The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

I've got precisely nothing in place regarding IP except the general concepts laid out here in the topic (3 types of IP, all three should actually matter, one isn't technically industrial).

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Huh. The zerg are going be coming in? Fascinating. Too bad; Natsirt are effectively humans, but they're doing the part of the mystical stuff.And I guess I need to finish the maps for the draft. xD

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

So they're more Tyranids than Zerg...

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Maybe i'll have to throw a spin on mine and have them actually be half diplomatic when it suits them. Be very Flood Esque :PAssuming I go through with it, I have a few things i could do.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

Well, there's anything that might be trade-able, for starters. Then I believe we mentioned infrastructure on-planet, and then there's embassies on other worlds (Which would have to be built by somebody, after all) and little trinkets like concert halls to make people happier. Then, of course, if you want to go over-the-top with your government buildings, there's the construction for that.Then, of course, for agricultural stuff, you might be able to quantify the amount of food required to support x stage of y type of world (or moon-base, or whatever).

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Trading Vessels/Posts, Non-Military Refueling Stations, Embasies, etc etc.Nothing else comes to mind off the top of my head. go with Rover, he's smarter :P

All the things I said plus the things Kini just listed. Trading ships should not just be military ships, and they should actually cost something to build them, because common sense.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Useful materials from planets: technologies, food, wood, plastic, metals, radioactive materials, hydrogen, rock and roll, slave labor, mercenary forces, manufactured goods, arsonists, art, water, pastries, films, Daft Punk, ammunition, small arms, large arms, medicines, scientists...

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

The question wasn't about useful, it was about things that could be quantified in the industry system. You can't exactly make spiders from Mars on an assembly line.Also, Hydrogen isn't that common on rocky planets. If you want a steady supply of Hydrogen, you're either going to have to do hydrolysis (which will come out of your species-wide paycheck, believe me) or mine it from a gas giant (which will come out of your species-wide paycheck, believe me).

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I love how you have no problems with exporting arsonists...I think we're edging towards the too-complex edge of the spectrum...

-Rover

I think we're edging towards the it's going to work stop complaining side of the spectrum. Building an RPG with me at the helm is like playing an organ. The more stops you pull out, the more "wheeeeeee" is involved in the end.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Try not to get it too complicated Rover. While Strith is going have all that good trading and civilian stuff, it's going be dealt with on a case to case basis, not by some massive overarching structure that you have to reference every five seconds to play.Which leads me to another question; how'd it work for my nomad ships? I know I'm going be devoting a ton of my budget early on towards building giant ships for people to live on -we're talking kilometer long ships here-, but how does civilian happiness effect my peeps? As they aren't exactly like all the other aliens; my population believes that their worlds were destroyed by aliens, and as such they could care less whether or not they hear alien Van Halen's tracks. Now, there might be ships that my peeps go to for their own concerts, but still; civilian happiness wouldn't work the same on a nomad fleet as it does on a planet.And another question; will jumps be tracable? As if so, the moment my nomads are discovered there's no way for them to properly run without being followed, and that'd be really lame.

Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

A lot of this is going to be on a case-by-case basis. There's some base cost for a few things, but in truth, if you build something that's more (or less) expensive than the base cost for what it's under, I'll let you know about that.Civilian happiness will be very much on a case-by-case basis as well. No dice-rolls here, but I need something in the RPG profile explaining that civilian happiness happens.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Alright. Makes sense. And what to jump drives being tracable?

voidstars.png

They would create a traceable energy signature, but you would have to have a telescope looking at the right time to see it, as it would dissipate rather more quickly than, say, a solar flare.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

But wouldn't that mean that, with a fleet's worth of sensors scanning the area, if my main nomad fleet was ever found, my guys would never be able to outrun the enemy?

voidstars.png

If a whole fleet of ships were scanning in the exact area where the main nomad fleet was when the main fleet jumped, then running and hiding from those particular searchers would become more difficult, yes.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Ah well; I'll just have to use unconvential methods to escape them then. You said telescope when you were talking about it; I'm assuming there's some sort light or EM distortion that'd give you an idea of where they went? If so, dropping a tactical nuke would blind the EM sensors and allow one to jump to safety.

voidstars.png

Dropping a tactical nuke would generate a lot of static, but if you're going to use a nuke like that, might as well aim it at somebody before you launch it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Obviously; I'm not just going to jetison off a nuke and not try to hit something with it.. I imagine even in the future those things are expensive, so might as well try to kill someone with it while you're escaping.Funny; I'm playing as xenophobes who would like to see every alien they don't know/trust dead, yet the ships I'm thinking of are civilian; I've barely begun thinking about military vessels. Good to see Rover, that even without a draft, you've already caused people -or at least, myself- to think outside of military might and ponder the civilian side of things.

voidstars.png

The important thing is, by analyzing the jump signature, can you tell where the target ended up?

-Rover

The important thing is, by analyzing the jump signature, can you tell where the target ended up?

...If you couldn't the whole debate above is moot. Pretty sure when Rover said 'it'd be hard to hide from them', it was heavily implied would could tell where someone went.

voidstars.png

For all the people who sent me stuff for Strith Karl and haven't gotten responses for everything/anything yet, life is kind of shoving things down my throat AND I think there might be a couple things that need to be cleared with Alex, but I'm not entirely certain because I haven't even looked at a profile in several days.

Edited by Kothra: Sweetroll Thief
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

Well, you are ripping a hole in the fabric of reality between two different locations. So, yeah, it should be possible to tell where they went.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Oh, so it's ripping holes in reality this time around? Good to know. So not just 'you're in one place, bamft, you're in another'. Still, a tactical nuke or two should be plenty to cover your tracks, and the mother fleet of the Natsirt will certainly have a few ready.

voidstars.png

Personally, I think a nuke is overdoing it; just have every transmitter in the fleet broadcast white noise on every possible frequency at the maximum intensity. There'll be a big flash of WHAT IS THAT but it'll be pretty much impossible to spot the Jump Radiation from the whole EM blast.

-Rover

Maybe, but it's better safe than sorry. Besides, a nuke carries over much of the EM spectrum; I don't have transmitters that transmit exotic radiation types, whereas a nuke does. It doesn't even need to be that big of a thermonuke; half a megaton is fine for these purposes.The ultimate security is simply just not being followed back to the mother fleet. If no one knows where you are, they can't very well attack.

voidstars.png

I am still firm in my support of antimatter over nuclear in pretty much all circumstances.That being said, the Reverene highly prefer laser-ignited fusion, and are too careful to really trust antimatter, since they lack the Containment Metal the Syrrinx had.

Edited by King Of Shadows

-Rover

Magical materials, it should be noted, will not exist in this game. Therefore, antimatter will be an expensive and risky business.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Presumably the several hundred years' worth of refinement will make electromagnets simple and reliable technology.CM: Begin contemplating the merits of ANTIMATTER FUSION.

-Rover

Electromagnets are already simple and reliable. It's just getting them more powerful, which between just plain advances in coiling and cooling should be plenty fine.Antimatter fusion sounds stupidly expensive; you can't fuse antimatter and matter together, so you have to do one or the other. Antimatter fusion would be exactly like matter fusion, except considerably more dangerous and stupid.EDIT: Stupid typos completely changing the meaning of my rants.

voidstars.png

Yes, that's true, but at the same time it's really, really, really cool.Anyway, I've pretty much nailed down how I want to play the Reverene. Soon as we get profiles I can crank stuff out.

-Rover

I do truely hope we aren't going to allow things that are virtually impossible just because they're cool, Rover.Just as a question though, exactly how hard is the science in this going to be?

Alright, I'd like to present to you the new, improved, and (hopefully) final draft of the MLP RPG! We took the suggestions we got here and implimented them as best we could, and we'd just like to see if you guys think there's any more work that needs to be done before we move to the approval topic.

:)MY LITTLE PONYDRAGONS IN EQUESTRIAMany years ago...Dragons had lived in the land of Equestria long before the Ponies lived there. When the Ponies arrived, the dragons accepted the strange creatures to their lands. For the first years, they lived together in peace, and the dragons were accepted as Peacekeepers in some towns. But they were feared.The Dragons eventually became angry at the Ponies that feared them, and became the very creatures that the ponies said they were.They destroyed the towns that the Ponies had built, and were almost at the point of pushing them out of Equestria all together.The ruler of the Ponies, Princess Celestia, instructed the great mage, Janus Starweave, to construct a spell that can expel the Dragons from the lands. He eventually finished this task, but determined it would absorb all of his energy.This spell would have to be used on the King of the Dragons, Darkfang the Ultimate. Only by doing this could all the dragons be expelled from Equestria.Janus Starweave, along with several other warriors, left to Darkfangs Keep, where they would use the spell to expel the dragons.It was said from one of the survivors of that group, that the battle that took place was simply spectacular."There, in the center of a ring of fire, Janus Starweave stood right in front of Darkfang the Ultimate. Janus had set a magical barrier that would repel Darkfang's attacks. Darkfang sent attack after attack at Janus Starweave, but the barrier deflected all of them as Janus recited the incantation, you could see his energy drain away."Darkfang the Ultimate was expelled from Equestria, including all of his draconic subjects, but at no small cost. Janus Starweave's energy was absorbed into the barrier that keeps The Dragons out of Equestria, and his Physical Body disintegrated.This energy could not last forever, and it was many years later that the Dragons began to slip in again.It wasn't long before the Dragons began to attack towns again.As soon as the Dragons were sighted again, Princess Celestia sent her best student, Twilight Sparkle, along with her friends, to Darkfang Keep, the battleground upon which Janus Starweave sacrificed his magical energy to expel the Dragons from Equestria.There, they attempted to use the Elements of Harmony to reseal the barrier.Simply put, this attempt did not work. Twilight Sparkle and the other keepers of the Elements barely escaped with their lives, as the dragons had invaded Darkfang's Keep.To this day, it is still unclear as to why the Elements didn't fix it. There have been some speculization about it, but no solid theories have surfaced.The failure of the Elements of Harmony resulted in measures needing to be taken. DRASTIC Measures.Princess Celestia began a group to keep Equestria safe from any and all attacks, mainly, but not limited to, dragons. The buffalo, whose mythology is filled with dragons, have joined forces with the giant monsters, as have some of the gryphons and zebras. This group, these "Peacekeepers", were trained by Twilight Sparkle and her friends.Time is getting short, and there's no Janus Starweave to save us now. BEGINNERS GUIDE TO EQUESTRIA

MAP

the_map.jpg

RACESThe land of Equestria is a strange and magical land, filled not with humans, but with talking ponies. There are four different kinds of ponies in Equestria, the types we will go through now.EARTH PONIESEarth ponies are strong and humble members of the pony race. They tend to be kind and gentle, with a touch of sillyness from time to time.PEGASIThe Pegasi are a winged race of ponies, responsible for controlling the weather in Equestria. They have the ability to walk on clouds as well. Pegasi are often brash and adventurous.UNICORNSUnicorns are the horned ponies of Equestria, with the ability to use magic. Unicorns sometimes have a tendancy to be self-centered.ALICORNSAlicorns have both wings and horns, allowing them to fly as well as use magic. Currently, the only known alicorns are the twin princesses of Equestria, Celestia and Luna.All ponies have a unique talent, something that is very special to them. That talent is represented by a mark on their flank called a Cutie Mark. In the case of unicorns, their magical talents are also tailored to their Cutie Mark, and limited to their talent.SIGHTS TO SEEEquestria is home to several different towns, which are detailed below. These are what are usually considered the main towns of Equestria, but are by no means the only towns.CANTERLOTThe Royal City of Equestria, the home to the twin princesses. Canterlot is a very sophisticated city.CLOUDSDALECloudsdale is home to the pegasi, and is the place where weather for all Equestria is made. It is built of and among the clouds, and as such, is a place only the pegasi can access.MANEHATTANManehattan is probably the most built-up city in Equestria, the hub for what's new and fashionable. It's a sophisticated city, but not as sophisticated as Canterlot.APPLEOOSAAppleoosa is a new settlement on the edges of Equestrias borders. It resembles an old Western town, and is mainly farmland, providing food for the rest of the country.PONYVILLEPonyville is an old, established town near the middle of Equestria, originally an apple orchard founded by the Apple family. It's grown into a thriving and bustling town, where ponies of all races can come and get along, no matter their background. In many ways, it's considered the crown jewel of Equestria.PONIES OF INTERESTThere are several 'ponies of interest' any newcomer to Equestria should be aware of, for one reason or another.CELESTIA AND LUNAAlso known as the twin princesses, these two have been ruling Equestria for thousands of years. Celestia is responsible for raising the sun and ruling the day, while Luna, the younger of the two, raises the moon and controls the night. Celestia is a kind a compassionate soul who loves her subjects, and Luna is... A bit of a misunderstood soul, sometimes seen as a monster, although she simply just wants to be loved by her subjects.TWILIGHT SPARKLETwilight Sparkle studies magic under princess Celestia. She's an intelligent pony who, sadly, didn't have any friends growing up. Her most recent assignment from Celestia has been to study the magic of friendship, and in doing so, she has discovered mystical items called the Elements of Harmony. Her magical talent is, redundantly, magic, and is illustrated by her Cutie Mark, a collection of sparkles. She respresents the Element of Magic.RARITYRarity is a unicorn who owns a dress shop in Ponyville. While on the outside she may seem selfish and uncaring, she is really a generous person. Her talent is fashion, represented my her diamond Cutie Mark. She represents the Element of Generosity.RAINBOW DASHRainbow Dash is a fun loving and adventurous pegasus, who is responsible for the weather over Ponyville. Although she seems very flighty at times, She's actually a very loyal pony. Her talent is speed, represented by her rainbow lightning bolt Cutie Mark. She respresents the Element of Loyalty.FLUTTERSHYFluttershy is a painfully shy pegasus, with a fear of heights. She is very soft spoken and never says a mean word about anypony. She runs an animal sanctuary just outside Ponyville. Her talent is talking to animals, represented by her butterfly Cutie Mark. She respresents the Element of Kindness.APPLEJACKApplejack is a southern Earth pony who helps run and operate Sweet Apple Acres, the orchard that provides Ponyville with the majority of its food. She's an outgoing and foward person, a straight shooter, as it were. Her talent is running Sweet Apple Acres, as represented by her apple Cutie Mark. She represents the Element of Honesty.PINKIE PIEPinkie Pie is a very interesting character. She is a fun-loving, outgoing, adventurous, lovable, and completely insane pony. She can talk about nothing for hours on end, is excited by the tiniest things, and laughs constantly. She works at Mr. & Mrs. Cake's Bakery in Ponyville. Her talent is party planning, represented by her ballon Cutie Mark. She represents the Element of Laughter.CREATURESEquestria also has many fabulous creatures living within its borders, some of which you may want to avoid.GRYPHONSOne of the few intelligent creatures besides ponies, gryphons are a mix of two different things: Eagles and lions. Their front half is that of an eagle, head, wings, claws, etc. The back half, the torso, hind legs, and tail, are that of a lion. Gryphons are very strong creatures, with the ability to fly. They also have a tendancy to be show-offs and arrogant.BUFFALOAnother of the intelligent creatures of Equestria, the buffalo inhabit the wild Buffalo plaines in the east of Equestria. They're large, fast, and strong. They used to coexist with the citizens of Appleoosa, but since the return of the dragons, the buffalo have become hostile towards the ponies, often attacking the supply trains connecting Appleoosa to the rest of Equestria.ZEBRASZebras are a very mysterious race. They seem to live in the Everfree forest, a place that cannot be touched by Equestria's magic. They create potions and medecines out of herbs and plants, often with magical-seeming effects.PARASPRITESParasprites are swarm creatures. They resemble a small ball of colored fluff with wings. Feed one, however, and it will rapidly multiply, each new parasprite hungry for practicly anything. If left unchecked, a swarm of parasprites could wipe out an entire town by eating everything in its path.TIMBERWOLVESGenerally regarded as magical creatures of the Everfree forest, not much is known about timberwolves. They're extremely territorial, seem to be made of wood, and herald the coming of zap-apple season. If you run across one in your travels, it's best to leave as soon as possible, before the pack decides to make a meal of you.HYDRAA multi-headed amphibious monster, very little is known about the Hyrda. Only one sighting has been made in recent history, in the swamp outside Ponyville. It is suspected to be territorial, and extremely dangerous. Legend says that if you cut off the head of a hydra, two more sprout to take its place.DRAGONSDragons have recently made a comeback to Equestria. The would have ruled the land at one time, were it not for their constant bickering. A magical spell discovered thousands of years ago banished them from the land, and they were thought to be gone forever. Dragons can breath fire, have razor-sharp talons, and are commonly up to 100 feet tall, although a dragons size and apparent age is directly dependant on the size of their hoard. Baby dragons, if their greedy tendancies are kept under control, can stay young and good indefinetly. If you come across a dragon, your best chance of surviving is to run the other way. As fast as you can.FACTIONSSo far, there are only two factions fighting for control of Equestria.PEACEKEEPERSThe special order created by the Twin Princesses and implimented by the Keepers of the Elements. Their goal is to stop the fighting in Equestria and either drive the dragons out, or make peace with them. Any of the intelligent species except Buffalo may join, and baby dragons only exist in the Peacekeepers faction, due to Celestia's strict control over dragon eggs.DRAGONSThe giant lizards that have not been seen by ponies in thousads of years. They want to reclaim Equestria for themselves, and destroy all the ponies. Gryphons, Zebras, and Buffalo may join the dragons, and the Buffalo race fights only for the dragons. There are a few ponies in the dragon army, but for the most part, the ponies have stayed loyal to Equestria. These species fight mainly out of fear of the dragons, and out of hope that, should the dragons win, they will be spared.Character Sheet Race (Earth Pony, Unicorn, Pegasus, Gryphon, Baby Dragon, Zebra, Buffalo):Name:Gender (Male or Female, obviously):Appearance:Faction (Peacekeepers, Dragons, neutral):Personality:Special Talent (If pony):Bio:Rules1: All BZP rules and guidlines apply!2: Sorry, but no playing as adult dragons! They're much too powerfull for just anyone to come and play as.2a: For the Dragons faction, playable races are Zebras, Gryphons, and Buffalo.3: No godmodding!4: No autohitting!5: Remember, your character is not invulnerable! Let them get hit from time to time.6: Only 2 characters per player!7: HAVE FUN!Stages of WarningI. WarningII. Warning and a Two Day SuspensionIII. Warning, and a Five Day SuspensionIV. Banishment

Edited by Toa Korkoa: Toa of plasma

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? Your grace."

"I know that one. 'Who watches the Watchmen?' Me, Mr. Pessimal."

"Ah, but who watches you, your grace?"

"I do that too. All the time."

If anyone would be interested in co-hosting a Discworld-themed RPG for OTC, please PM me!

The only impossible thing - well, the only thing that I know is impossible - that's going to be in this is jumping, and that's because it's absolutely necessary. Everything else has to be somewhat realistic.Out of curiosity, what gave you the impression that I was going to allow impossible things "just because they're cool"?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

'Twas more in responce to Xom, that bit - though the question on how hard the science will be was legitimate.

Ah. Well, while I'm fond of the Rule of Cool, Xom, you had better make sure the things you're giving me to approve are actually possible and, what's more, that they're practical, because I will make sure they're costing what they shouldAs for how hard the sci-fi will be, uh... Pretty much real science with jump-drives thrown in. Occasional shenanigans (why are all the aliens some kind of humanoid? because we are, at best, bored college students. None of us have the sort of degrees that give accurate knowledge of what extrasolar macrofauna would really be like, so we're MacGyvering things together from bits and pieces in our minds) will occur, but it's at least going to be possible, if occasionally pretty stupid.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom