Martian Merch in March Market and More

J

The LEGO Stores and Shop at Home strive to always find a deal for buyers, but March seems to stand out in particular. First, you can expand your Justice League collection by simply making a purchase of $75 or more. This will yield you a <a href='http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Free-Gift?CMP=EMC-VIP2014_03_02_Store_Cal_F_US&HQS=Promo1&RRID=2295704&RMID=SAH_2014_03_02_Store_Mar_Cal_NA' target='offsite'>free Martian Manhunter minifig</a>, previously seen in the LEGO Batman games and movies. Next, there are a handful of perks for going to your local LEGO Store, as a <a href='http://stores.lego.com/en-us' target='offsite'>store calendar</a> will note. Merely buying a Legends of Chima set gets you Ewar's Acro Fighter! March is shaping up to be a good deal!

View the full article

This set marks a milestone, in that now all the original members of the Justice League are depicted in Lego. Of course, Green Lantern is still only available as a movie-styled and mega-expensive Comic Con promo fig, but the key light of him shown at Toy Fair suggests that a comic-styled version (that would presumably be more widely available) may be coming in the near future.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

This set marks a milestone, in that now all the original members of the Justice League are depicted in Lego. Of course, Green Lantern is still only available as a movie-styled and mega-expensive Comic Con promo fig, but the key light of him shown at Toy Fair suggests that a comic-styled version (that would presumably be more widely available) may be coming in the near future.

I really hope he comes in a set soon so it will be relatively reasonable to have all the original members collected! I'm surprised DC didn't ask LEGO to make something when the recent cartoon was popular. A Green Lantern Corps battle pack versus a Red Lantern Corps battle pack would have been good in my mind.

-CF

Edited by ChocolateFrogs

nexo_shields_9.jpg

I really hope he comes in a set soon so it will be relatively reasonable to have all the original members collected! I'm surprised DC didn't ask LEGO to make something when the recent cartoon was popular. A Green Lantern Corps battle pack versus a Red Lantern Corps battle pack would have been good in my mind.

-CF

No toy company wanted to make Green Lantern toys, and no toy store really wanted to stock them, when the cartoon was out. This was because the recent movie had been so unsuccessful in terms of both box office results, ratings, and merchandise sales.

The Green Lantern cartoon's inability to sell related merchandise is, according to some reports I've read, one of the reasons it got cancelled. After all, merchandising is where a lot of the money in modern cartoons comes from. Just one of those unfortunate realities of the business.

This lingering distrust of certain brand names or IPs in the toy industry is also part of why BIONICLE was cancelled when it was. The LEGO Group could perhaps have continued BIONICLE until it completely ran out of profitability, but if you were the LEGO Group, what would you rather retailers remember BIONICLE as? "That theme that sold really successfully for so many years"? Or "That series of shelfwarmers we couldn't get rid of"? Only one of those options makes "We created BIONICLE!" something that the LEGO Group will be admired for. Already some AFOLs mistakenly think of BIONICLE as a failure. If retailers started to think the same thing, then the LEGO Group would have a much harder time selling them on new initiatives.