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do think that there is a small change that one day, faaaar into the future, that he finally gives us a bullet pointed list of the final arc, answering bits and pieces like: what happens to the GBs, Takanuva's destiny, which of the Toa Mata die (possible), What is the GSB? etc...

That can be done.

You just have to comb through his answers on the LMB and make the list yourself. He's given answers that reveal a good chunk of his plans for the future of the characters.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 1

Will he? No. Do we all want him to? Yes.

I do think that there is a small change that one day, faaaar into the future, that he finally gives us a bullet pointed list of the final arc, answering bits and pieces like: what happens to the GBs, Takanuva's destiny, which of the Toa Mata die (possible), What is the GSB? etc...

Greg actually has revealed Takanuva's destiny: he was going to play a major role in a "civil war" between the Great Beings. (source)

My plan was to have him play a major role in a Great Beings' civil war, between Velika and like-minded followers who felt the GBs should dominate Spherus Magna directly, and other GBs that wanted no interference with the society at all. That assumed that the story team did not have other plans for the character, but if they did not, that was my intention for him.
  • Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

We seem to be stuck in the middle here. Greg's written and said enough to keep the Bionicle story active some way beyond the 2010 conclusion and keep at least some fans hungry for more, but at the same time it doesn't look like he will or can properly continue doing that far enough to satisfy those fans.

I hope he will one day bring a conclusion to G1, but I'm not going to hold my breath. With G2 on the shelves, there's no reason for Greg to conclude the original story, especially since many of the older fans have moved on. To be honest, I think it's going to be more like how the original Transformers cartoon ended: a cliffhanger with no satisfying resolution in sight, even after all these years. 

"Ten thousand futures have I looked at. A hundred thousand. And in only one does mankind finally unite, and flourish...and survive. Only one. Doomworld."

210pxthe_master_doctor_doom.jpg

I hope he will one day bring a conclusion to G1, but I'm not going to hold my breath. With G2 on the shelves, there's no reason for Greg to conclude the original story, especially since many of the older fans have moved on. To be honest, I think it's going to be more like how the original Transformers cartoon ended: a cliffhanger with no satisfying resolution in sight, even after all these years.

But... we got a satisfying resolution. Mata Nui won, Makuta lost, and all other conflicts are minute in comparison and irrelevant to the overall Bionicle story.

Look at it this way: the movie "All the President's Men" is a period drama depicting the Watergate scandal. We know that history didn't stop after Nixon's presidency, but that doesn't mean the movie needs to last forever or have endless sequels, because it revolves around a singular event and the stories of people unrelated to those events, or the further lives of the people involved in those events, are irrelevant to the story being told. You can substitute any nonfiction period piece of your liking; the metaphor works either way.

My point is this: Bionicle was the story of the forces of good struggling against Makuta. That was the common plot thread throughout the whole series. It doesn't particularly matter what happens after Makuta dies and Spherus Magna has reformed, because there's no better place to end the story than that. Everyone loves a happy ending, and I for one am satisfied with the one Bionicle got.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Honestly? I feel like Gen 1 did get an ending. The serials were really just Greg throwing fans a bone, and I'm not commenting one way or another on their quality, it's just

More or less all that needed explaining up until Mata Nui defeated Makuta was pretty much explained. All the new mysteries and adventures were a continuation of the main story. I guess some stuff like info on the Red Star was left kind of vague but that's really just extra exposition anyway.

Maybe I'd like to see some new adventures with old and new characters in some sort of Bionicle sequel, maybe not, but either way G2 is where all Lego's effort belongs.

(Besides, Bionicle's always had tons and tons of fanfiction, far more stuff than Greg could singlehandedly write between a busy schedule)

• Upvote 3

I doubt people will stop asking for more of Bionicle G1 until all the original writers have died, & even then I've seen people hope that Christopher Tolkien will write a book (*cough* The New Shadow *cough*) around a Morgothian Cult...

I kinda want to revisit the Confederation Universe, but the Night's Dawn Trilogy is done, to see anything set after it would be... it'd be a different story, & why not create a new unrelated series? Keeping it in the same narrative-verse doesn't really serve much of a purpose; an epic back-story, but any attempt to use characters from the last story will probably seem contrived or damaging to them as an interesting character.

As Lyichir said, you can see this in almost any work of fiction. Bionicle G1 probably just has (proportionally) a lot more loose ends than other fiction...

Trying to find a more satisfying conclusion (without decanonising a lot) would probably just feel stretched (or more-so), disconnected, or tagged on - even if such a hypothetical story came out not-a-month after G1 ended!

The main points were dealt with, hoping that a fulfilling story will come out & tie u some loose ends ...well I'll be surprised if I see any fanfiction that tries to do such a thing well-received... [& fanfiction is the only thing your going to get]

Honestly? I feel like Gen 1 did get an ending. The serials were really just Greg throwing fans a bone, and I'm not commenting one way or another on their quality, 

& that's a smart move because commenting your opinions is liable to have a few hundred word lecture on why your not allowed your opinion...

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

But... we got a satisfying resolution. Mata Nui won, Makuta lost, and all other conflicts are minute in comparison and irrelevant to the overall Bionicle story.

I meant that he won't resolve the plots introduced in the story serials. The main story ending was awesome, I loved it, (even if I didn't like the sets themselves). I probably wouldn't even consider the serials canon if it wasn't for the story writer in me (I can't ignore them, gosh darn it).

"Ten thousand futures have I looked at. A hundred thousand. And in only one does mankind finally unite, and flourish...and survive. Only one. Doomworld."

210pxthe_master_doctor_doom.jpg