• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Toy Fair 2017: ONCE Kids Eco Bricks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 16-July 01
  • 3,679 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 02 2017 - 10:53 AM

ONCE Kids Eco Bricks was one of a few toy lines at Toy Fair attempting to bill itself as an environmentally-friendly alternative to LEGO. We're apparently supposed to believe that wooden blocks are better because they can decompose and be easily painted/carved/otherwise modified, as compared to things that maintain their value and usefulness for generations and already have detailed features. We could cynically point out that we found an eco brick marked "made in China" after we heard their representatives talk about how these wooden bricks are made in the USA, but that doesn't matter. Setting aside things like nationalism, brand loyalty, and the need to take care of your toys, these bricks are a non-starter because they cost much more than LEGO and exhibit extreme variation in clutch power. These were still interesting to observe, and we appreciated the chance to get our hands on them to try them out - and yes, we've got a few pictures for you.

View the full article

#2 Offline evil_jaga_genius

evil_jaga_genius
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 17-January 15
  • 759 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 12:15 PM

I would be cynic too, but I have to imagine how these things smell.  Like, I can imagine opening a box of these and having that wonderful hardwood smell wafting out of the box.  That, and it'd be cool to replace all the elements that are supposed to be wood on a MOC with, you know, actual wood.  Like building a castle and having an actual wooden drawbridge and stuff.

The raving lunatic behind Adventure Posts and The Isle of Malkhar
Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

Skyrise profile: Dedris + the Chieftain

If I don't respond in the RPG, send me a PM about it and I'll try and get stuff worked out

Think a community RPG project sounds interesting?  Let me know here!

#3 Offline Rassilon (TTL)

Rassilon (TTL)
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Defeated

• 20-January 16
  • 3,381 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 03 2017 - 09:42 PM

If they made technic pieces say for a toa of nature it be a cool integration of materials.

Edited by Rassilon (TTL), Dec 03 2017 - 09:43 PM.

Y0BQvAz.jpg

Coming in 2018
banner by Voltex

#4 Offline danny316p

danny316p
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Cranky Old Curmudgeon

• 09-April 13
  • 286 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Dec 06 2017 - 09:06 PM

I would be cynic too, but I have to imagine how these things smell. Like, I can imagine opening a box of these and having that wonderful hardwood smell wafting out of the box. That, and it'd be cool to replace all the elements that are supposed to be wood on a MOC with, you know, actual wood. Like building a castle and having an actual wooden drawbridge and stuff.

I don't remember what these smelt like. We basically covered this brand because they happened to be at Toy Fair, but my understanding is that there are other brands that are made of specific woods. Those other brands tend to be geared towards adults, very expensive, and 2x4s only.

If they made technic pieces say for a toa of nature it be a cool integration of materials.

There is a parameterized CNC design for that...check out Bitbeam: https://bitbeam.org/

#5 Offline Rassilon (TTL)

Rassilon (TTL)
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Defeated

• 20-January 16
  • 3,381 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 07 2017 - 09:57 PM

Thanks Danny for the article.
That's was a interesting read.

Y0BQvAz.jpg

Coming in 2018