Bionicle Cad Software?

UltraHau

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would you guys like a CAD suite (akin to LDD) custom-made for Bionicle? I've been thinking about creating such a project for quite some time (around 1 1/2 years), and I'm wondering whether anyone else would be interested in actually seeing such a project get started.I (or anyone else who would want to help) would supply the parts library, but if you wanted to model your own custom parts, you could. As for rendering, an open-source 3D renderer (like POVRay or Luxrender) could be bundled with the program, so users wouldn't have to mess with the low-level details of rendering. What if you wanted to use a System part? Simple. There is a standard file format for Lego CAD models - simply adding the freely available LDraw parts library to the custom Bionicle one would give you practically all System pieces produced during the past 15-25 years, if you so chose.Why not extend LDD? Again, simple. We can't. It is a closed-source program - I (or any other programmer) cannot modify its behavior, or add new pieces; otherwise, I would have recommended this.P.S: I have the programming know-how to code this thing, so whether or not someone will make + maintain this project is not a problem.

Edited by UltraHau

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I'm saying "no" just based on how I understood the question. A BIONICLE-specific CAD program would be pretty weak IMO, especially if it relied on fans to make it and render the parts (Some of the renders I've seen on Brickshelf are very good, but others are very, very bad). What if you wanted to use a System part that wasn't in the program?I'm also a big fan of LDD, and it already has several very useful parts in LDD Extended mode. Its BIONICLE parts aren't as comprehensive as its Hero Factory parts, but still I'd much rather see that increase its part palette as it has been doing for the past few years than have an entirely separate, fan-made software just for BIONICLE.

I'm saying "no" just based on how I understood the question. A BIONICLE-specific CAD program would be pretty weak IMO, especially if it relied on fans to make it and render the parts (Some of the renders I've seen on Brickshelf are very good, but others are very, very bad). What if you wanted to use a System part that wasn't in the program?I'm also a big fan of LDD, and it already has several very useful parts in LDD Extended mode. Its BIONICLE parts aren't as comprehensive as its Hero Factory parts, but still I'd much rather see that increase its part palette as it has been doing for the past few years than have an entirely separate, fan-made software just for BIONICLE.

No, I (or anyone else who would want to help) would supply the parts library, but if you wanted to model your own custom parts, you could. As for rendering, an open-source 3D renderer (like POVRay or Luxrender) could be bundled with the program, so users wouldn't have to mess with the low-level details of rendering. What if you wanted to use a System part? Simple. There is a standard file format for Lego CAD models - simply adding the freely available LDraw parts library to the custom Bionicle one would give you practically all System pieces produced during the past 15-25 years, if you so chose.Why not extend LDD? Again, simple. We can't. It is a closed-source program - I (or any other programmer) cannot modify its behavior, or add new pieces; otherwise, I would have recommended this.EDIT: I'll add this info to the top of the topic. Edited by UltraHau

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

No, I (or anyone else who would want to help) would supply the parts library, but if you wanted to model your own custom parts, you could. As for rendering, an open-source 3D renderer (like POVRay or Luxrender) could be bundled with the program, so users wouldn't have to mess with the low-level details of rendering. What if you wanted to use a System part? Simple. There is a standard file format for Lego CAD models - simply adding the freely available LDraw parts library to the custom Bionicle one would give you practically all System pieces produced during the past 15-25 years, if you so chose.Why not extend LDD? Again, simple. We can't. It is a closed-source program - I (or any other programmer) cannot modify its behavior, or add new pieces; otherwise, I would have recommended this.EDIT: I'll add this info to the top of the topic.
The thing I was worried about in terms of rendering (I may have used the wrong words) was actually programming the shapes, boundaries, and connection points of BIONICLE parts. BIONICLE parts are very high-detail compared to most System parts, and although there are plenty of complex System parts on LDraw, there are also lots of AFOLs programming those parts. BIONICLE fans have always been a minority among AFOLs, and now that BIONICLE has ended there are probably even fewer BIONICLE fans with sufficient experience to program the shapes of all the parts in the theme's nine-year run.Good point about possibly importing LDraw parts to allow for System integration. But as for me, I'd prefer to just wait for an LDD update, and if none comes, amuse myself with the parts that are available. I'm more comfortable with LDD than with other LCAD software, and I'm not confident that one with a BIONICLE focus could be pulled off well without official support from TLG.

This would be pretty cool to have, so I'm voting yes. But I'm not sure how much I'd use it. I prefer being able to hold my MOCs in my hands, if you know what I mean.

I agree with you. It's easier to keep track of changes you've made to a MOC until you get it into a final version you want to build with CAD software. Plus, the software could also generate building instructions, so others can build your MOC, or if you forget how it goes together, you can refer to the instructions.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

This would be pretty cool to have, so I'm voting yes. But I'm not sure how much I'd use it. I prefer being able to hold my MOCs in my hands, if you know what I mean.

i too prefer a moc in my own hands, too, but this way, i wouldnt have to search for hours in my buckets full o' Lego Bricks and i would also have as many as a wanted. so i wouldnt have to destroy my old ocs to get pieces.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

• 2 weeks later...