The difference between OLD and NEW Bionicle

Gipsy Danger

Well I didn't like whole Gen 1 vs first half of Gen 2, but anyway in Gen 1 year 1 we had

* mata nui wildlife like nui-rama, etc vs Okoto wildlife which the skull spider I believe

* 01 got to hunt 36 mask vs 15' 6 mask

* 01' 9 combination vs 15' 2 combined

* 01' the Toa finally realized they have work together to finish they quest after getting beat up a few times

15' Toa got beat up once and they team up to bring down the spider.

01' might have some up bit it also have some down, iam going to wait for the skulls and hopefully bring so life into 15' story. Anyway iam going to buy all the years of the reboot and then judge the storytelling.

• Upvote 2

Well I didn't like whole Gen 1 vs first half of Gen 2, but anyway in Gen 1 year 1 we had

* mata nui wildlife like nui-rama, etc vs Okoto wildlife which the skull spider I believe

* 01 got to hunt 36 mask vs 15' 6 mask

* 01' 9 combination vs 15' 2 combined

* 01' the Toa finally realized they have work together to finish they quest after getting beat up a few times

15' Toa got beat up once and they team up to bring down the spider.

01' might have some up bit it also have some down, iam going to wait for the skulls and hopefully bring so life into 15' story. Anyway iam going to buy all the years of the reboot and then judge the storytelling.

What I really want to see is Okoto wildlife because what does CCBS stand for? Character CREATURE Building System. I want to see them make CREATURES with this system.

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

What I really want to see is Okoto wildlife because what does CCBS stand for? Character CREATURE Building System. I want to see them make CREATURES with this system.

Well, Lord of Skull Spiders and Skull Scorpio certainly qualify as creatures. With that said, I agree wholeheartedly that seeing more of the wildlife of Okoto would be quite nice. In general I'd be down for more Okoto world-building, provided it doesn't leave new fans feeling lost, confused, or overwhelmed.

We've seen some beautiful scenery in the animations so far, which is a good start. I can't say enough how big a difference the scenery played in making G1 locations and media memorable — part of the reason why Voya Nui felt so forgettable to me in spite of its remote island flavor was that there weren't a lot of really picturesque moments in the comics and animations. Contrast the Mata Nui Online Game, which was packed with memorable settings, from the lily pond beneath Le-Koro to the Path of Prophecies outside Po-Koro to the Great Mine of Onu-Koro. And the 2015 animations are off to a great start in this regard even with as few as we've gotten.

But I'd also love to see more of the villagers' way of life and how they relate to their environments. Obviously, this is hard to fit seamlessly into such an action-packed story — Mata Nui Online Game and Mata Nui Online Game II were only really able to do this by stepping away from the main action of the story outside of minigames and cutscenes, and other G1 media rarely gave us more than brief snippets of Matoran culture. A theme like LEGO Elves that is more about adventure than action can engage in this type of world-building much more effectively. But BIONICLE has always been geared (no pun intended) towards action play, and it is only right that the story should reflect that. So while I hold out hope for this type of world-building, I understand that there are only so many places where it can be worked in without interrupting the flow of the story.

• Upvote 3

Just FTR, I had no idea MNOG was the story (I thought it was just a fun game) until I joined BZPower. I thought C.A. Hapka's books was the 2001 canon story. Guess who got corrected.

Back then, there really was no "canon story"—it wasn't really until Greg stepped in and started wrangling all the various media into a unified canon that questions of canon even really mattered.

But of course, Hapka's books only came about in 2003, as a way to try and condense the previous years' story into a format that fans could easily catch up with. Back in 2001, MNOLG really WAS the primary story medium for all intents and purposes, being the only medium that followed the story from the Toa's arrival all the way to Makuta's first defeat.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

re:wildlife: I think it's important to keep in mind that the only reason G1 had so many Rahi in 2001 was they made up the main antagonistic force. (That, and the focus on combo models that has since been diminished.) Since G2 didn't want to retread that exact story, and since they don't really release a lot of extraneous sets in story-driven themes, we didn't get wildlife this time around.

(I'd love to get some, though. It seems odd to see Lewa gliding through a jungle where not a single creature is stirring.)

• Upvote 5

re:wildlife: I think it's important to keep in mind that the only reason G1 had so many Rahi in 2001 was they made up the main antagonistic force. (That, and the focus on combo models that has since been diminished.) Since G2 didn't want to retread that exact story, and since they don't really release a lot of extraneous sets in story-driven themes, we didn't get wildlife this time around.

(I'd love to get some, though. It seems odd to see Lewa gliding through a jungle where not a single creature is stirring.)

Well, let's be fair. Any animals have either gone into hiding from/been chased off by the skull spiders, and Lewa isn't exactly subtle himself, so I can imagine the animals hiding from him as well. How many forest animals does the average human see when walking though the forest?

• Upvote 3

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

But those are valid points. Any wildlife we would see is either actively aggressive/territorial [relevant to old and new Bionicle] or is not a threat/not threatened by Skull Spiders or WHATEVER Lewa is even doing in the trees.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 2

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Just FTR, I had no idea MNOG was the story (I thought it was just a fun game) until I joined BZPower. I thought C.A. Hapka's books was the 2001 canon story. Guess who got corrected.

Back then, there really was no "canon story"—it wasn't really until Greg stepped in and started wrangling all the various media into a unified canon that questions of canon even really mattered.

But of course, Hapka's books only came about in 2003, as a way to try and condense the previous years' story into a format that fans could easily catch up with. Back in 2001, MNOLG really WAS the primary story medium for all intents and purposes, being the only medium that followed the story from the Toa's arrival all the way to Makuta's first defeat.

I know that now. :P I thought Makuta wasn't defeated until 2003.

I got into Bionicle story in 2005, when the books were the primary storytelling medium, thus I assumed it was true for all years. But that's my old world where books and movies were how you tell a story. These days, there are so many other story mediums that it pays not to to automatically discount one because you don't know about it or don't like it, because chances are someone else does.

Anyway, animation released online is a valid storytelling medium as any, especially for Bionicle. It's hard to tell because of the fact that the first animations were done in Flash, but Legomation's video of the first three years' animations came out to about 50 minutes long.

That would be 17 minutes a year (now we're down to 12) except MNOG had more animation time than 2002-03. Probably about 20 minutes for MNOG, 20 for 2002, and 10 for 2003.

I think that the end of '01 was more a retreat on Teri's part than a defeat. I mean, he'd have to rethink his plans for the island now that there are Toa on it. Rather than wearing down helpless matoran, he had actual opposition now.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I thought Makuta wasn't defeated until 2003.

Makuta's first story defeat came in 2004 at the hands of the Toa Metru, followed by 2001, when he was defeated by the Toa Mata, 2003, when he was defeated by Takanuva, and then 2010, when Mata Nui finally killed him.
I always read that final cut scene of the MNOLG as "that stung! Let's back off, for now" rather than "curse you, Toa of Platypus!" Edited by Regitnui
  • Upvote 3

I thought Makuta wasn't defeated until 2003.

Makuta's first story defeat came in 2004 at the hands of the Toa Metru, followed by 2001, when he was defeated by the Toa Mata, 2003, when he was defeated by Takanuva, and then 2010, when Mata Nui finally killed him.
I always read that final cut scene of the MNOLG as "that stung! Let's back off, for now" rather than "curse you, Toa of Platypus!"

I get the joke... and I'm oh so glad I do... +1 good sir.

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat