Build A Ninja: Ninjas In Space Game

xccj

ninjago-game-00.jpgGame Link

ninjago-game-01.jpg

So, this is my game entry for the Ninjago contest. I've been working on it for a couple of weeks now, and I've had the idea since the contest was announced. It's fairly simple, but it got the basic amount of gameplay that I wanted in.

ninjago-game-02.jpg

The first step is to design your own Ninjago character. You can select from different styles out outfits, choose your elements, weapons, hair, and head covers, and also select your color, which includes shades that you couldn't come by in sets! Furthermore, I added a gender selection too, so each outfit has a design for both males and females, which was honestly the most fun to work on! All in all, there are over 300,000 combinations that can be pulled off here, so you can truly make your own unique Ninja, or try to redesign one of the characters.

ninjago-game-03.jpg

The next step is to battle enemies in different locations. You get bonus points based on your attributes depending on what location you are in or what enemy you are facing. Thus, some combinations are better than others, but often only in certain situations! You can challenge a random enemy in a random location, and keep track of your score in the main window.

ninjago-game-04.jpg

WHAT IS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE

Originally this was going to be more of a campaign game, where you still design your ninja, but you have a limited number of options. You would cycle through opponents by year, and after so many wins, you would progress to the next year, and get upgrades! Alas, this was a bit more than I could draw / code given the time, so I stuck to a simpler version of the game.

WHAT IT COULD STILL BE

I have some more enemy characters I would like to add, and there's always the potential to add more outfits, hairstyles, weapons, ext. I also like the idea of adding some permanent bonus features, like after 10 wins, you can unlock Sensei Wu's beard and get +2 bonus points against all enemies. It would also be cool to add a print feature so people could save their ninja character designs, but for now their best bet is to just print-screen it. I would also like to add some basic animations to the characters while they stand before the battle, particularly the enemies, to allow the movement to better define their characters. Such example would be to have Scale's eyes spin or for Frakjaw to threateningly swing his axe.

All the characters and fig elements are based off the actual Lego designs and proportions, although there's a bit of leeway here and there. The backgrounds come from various form of Ninjago media (as well as a certain Flash game from another 2001 Lego theme). Rather than straight up trace them or use unedited images, I chose to vectorize them in illustrator before adding them to the game.

Anyway, let me know how you enjoy the game. Big thanks to Swert for putting up with all my "HEY WANNA TEST A GAME" messages.

:music:

Edited by xccj
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...