• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Orthographic and/or Realistic View in Ldd

Ldd View Orthographic Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Obsessionist

Obsessionist
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,276 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 20 2012 - 10:01 AM

I wanted a digital rendering of a Lego design to use as a header for a blog, so I tried using Ldd. My first problem is that I could not get it to display in Orthographic view, that is, things look the same size no matter how far away they are, and objects don't "curve". For example, if you have a long brick in Ldd and look at it from directly above, you will see the sides of the studs. I also need the rendering to be, if not realistic, then at least with clear lines instead of the cell-shaded look....I know nothing about the technical or graphic design lingo, so if you don't understand, I'm sorry. Any help with the problem described or the communication of said problem would be appreciated.I have also tried Ldraw, only to encounter similar problems. If you know how to make a good rendering with Ldraw/LView, that would be helpful as well. I don't care what program I use just so long as the final rendering is good.

1395440177m_SPLASH.jpg

#2 Online Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,061 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Aug 20 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'm not sure if LDraw has a setting for your needs or not, but it probably does.Besides that, the programs I know that could do this would require you to dimension the parts and sketch them in the program. If you're up to taht, and have money to buy the program, AutoCAD or Autodesk Inventor have worked for me when I needed similar things.
--
Meiko
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset (profile)
Administrator at Brickipedia (profile)
Former administrator at BIONICLEsector01 (profile)
MediaWiki developer (profile)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#3 Offline JrMasterModelBuilder

JrMasterModelBuilder
  • Outstanding BZPower Citizens
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 998 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Aug 20 2012 - 12:43 PM

I wanted a digital rendering of a Lego design to use as a header for a blog, so I tried using Ldd. My first problem is that I could not get it to display in Orthographic view, that is, things look the same size no matter how far away they are, and objects don't "curve". For example, if you have a long brick in Ldd and look at it from directly above, you will see the sides of the studs. I also need the rendering to be, if not realistic, then at least with clear lines instead of the cell-shaded look....I know nothing about the technical or graphic design lingo, so if you don't understand, I'm sorry. Any help with the problem described or the communication of said problem would be appreciated.I have also tried Ldraw, only to encounter similar problems. If you know how to make a good rendering with Ldraw/LView, that would be helpful as well. I don't care what program I use just so long as the final rendering is good.

LDD doesn't have an orthographic view, it only has perspective view. You'll need to use a proper rendering software to render your models.There a couple of tools to convert LDraw models into other formats like OBJ, but most of them are old/semi-broken/unfinished, but if you decide to go that rout, you could then open them in a 3D modeling program like Blender (free), Maya, 3DS Max, etc.I don't know if it has orthographic capabilities, but I have seen a number of LDD models rendered with LDD to POV-Ray and those results are very impressive.

banner.png
{ If you have BIONICLE: The Legend of Mata Nui, PM me . . . NOW! }
I'm well over the age of 13, so if you work for LEGO, you can talk to me. :)

#4 Offline Obsessionist

Obsessionist
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,276 posts
  •  

Posted Aug 20 2012 - 04:25 PM

I'm not sure if LDraw has a setting for your needs or not, but it probably does.Besides that, the programs I know that could do this would require you to dimension the parts and sketch them in the program. If you're up to taht, and have money to buy the program, AutoCAD or Autodesk Inventor have worked for me when I needed similar things.

Ldraw and its affiliated programs don't, but there is something called L3P that takes Ldraw files to POV-ray, which is supposed to do what I want. L3P won't download, though, and besides that I'd need some serious help to use POV-ray at all. I know nothing about code save for a little HTML.

LDD doesn't have an orthographic view, it only has perspective view. You'll need to use a proper rendering software to render your models.There a couple of tools to convert LDraw models into other formats like OBJ, but most of them are old/semi-broken/unfinished, but if you decide to go that rout, you could then open them in a 3D modeling program like Blender (free), Maya, 3DS Max, etc.I don't know if it has orthographic capabilities, but I have seen a number of LDD models rendered with LDD to POV-Ray and those results are very impressive.

I tried LDD to POV-ray, and while it should do everything I need, I like the tech know-how to use it.

1395440177m_SPLASH.jpg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users