What don't you like about CCBS?

jmflem

Workbench, really? It once ment "tool"? Huh.

Yepp, "intrument" or "tool"- that's were the pipe organ gets its name, too.

The organs in living bodies are named so, because of their specific funtions. They are the machinery, the "instruments" of living beings. That's why nowadays the term "organic" is sometimes more colloquially used to describe things that look like they are biological in nature.

Organic chemistry was originally the study of chemicals found in living being's organs, then scientists realized that these chemicals could be found in non-living nature as well, and that the vast majority of these chemicals were carbon-hydrogen compounds, so the field was eventually unified to include all such compounds, regardless of origin.

I agree here - they look like glass or colored clear plastic, like cases for robot wires and suchnot. 

Either that, or used in excess they make the figure look like a spirit ghost. 

Not that is bad, mind - I actually think that's a cool looking design feature.

I had not looked at the parts in that light, but now I can absolutely see where you are coming from.
  • Upvote 1

Intresting... I am not a chemist (or a musician) so I was unaware of this. I am more into biology.

But anyway, I have to admit, Onuas purple does look nice. But I find Lewas greens to be too "watered down". I think a darker sage green (aka Matau green) would have looked better, considering he's jungle now.

Intresting... I am not a chemist (or a musician) so I was unaware of this. I am more into biology.

But anyway, I have to admit, Onuas purple does look nice. But I find Lewas greens to be too "watered down". I think a darker sage green (aka Matau green) would have looked better, considering he's jungle now.

I think it's possible we could see characters in that color down the road, but you should also take into account how brightly colored the other Toa are. If Lewa were a darker color he would seem a little out of place and less of a part of the team. I also like the green LEGO chose for him, but that's completely my own opinion.

Same here, that's why I studied it at the university. But you can't study biology without some serious chemistry, physics and math, too. We biologists aren't just watching weeds grow all day, after all.

Well, let's take a peek:

20150430_134213_1.jpg

I think it looks a bit drab and lifeless. But to each their own.

However, I think this illustrates a nice advantage of the unified interchangeability of the CCBS system.

Edit: The dark green looks cool for a Lewa possessed by a Skull Spider, though.

Edited by WorkbenchManiac
  • Upvote 1

Your welcome. :)

Well technically, bones are made of... Na, I won't get all technical.

But I still think trans-bones are more machine like. I don't know why.

Like fuel flowing through the body?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/colorslive/png/268538-HmQYCWXJloqJDQK_.png

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

What I don't like about it is that it has no detail at all.  And its supposed to be for little kids.

You are aware that we are, in fact, talking about a line of children's toys? Bionicle is made entirely for little kids.

*Says the 29 year old before happily fiddling with his toys.

Something being made for children should not be seen as a stigma, and conversely not everything made fo adults is to be praised. 

To paraphrase C.S.Lewis:" What could be more childish than to desperately want to be grown up?"

Not OLD BIONICLE.  THAT was for teens.  The new ones are for little kids.  Google the aduience for both Old and new BIONICLE

What I don't like about it is that it has no detail at all.  And its supposed to be for little kids.

isn't... all of Lego primarily for kids? :0

So how do I get me some modern Technic panels?

Of more import: are said panels available in LDD? What parts am I looking for? Too many to list?

there's an entire LDD tab for technic panels, can't recall what the logo for that tab is though. :t

@Italic, Not OLD BIONICLE.  Google the aduience for both new and OLD Bionicle.

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

You are aware that we are, in fact, talking about a line of children's toys? Bionicle is made entirely for little kids.

*Says the 29 year old before happily fiddling with his toys.

Something being made for children should not be seen as a stigma, and conversely not everything made fo adults is to be praised. 

To paraphrase C.S.Lewis:" What could be more childish than to desperately want to be grown up?"

Not OLD BIONICLE.  THAT was for teens.  The new ones are for little kids.  Google the aduience for both Old and new BIONICLE

But... wasn't old Bionicle was made to DEVELOP along with the kids? Also, an audience preference is not a stigma. The stigma should be if it doesn't fit the target audience.

• Upvote 1

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Gipsy, your last comment reads like a broken record. But I humored you and did in fact google "audience for old bionicle". I took the liberty to correct the spelling to get better search results. The first result are a few people complaining on the Lego forums about meaningless quibbles like masks giving "elemental powers" instead of "special mask abilities" being somehow worse, for some incomprehensible reason. The next results are Wikipedia's Bionicle article, some bloke on reddit and a rotten tomatoes review of a Bionicle movie, 

If this is your idea of substantiating your argument, it's very much lacklustre.

Instead, I turned to the old packaging of the 2001 Bionicle toys. Their age recommendation was 7+. Compare that to the current recommendations on Bionicle sets, which range from 6-12 on Protectors to 8-14 on the larger sets. I fail to see an appreciable difference.

Now, I realize that I am most likely having this conversation with someone about half my age, so please don't think I'm trying to be hostile. As I have said to DecepticonWarrior before, it is OK to not like the new stuff and to express that view. Just try to do so more cogently. You are doing yourself and the points you are trying to make a disservice.

• Upvote 4

The original target audience for Bionicle was not teens. Every piece of product as far as I can remember listed ages as 7+, 7-16 or in the case of Bionicle Stars 6-16.

~60% of the age range is younger than teens. "Little kids" were always the main crowd, and teens were invited too.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 3

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

~60% of the age range is younger than teens. "Little kids" were always the main crowd, and teens were invited too.

TLG's Marketing for G2 - Kids

"hey, look kids, we have a new toyline with elemental robots! This one controls fire, and he has a golden mask and he battles this spider that can take him over!"

TLG's Marketing for G2 - Us

"Psst, Remember Bionicle?"

Everybody's welcome at the TLG Toy Table. Remember the Lego Movie where the moral was a father and son embracing creativity?

• Upvote 4

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Wow! Glad to see how well this topic got back on track after all that drama.

Regarding transparent bones and their durability, I was surprised to learn that there is actually no material difference between them and solid bones! CCBS shells and bones are not composed of ABS plastic like standard Lego bricks, but rather are all made of polycarbonate, the same plastic Lego uses for the vast majority of transparent parts. In fact, the same applies to most "hard plastic" Technic parts, including classic Bionicle joints—so while I once considered transparent joints to be more fragile, that was probably more a factor of the fragility of most classic joints (particularly the 7M double Y-joint, which even before being redesigned seemed significantly more fragile than the old "rectangular" Y-joints). That, combined with the relative scarcity of those transparent bones (appearing mainly in Jaller Inika, Matoro Inika, Nocturn, and Takadox) probably gave the impression of those joints being uncharacteristically fragile.

Regarding the target audience of the classic Bionicle, it wasn't much different from the target audience of the current sets. It is true that as the years went on the story got darker, but it's hard to tell how much of that was trying to hold on to an older audience and how much of it was just trying to appeal to children who felt "too cool" for regular Lego, something Bionicle arguably had been doing since the start. If anything, that's the biggest difference in the marketing of the old and new themes—with Lego more popular than ever across all age groups, the new Bionicle has less impetus to separate itself from its parent brand.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Same here, that's why I studied it at the university. But you can't study biology without some serious chemistry, physics and math, too. We biologists aren't just watching weeds grow all day, after all.

Well, let's take a peek:

20150430_134213_1.jpg

However, I think this illustrates a nice advantage of the unified interchangeability of the CCBS system.

I don't watch weeds, I lean more twards zoology and paleozoology. :)

I respect your opinion, but I find that the dark green really makes the gold pop, although I can see how it would look drab with at that grey.

Btw, can the wings attach to his back? Like a jet pack, ala Vakama?

Not according to the instructions, though I'm sure you could figure out how to do something like that. The intended use is to take his axe heads and connect them to his forearms, as in the above picture. It basically turns his arms into wings, like an airplane kinda thing. And as you can see from the pieces there's turbines in them, which wouldn't really work like a jet pack. And also seeing how Lewa controls air (yes I know he's the Master of Jungle now but he can actually still control air in addition to plants, a fact which a lot of people seem to overlook), he doesn't really need a jetpack. I more picture him syphoning air through the turbines with his powers, which is pretty cool when ya think about it :)

Also, I'm curious, do you own any of the new sets?

Edited by jmflem
  • Upvote 1

There is no way around the weeds if you want to be a proper biologist, my friend. You need the basics in all fields of study.

But I admit that the botany part is not exactly the most interesting... spending entire afternoons in a lab, identifying different species of gras, not exactly "thrilling".

I respect your opinion, but I find that the dark green really makes the gold pop, although I can see how it would look drab with at that grey.

Sure, the contrast between the gold and te dark green works, you could even replace the armor add-ons with the gold versions.

jmflem already covered this quite thoroughly, so no, not without at least some modification to the build. I did something similar with Gali's large pieces, because I am not keen on the huge axe, but wanted to store the flippers on her back.

Workbench, I didn't say I "got around plants" I just don't specialize in them.

Jmflem, so you can't MoC them onto his back? I find the wing arms to be weird.

While we are on the subject of Gali, I find her use of gold to be the worst. It's too envocitive of the Glatorian line.

I sort of missed the whole discussion about transparent parts, but for me, the transparent parts of the G2 sets perform about the same function as the transparent parts in some of the Toa Inika — they make the characters in question seem like their bodies are coursing with energy. So rather than feeling more organic or more mechanical to me than the other beams and shells, those parts actually feel more magical.

That's actually a big part of what LEGO uses transparent parts in other themes for as well — to convey a sense of magic or energy (example: energy crystals in Power Miners, treasure rings in Atlantis, moonstones in Monster Fighters, etc).

I'm not too particular about which parts of the G2 sets are mechanical or organic. Obviously I feel like the parts with obvious mecahnical details like pistons or shooters are mechanical, but how much organic material there is underneath really doesn't make a difference to me. The characters could even be fully mechanical and I wouldn't bat an eye.

I actually liked the Glatorian line in terms of color schemes, and only one of those sets even used gold anyway. I think the Toa's color schemes are generally quite nice. The only thing that especially bothers me about them is that Lewa is the only one without any transparent parts. But even so, he's a good looking set in his own right, he just doesn't completely fit in with the rest of the team.

• Upvote 2

oh it does. ^_^

I typed "skeleball" into eBay and it came up with several different shapes of quartz crystal. So no, it does not exist. Try using CCBS. It sounds better and requires less character space.

Also, I don't see your point with Gali having too much gold. If you don't have the Gold Mask on, then there is no gold at all. Please explain. 

• Upvote 1

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

its my term for ccbs. I personally think it sounds better, as the system IS a skeletal frame with ball connectors. its also far easier to pronounce. :P

she dosnt have too much gold, she has gold, which dosnt mesh with the blue, overall, I find the decision to give the toa gold parts to be a poor one.

Edited by Decepticonwarrior

its my term for ccbs. I personally think it sounds better, as the system IS a skeletal frame with ball connectors. its also far easier to pronounce. :P

she dosnt have too much gold, she has gold, which dosnt mesh with the blue, overall, I find the decision to give the toa gold parts to be a poor one.

Gali has one optional mask that's gold. The actual set doesn't have any gold at all. Same goes for Lewa and Pohatu. They come with the gold masks as an extra basically.

Edited by jmflem
  • Upvote 1

Workbench, I didn't say I "got around plants" I just don't specialize in them.

Jmflem, so you can't MoC them onto his back? I find the wing arms to be weird.

While we are on the subject of Gali, I find her use of gold to be the worst. It's too envocitive of the Glatorian line.

Please take the time to read what I said. I said you CAN make your own if you wanted to, it would require some modification and extra parts though. Also I explained how the wings can be seen as not-weird. But that's mostly personal preference.

ok ok,ill take it back then, if that's how you feel about it.

It's not how we feel, it's a fact that the gold masks are an optional extra :P

Well, let's take a peek:

20150430_134213_1.jpg

1: That's actually not gold. It's sort of a Keetongu yellow (I know because I have the set in hand).

2: They can not, because of the gearbox.

1: That's actually not gold. It's sort of a Keetongu yellow (I know because I have the set in hand).

2: They can not, because of the gearbox.

You could definitely figure something out with extra pieces though.

Edited by jmflem
  • Upvote 1

oh it does. ^_^

I typed "skeleball" into eBay and it came up with several different shapes of quartz crystal. So no, it does not exist. Try using CCBS. It sounds better and requires less character space.

Also, I don't see your point with Gali having too much gold. If you don't have the Gold Mask on, then there is no gold at all. Please explain.

Real talk—do people actually use the term CCBS in eBay lots? Gotta say, if so, I'm impressed. I think you'd find more results with just "Bionicle" or "Hero Factory", though. Or better yet, go straight to Bricklink—their Bionicle and Hero Factory categories are more likely to give you exactly the parts you're looking for.

Also, Gali technically has one gold part other than her mask—the spear on one end of her trident. But I don't think that's "too much" by a long shot.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother