Do U Think There Should've Been More To Bionicle?

Jonathan Crane

^ First, congratulations on the really eloquent post.Second, while I have to admire TLG's commitment to the effort they placed into ending it, they didn't actually end the story. That's what irritated me. The story serial plotline threads didn't end with the main plot thread. I am sorry if I did not make this clear - in fact, I am sure I didn't, and I apologize for it. By 2008, I wanted to get away from Bionicle, but I just wanted to know how the thing ended, and how we got there. I admired the plot twist at the end of 2008, it was awesome. The MU residents walking off into the sunset didn't annoy me as much as all the things that were left unresolved - the story serials are still going on, and there is still is stuff left unresolved there. I've been strung along and then left to wait for a resolution that will never come. TLG could have resolved the major story serial plot points and left room for a Bionicle return in the future - in fact, leaving those threads unresolved could cause problems if they ever try to bring it back, because the older fans will want to know, and those points will have to be resolved somehow (if they bring it back).When one ends a book, unless there is a sequel, you wrap up everything and leave the audience with a satisfying resolution that covers all relevant stuff. I could understand how the serial plot points would take a bit longer to resolve, but Lego has withdrawn all support from them, dumping GregF with an impossible task. TLG encouraged GregF to write the serials in the first place, but they didn't give him the wherewithal to finish them.This is all just my opinion on the matter. Should there have been more to Bionicle? No, there didn't need to be, but they needed to resolve what they had. And I think those who "wanted more Bionicle" would have taken their lumps and walked out had the serials actually been resolved in a satisfying manner. There would be a few Bring Back Bionicle dissidents, but not near as many, and a conclusion would have robbed them of numbers, since there would be fewer people around discussing Bionicle because there would be little to no major things unresolved to theorize about. Third, how much more would it have cost them to resolve the serials, to tell us what would happen to the people in the Chamber of the of the Mad Great Being and what happened to the Shadowed One and who the Golden Being was? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Maybe the Red Star would have taken a slightly longer resolution, but they have to drag it out, and drag it out, and drag it out! And now they have cut us off from a few simple answers that they could have given us without spending more money on a failing line.And if they hadn't given us the ending they had, people would have been furious, and no one would risk getting involved in a Lego franchise again (Look at all those Bionicle fans.Lego strung them along for ten years and couldn't even give them a decent ending) . People threatened to storm Billund over this ending. If Lego hadn't given Bionicle at least this ending, it might have actually happened.I'm sorry, I went off on a rant. I hope my point was made clear, and I don't mean anything against those who think differently, but this topic asked for what I thought, and I hope my readers have it.

I don't understand how an ending that leaves certain plot points open-ended is not a true ending. The main saga of BIONICLE came to a pretty reasonable conclusion, I feel, and most of the plots in the serials were only supplementary side-stories to begin with and not essential to the saga as a whole. Many big book series like Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, or His Dark Materials end and then continue to release supplementary material. Now, with that said, it still would have been good if TLG had been able to wrap up all of the serials' plotlines, but realistically how could they have? It's not as though they would have dragged on a dying product line longer just to allow time for Greg to close up all his sprawling plotlines.Additionally, for many who were fans of BIONICLE, TLG's gesture of continuing the serials on BIONICLEstory.com was a saving grace in the midst of what would otherwise be a great tragedy. Whether or not those plans have gone as intended, I don't think it's reasonable to assume a true, absolute conclusion would have satisfied enough fans to make a real difference. Some fans genuinely wanted the story to keep going past its logical conclusion, and some still do.The threats to "storm Billund" were a farce from the start. If people thought some silly demonstration by even five hundred unpleasable fans would somehow keep a dying brand around, they obviously didn't realize how a toy company like LEGO operates (or any company, for that matter-- many TV shows much more popular than BIONICLE have been cancelled and the networks cancelling them suffer almost no repercussions besides a bit of criticism). If the "storm Billund" thing had happened, it would have basically been a lot of noise, just like many more meaningful protests-- unless, of course, the more irrationally-obsessed fans began to expand into illegal activity, in which case police would take care of it just like in any unruly riot.The only risk TLG would have undertaken by not giving BIONICLE the conclusion they did would have been fans not moving on to other LEGO products, and since a lot of fans did exactly that and TLG's profits have only continued to improve, even that would have likely amounted to just a temporary setback. When BIONICLE was ended it was no longer of much financial importance to TLG, after all, so any impact on profits would have been negligible as long as new themes like Hero Factory continued to attract new fans. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Obviously I think BIONICLE had far more potential then it did through the years. The idea of having more movies and more frequent comics would have been better...and even updating the story serials more often.Even more in general, I think they could have ended the series better. I mean really, only two comics and then Poof! Gone!Not really a good way to even end the smallest of franchises!

Seems legit.

comet.jpg

Who wants to play Kolhii?

Obviously I think BIONICLE had far more potential then it did through the years. The idea of having more movies and more frequent comics would have been better...and even updating the story serials more often.Even more in general, I think they could have ended the series better. I mean really, only two comics and then Poof! Gone!Not really a good way to even end the smallest of franchises!

There was a full book titled "The Journey" released in some countries, and TLG actually released it for free online for the many fans who couldn't obtain a hard copy. I remember enjoying it a great deal.Having a big ending for something doesn't really work when the reason you're ending it is that its success is dwindling. After all, TLG was probably more concerned with initiatives that would continue making them money, rather than creating a lot of story media for the BIONICLE Stars.My only real regret is that there weren't any really cool Ghost animations. I'd have loved if the BIONICLE Stars animations, rather than that beautiful stop-motion, were done in CGI and told a cohesive story like the 2008 Mistika animations. But again, I don't know what the budget for that would have been or how much time it would have taken to produce.

I personally do wish there could have been more. I think we got our fair share of movies and sets. However, i do miss the serials and various visual representations of the storyline (i.e. comics).

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

more real titans, not like tuma and toa of twillightno movies =p, such cheap storyand GN 11

In my opinion, the 2008 Takanuva set is one of the best Titan sets in the whole BIONICLE theme, along with Brutaka from 2006 and Roodaka from 2005. How is he not a "real titan"?

No, I am glad they stopped, they dragged on the storyline far too long. They should have stopped in '08. Although, branching off into a new storyline would've been great.

more real titans, not like tuma and toa of twillightno movies =p, such cheap storyand GN 11

In my opinion, the 2008 Takanuva set is one of the best Titan sets in the whole BIONICLE theme, along with Brutaka from 2006 and Roodaka from 2005. How is he not a "real titan"?
Mata Nui Spec Edition is also pretty amazing. But Takanuva and Brutaka are my favorites outta akk of the sets.Please don't double-post. -Tufi Edited by Tufi Piyufi
Double post merged. -Tufi

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!