Set Review: 70721 Kai Fighter

Great review!

When we first saw pics of this set, I thought it looked great, but worried that it wouldn't be able to top Jay's Storm Fighter from 2012. I'm still not totally convinced it does, but it sure is a sweet-looking set anyway. Having the ninja hairpieces is amazing (of the old ones, some were rare, like Zane's, and some, like Lloyd's and Kai's, had never been produced. Overall I like this year's motifs, since they feel more in-line with the playful anachronism of the show than some previous years had.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Good review!

"TS" could be Torben Skov, a designer for 20+ years, who's had a hand in many different LEGO themes. BIONICLE fans might remember him as the designer of the Piraka Stronghold, but he more recently designed Equila's Ultra Striker for Legends of Chima, and one of his major credits is that he was the creator of Octan, the LEGO universe's ubiquitous oil company.

Good review... but I have to say that I'm not sold. Aside from the gold pieces and the back piece that holds the swords (which can be found in cheaper sets), there doesn't really seem to be anything that really stands out. It doesn't help that the main function is kind of silly.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Great review.

It's a nice set, but I think I'll pass.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

One other correction I should make about the General Cryptor minifigure — you say "most of these elements are reused for all the nindroids in the sets this year", but this is not entirely accurate. The Nindroid Warrior reuses the mask and legs, and the Min-Droid reuses the mask, but that's all. The face, torso, and shoulderpads are exclusive to General Cryptor, and the Nindroid Drone minifigure doesn't use ANY of the same parts as General Cryptor.

Like every BZPower review, I enjoyed it, but I'm not getting it unless Christmas makes me lucky enough. I'm gonna be using money for a Christmas present for my brother and I'm saving about $25 for March (you can all guess why). Sure, I'd might like to have this set, but it's just that my money situation is in the way.

Anybody else notice that Kai looks slightly like Strider Hiryu from the Strider game series?

mindeth the cobwebs

One other correction I should make about the General Cryptor minifigure — you say "most of these elements are reused for all the nindroids in the sets this year", but this is not entirely accurate. The Nindroid Warrior reuses the mask and legs, and the Min-Droid reuses the mask, but that's all. The face, torso, and shoulderpads are exclusive to General Cryptor, and the Nindroid Drone minifigure doesn't use ANY of the same parts as General Cryptor.

"Most" was not meant to imply "all". Particularly, I've noticed that there are differences between some of the torso designs, but I believe there's only one style of printed legs (the rest are just unprinted) and only one printed head that's used on all nindroids. (At least on the three sets I've got. If there's a difference, it's a pretty minor one.) The only really exclusive part is the shoulder armor. But all in all, there are a lot of reused elements in the baddies this year, and I didn't want to bog down the review with all the specifics, which is why I said "most."

But the reuse is not nessessarily a bad thing, especially if you want to build up a nindroid army. ;)

:music:

"Most" was not meant to imply "all". Particularly, I've noticed that there are differences between some of the torso designs, but I believe there's only one style of printed legs (the rest are just unprinted) and only one printed head that's used on all nindroids. (At least on the three sets I've got. If there's a difference, it's a pretty minor one.) The only really exclusive part is the shoulder armor. But all in all, there are a lot of reused elements in the baddies this year, and I didn't want to bog down the review with all the specifics, which is why I said "most."

But the reuse is not nessessarily a bad thing, especially if you want to build up a nindroid army. ;)

:music:

Cryptor's face print is VERY different from the others. It has mechanical details under his left eye, not just on his right. At least that's what the official pictures show. Which three sets do you have?

And yeah, the torsos are all different. I took issue with the "most" because he's a five-piece figure and from all appearances, only two of those pieces are shared with any other figs.