What I think would've saved Bionicle (and what still could)

OtakuWamaSama

We've been building the Toa, villains, and Rahi of the Biologic Chronicle for years. But now we've lost it all again.

After an unfortunate end of the journey in 2010, a reboot last year, and it's end again this year, we've come a long way. Some may say there's no reason at all for the Bionicle line to not be selling to children in this day and age, but I disagree. 

I believe there's a very clear answer that would be easy for LEGO to whip up and make Bionicle a top dog in their repertoire! We've read and seen it countless times with movies/shows/books, and that's the world of Bionicle. What's truly special about Bionicle is mostly what's not built or in a set. I cannot fathom why this rich resource hasn't been tapped into for a LEGO building set.

What I'm talking about, is that LEGO can release building sets for Matoran villages and ancient Matoran cities that have been corrupted by Makuta. (Not to mention the people that live there.) 

Imagine a child that's new to the Bionicle world, in a LEGO aisle, and knows nothing about the story behind it. You can say that all they have to do is read a book or watch one of the shows, but this is a child holding the hand of their parent/guardian walking down an aisle way that has no idea what a Bionicle is yet. They'll look at a Bionicle and think that it's cool! But at the end of the day, it's an action figure. Yes, an action figure without a build-able world around it. That's immediately a turn off for a bunch of kids. Instead, they'll look at something they know and love already, like a LEGO Star Wars set, or a Batman set. These things are familiar, because they'll most likely know these worlds already. Another big one is a normal LEGO set for making a building with a lot of average people going about their daily business. 

My point is, is that for the Bionicle line to be saved, it's necessary for the world of Bionicle to be a build-able set released by LEGO. Sets that will entrance children on the aisle way with their imagination. Sets that are littered with the normal people that live there, such as the Matoran.

Some might make the argument that a building set wouldn't be Bionicle. You'd be partially right, as it's never been done for the line before, but here's a counter argument: Do you want Bionicle to survive?

Also, it'd be pretty neat to finally be able to build the world. (Don't lie to yourself, you know you'd love to.)

I'd love to submit this idea to LEGO Ideas, however, I'm not very good with LEGO building. It's required that you have a photograph of the set idea. If you're good at it, you like this idea, then please go for it. I'll be cheering for you. You may just save Bionicle.

TL;DR: Making Matoran village/ancient city sets could possibly up sales for Bionicle.

Tell me what you think in the comments below!

Edited by OtakuWamaSama
  • Upvote 2

Something like the build-able areas/machines LEGO did in the Hordika/Piraka/Mahri eras? I think that would be cool, yeah. They might sell well, too. (I'm not sure how well the other ones sold in comparison to the constraction figures, though.)

But I doubt it would've "saved" G2, and I'm certain it won't "save" it now. LEGO has officially said something, I highly doubt they'd change their minds after that. Announcing the end of a fairly major/famous line isn't something they would do lightly.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Something like the build-able areas/machines LEGO did in the Hordika/Piraka/Mahri eras? I think that would be cool, yeah. They might sell well, too. (I'm not sure how well the other ones sold in comparison to the constraction figures, though.)

But I doubt it would've "saved" G2, and I'm certain it won't "save" it now. LEGO has officially said something, I highly doubt they'd change their minds after that. Announcing the end of a fairly major/famous line isn't something they would do lightly.

You may be right, but you never know until you try!

The playsets from the '05-'07 era were discontinued due to poor sales, but that was mainly because of the line's association with constraction.  The constraction and system builders didn't have enough overlap to make it work, even though I always really liked them at the time.

I'm not sure it would necessarily save Bionicle, but it would be an interesting idea for G3 to make it System further down the line.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

The playsets from the '05-'07 era were discontinued due to poor sales, but that was mainly because of the line's association with constraction.  The constraction and system builders didn't have enough overlap to make it work, even though I always really liked them at the time.

I'm not sure it would necessarily save Bionicle, but it would be an interesting idea for G3 to make it System further down the line.

Yeah, I wish it could save Bionicle, but there's really no way of knowing it would. Would be fun to have though!

G2's downfall came from how it was sold. G1 was sold like it was some epic thing in its own right, regardless of being a merch-based franchise. The ads always left a sense of "what did I just watch?" which instilled in the viewer a curiosity about Bionicle and a desire to know more, which led to an interest in the line. G2 was just sold like it was another throwaway system theme, so kids didn't really care. On top of that, G1's story was a bit deeper from the start than G2. Not that G2 had no story, because it did; but it was generally weaker than G1's, so the thing kids were supposed to latch on to wasn't as strong.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

While I don't doubt a buildable version of a Bionicle village or some other landmark in the franchise would be awesome, unless the Toa and villains are Kaiju sized(which I don't get the impression they are), you'd run into problems of scale fairly quickly.

Play sets large enough to accommodate a community of mini-figs are already quite expansive and beyond what any middle-classed child could buy with pocket money. Building an ecosystem the Toa could really play in would fill a decently sized room and retail for thousands of dollars.

So, if Lego wanted to combine CCBS Constraction with buildable environments, their main options would be:

-A handful of buildable props(if my impression of the Mask Maker as a biomechanical blacksmith is remotely active, a Mask Maker's forge might be one such prop).

-A series of small play sets, each big enough for one or two CCBS figures that can be combined to make a truly expansive world model, but would be more expensive to buy a complete set of than the figures themselves.

-Traditional play sets sized for minifigs with a handful of CCBS figures that are Kaiju scale(this would be a great idea for a Transformers or Godzilla license).

Just so you know, I'm blinad

There's one thing that can not only save the franchise, but also make it as great as it was and even greater. I'm talking about us, the fans. We are the only ones who feel what BIONICLE should truly be. If we combine our efforts and let LEGO know that we can handle the franchise on our own, we can make BIONICLE great again.

30o1o1u8K260a3c7.jpg

There's one thing that can not only save the franchise, but also make it as great as it was and even greater. I'm talking about us, the fans. We are the only ones who feel what BIONICLE should truly be. If we combine our efforts and let LEGO know that we can handle the franchise on our own, we can make BIONICLE great again.

You're right, but do I detect a Trump joke in there? lmao

While I don't doubt a buildable version of a Bionicle village or some other landmark in the franchise would be awesome, unless the Toa and villains are Kaiju sized(which I don't get the impression they are), you'd run into problems of scale fairly quickly.

Play sets large enough to accommodate a community of mini-figs are already quite expansive and beyond what any middle-classed child could buy with pocket money. Building an ecosystem the Toa could really play in would fill a decently sized room and retail for thousands of dollars.

So, if Lego wanted to combine CCBS Constraction with buildable environments, their main options would be:

-A handful of buildable props(if my impression of the Mask Maker as a biomechanical blacksmith is remotely active, a Mask Maker's forge might be one such prop).

-A series of small play sets, each big enough for one or two CCBS figures that can be combined to make a truly expansive world model, but would be more expensive to buy a complete set of than the figures themselves.

-Traditional play sets sized for minifigs with a handful of CCBS figures that are Kaiju scale(this would be a great idea for a Transformers or Godzilla license).

Wow, I didn't take into account the size of the current figures. They would have to be massive, wouldn't they? 

Perhaps these sets could be larger props as you mentioned? That may be a great idea!

• Upvote 1

But at the end of the day, it's an action figure. Yes, an action figure without a build-able world around it. That's immediately a turn off for a bunch of kids.

If that set format doesn't work, how did old Bionicle do so well when that was the path taken from start to finish?

What I'm talking about, is that LEGO can release building sets for Matoran villages and ancient Matoran cities that have been corrupted by Makuta. (Not to mention the people that live there.) 

As Sumiki said, Lego tried to make Bionicle work as a System line with the playsets, but they didn't take off as most Bionicle fans didn't have that much interest in System.

Edited by Sir Kohran

So basically make normal Lego sets under the Bionicle name. Actually, that's not too bad of and idea. They could even name it Lego City: Bionicle and they might even be able to draw from the Lego City fanbase or introduce more kids to Bionicle as parents buy "Lego City" for their children. I mean if constraction is really the problem, then Lego can still capitalize on the Bionicle name and yet grow its fanbase and sales.

Edited by Azon
  • Upvote 1

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

We needed to explore these villagers more and I felt that them having all the same mask gave them no identity at all, and gave a hivemind vibe. While I understand it in the story they are just the villagers and the cells they could have played an even more prominent role, and mask packs definitely would have helped.

We needed to explore these villagers more and I felt that them having all the same mask gave them no identity at all, and gave a hivemind vibe. While I understand it in the story they are just the villagers and the cells they could have played an even more prominent role, and mask packs definitely would have helped.

Maybe for Bionicle's replacement we have robotic/tribal villiagers on adventures we can call it Matoran.

A Bionicle branch off line that is it's own thing but keeps G1 fans happy because well it's Matoran.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

Maybe for Bionicle's replacement we have robotic/tribal villiagers on adventures we can call it Matoran.

A Bionicle branch off line that is it's own thing but keeps G1 fans happy because well it's Matoran.

LMAO, that sounds like a Chinese knock-off toy!

• Upvote 1

Oh...

Never mind lets think up a new idea.

Hero Factory?

(and that there kids, is the inner workings of the LEGO design team.)

Oh...

Never mind lets think up a new idea.

Hero Factory?

(and that there kids, is the inner workings of the LEGO design team.)

That's actually very accurate.

Though I didn't plan on my idea becoming the punch line of a joke.

(I don't care about that. It turned pretty funny.)

I was serious about the idea.

At least the core part of it.

Bionicle's replacement is a branch off line. It's not exactly Bionicle but it's close enough to please fans.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Though I didn't plan on my idea becoming the punch line of a joke.

(I don't care about that. It turned pretty funny.)

I was serious about the idea.

At least the core part of it.

Bionicle's replacement is a branch off line. It's not exactly Bionicle but it's close enough to please fans.

I'll take all of the nods I can get from LEGO to Bionicle fans. I think it's a decent idea.

• Upvote 1

No no no I think just matoran would be a wonderful idea actually, giving them a fun adventure type story and the enemies would call back to the classic rahi in a big way, essentially big monster type animal characters for the Matoran to fight. That would be an amazing way to continue the stories of Okoto, preserving the lore of Bionicle that we have now and opening even more potential for the story. Though, I felt like that's what G2 was lacking in 2015.

No no no I think just matoran would be a wonderful idea actually, giving them a fun adventure type story and the enemies would call back to the classic rahi in a big way, essentially big monster type animal characters for the Matoran to fight. That would be an amazing way to continue the stories of Okoto, preserving the lore of Bionicle that we have now and opening even more potential for the story. Though, I felt like that's what G2 was lacking in 2015.

It did feel like the Matoran were just there for no reason in these new gens. They didn't feel like actual people imo either. The Matoran deserve their own story.

Edited by OtakuWamaSama

I'd love Lego building sets of Bionicle settings. They are it'd be very interesting to see

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

It did feel like the Matoran were just there for no reason in these new gens. They didn't feel like actual people imo either. The Matoran deserve their own story.
Agreed.

Next time I do a LEGO set survey I'll make sure to put under the

"What do you want to see" box.

That I would like a Matoran or Protector based line only about then and there adventures.

We can make a impact if more people ask similar things who's with me.

Edited by ToaTimeLord
  • Upvote 1

Agreed.

Next time I do a LEGO set survey I'll make sure to put under the

"What do you want to see" box.

That I would like a Matoran or Protector based line only about then and there adventures.

We can make a impact if more people ask similar things who's with me.

Don't worry m8, I'll be there.