Good Music Software?

Obsessionist

I'm no musician, but I'm looking to mess around a Pogo-style mix of non-music sounds.  The internet has offered up a couple of cool free audio workstations, but neither of the ones I've tried (Audacity and LMMS) let me chop up samples and arrange them to a beat; at least as far as I can tell.  Audacity will let me alter music files, but has no beat-based snap-to function; LMMS will let samples be used as notes but not arranged as-is.

Obviously, I lack the musical vocabulary to really describe what I'm looking for.

TL;DR, anyone know fun free (or cheap) music creation software for a non-musician to mess with?

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

The usual go-to answer for this question is Fruity Loops:

http://www.image-line.com/downloads/flstudiodownload.html

I've never used it myself, but it includes a free trial, and is supposed to be a very accessible DAW for beginners. And some of my favorite music producers use it, so it's not like it's a nooby tutorial program.  ;)

Just download the trial and look up some tutorials, I'm sure there are hundreds out there. With FL Studio you can arrange samples musically, slice them up, edit them all individually, synthesize and write music, and condense it all into a finished track.

IetTsFQ.png