Toy Fair 2014: Marvel Superheroes

TF14_Marvel_Superheroes_teaser.jpg

LEGO continues to maintain the Marvel Superhero license, which means a whole bunch of new sets. Spiderman is the star of the line, but Captain America and some of the other Avengers make an appearance too, as well as the X-Men, which makes for a good variety. And don't forget Guardians of the Galaxy! Read on to see what's in store!

View the full article

That Electro minifig looks really cool! Same for the X-Men set too. The Green Goblin though...lets just say that that isn't what would come to my mind when I think of its minifig. Its kind of looks like a meaner version of the Hulk, but thats just me.

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Even as somebody who has never watched any of the X-Men movies, seen any of the TV shows, or read any of the comics (well, OK, I read a few, such as their debut issue, an old Teen Titans crossover, and Marvel 1609)... I love that Blackbird. It looks very much like the Blackbird does in many of the pics I've seen online, only a tad bit more colorful. I'm impressed with just how well the LEGO Group captured its distinctive streamlined shape. The Sentinel also looks quite nifty. Good balance of detail and blockiness to keep him looking reasonably consistent with the theme's minifigure characters. The minifigures are excellent themselves, and really true to the versions of the characters I'm familiar with (with a minor exception for Wolverine, whose costume has his classic maroon stripe rather than the blue stripes I'm familiar with from most X-Men merchandise).

I don't feel too strongly about any of the other sets. The Guardians of the Galaxy set looks pretty accurate compared to other, less heavily stylized models of the same ship which I saw at Toy Fair, but I know next to nothing about that franchise.

X-Men is one of those franchises that I often really feel like I should follow more closely, though. It has a fantastic pro-diversity message that really speaks to me as a learning-disabled person. I love the notion that these characters who are rejected from their society as strange or different have come together and learned to use their differences to help prove their value to the world.

I actually like the Captain America set; it seems pretty well priced for a full sized vehicle and motorcycle.

The X-men set is probably the best though, even if I do wish the Sentinel was bigger :P.

"So I'm TL now?"

"Yeah, 'cuz if we said it the other way it'd have to be TLhiKHAAN!!"