The LEGO Group Adjusts Bulk Order Policy

Last year, the LEGO Group faced controversy when artist and activist Ai Weiwei was refused a bulk order of bricks for a mosaic depicting political dissidents throughout history, based on a policy LEGO had in place against supplying bricks for political statements. Perhaps to avert future controversies, the LEGO Group has now adjusted their bulk sales policy. Under the new policy, LEGO will no longer inquire about what thematic purpose bulk parts orders will be used for, but brick artists who intend to display their work publicly will be reminded to make it clear that their project is neither endorsed nor supported by the LEGO Group. Follow the link above to read the LEGO Group's full press release.

View the full article

I am suddenly quite curious about these 'bulk' orders... :P

Isn't that LUGBULK?

No. LUGBULK allows RLUGs (Recognized Lego User Groups) to buy bulk bricks at a discounted rate. This program does not offer any discounts by comparison—it just allows artists to order bulk brick direct from Lego for displays.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I am suddenly quite curious about these 'bulk' orders... :P

Isn't that LUGBULK?

No. LUGBULK allows RLUGs (Recognized Lego User Groups) to buy bulk bricks at a discounted rate. This program does not offer any discounts by comparison—it just allows artists to order bulk brick direct from Lego for displays.

Is there some sort of registration process and proof, or could I just declare myself an artist and order a bunch of bricks?

That policy just makes sense. While I understand LEGO's intent to distance itself from certain messages, I don't think for anything else used in art, the seller asks what the buyer is.

"This copy of Photoshop you're buying. Are you planning to modify copyrighted work for humorous effect, and you expect me to sell it to you? I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."

©1984-2016 Toaraga EAM

• Upvote 1

COT Official Topics | Trade References | COT RPG Guidelines | Truth | A Naming Day Carol | Stars Review The trouble with the status quo is that it keeps changing."College dropout, Shego: they let me in; I let myself out." -Dr. Drakken No great feat was ever accomplished by those who gave into fear or caved under pressure. Earthquakes in many places.|| Busy with life

That policy just makes sense. While I understand LEGO's intent to distance itself from certain messages, I don't think for anything else used in art, the seller asks what the buyer is.

"This copy of Photoshop you're buying. Are you planning to modify copyrighted work for humorous effect, and you expect me to sell it to you? I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."

©1984-2016 Toaraga EAM

Let's be fair, though — other things used in art aren't often as instantly recognizable as LEGO. You create something in Photoshop and people usually aren't going to be able to just look at it and tell what you used to make it. So it's not as likely that it'll come back to bite Adobe if the things you use Photoshop to create are controversial.

• Upvote 2