The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

More stuffs. Sort of a subset of the ship section, really. Expect another sub-section later dealing with special ships (HPG, Garden, Foundry, other things.), and for satellites and other space stations to either get their own section or go in a third sub-section. Haven't decided yet.Also, Xom, there are advantages for a race having a fixed address, and, yes, the foundry ships have to gather resources from planets or asteroids or things. Garden ships are essentially self-contained.Weapons and Special Equipment: Ship EditionYou might have noticed that the form for ships had slots for weapons and special equipment. There’s a good reason for this. Weapons include anything that is used with the intent to damage things – ships, satellites, some hapless beagle floating in space, you get the picture. Special Equipment is things like radar-reflective armor (Won’t stop lasers!), reactive armor, any armor at all besides the absolute bare minimum, other nifty things you might think to put on the ship, a dedicated anti-missile system, or more nifty things.WeaponsName: It has to be called something.Functional Description: What’s it do, and what does it look like while doing it? This includes a description of what might be visible on the exterior of the ship.Size Estimate: How big do you think it should be? This doesn’t have to be precise and stuff, just an idea of whether it’s some bulky contraption or a relatively small other contraption. I can change this bit if I think I need to.Special EquipmentName: It has to be called something.Function: What does it do?Size Estimate: How big do you think it should be? As with weapons, this is subject to change by me.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

god it feels like a developers conference in here

>Planning topic>Bunch of RPG players, staff, and devolopers>You say that without a hint of sarcasmI'm liking the ship design stuff; expect a few things out of me soon enough.I do feel a bit uneasy about the whole 'right to reject your thing for no given reason' thing. You can't argue your stance if the other person doesn't argue theirs. Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

The main reason I put that in there is for those situations when someone I really don't want to waste time arguing with submits something truly awful. If I dissect all the reasons it's awful, they'll have an opening for a rebuttal. If I just tell them it's awful and not going to happen, they don't really have a leg to stand on.99% of the time, I'll tell you what's wrong with the design and let you fix it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I pretty much just read this entire topic, and I'm really liking all of this space stuff. Assuming this doesn't move at a ridiculous pace, then I wouldn't mind playing it.Now, I just have to decide if I will play as one of my alien species I already have, or if I will make a new species for this RP.Incidentally, what about life orbiting a brown dwarf star?

They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you. 

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

Come Tenno, you must join the war.

Hmm... Strong tides, probably high levels of geological activity...I'll make sure to put at least one brown dwarf system in.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Neutron Stars? Quasars? Vast nebulae?

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

We aren't close enough to the galactic core for quasars to be an issue, I'm not trusting you with a neutron star and you bloody well know why, nebulae are unlikely.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Same exact reason I didn't let you have neutron stars in Starscape. : PIf the Trenuans do come back, how are you going to handle telepathy?

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Telepathy relies on an electric field produced by the nervous systems of living things. Correctly interpreting the signals produced by creatures of your own species would be hard enough to learn - learning how to "read" the minds of an entirely new species would require a long time and very close contact/observation.The big deal with neutron stars is what happens when something impacts it. Big release of energy, scythes the area clean of all life, essentially.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

The problem with telepathy is, how are they picking up the changes? A refined version of the Electrosense that sharks use? Doesn't that only work through Saltwater?

-Rover

Yeah, pretty much, to both questions. Air generally isn't conductive enough for that.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

The Natsirt will be wearing encounter suits, so using telepathy on them will be like trying to hear a cat purring on the other side of a ten foot thick steel wall.Question; will you be enforcing technological advancement, so that when one race discovers something everyone else doesn't suddenly start on it too?

Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Uhh, that would mean enhancing the strength of the electrical field so the field from their nervous system reaches yours. If you're fine with killing them in the process, I suppose it's alright.And yes, if your new technology is suspiciously similar to something somebody else just came out with, I'll put my foot down. Remember also that IP will have to be put into R&D for a brief time before you can just pop out new tech.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Include a long horn or tail-like structure thick with Glial cells. In a human brain, these cells amplify electrical signals. See where I'm going with this?

-Rover

I see that you're still not going to get the electricity to go through the air in a strong enough current to be readable unless you make it visibly arc between the reader and the one being read.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Which would be really really cool, having a species talk with lightning. The Reverene won't do it, but I think the Trenuans should.And, long as they're going all lightning themed, we could have the El' Koru as a Trenuan servant race.

-Rover

Or we could, you know, not. We've got enough things being resurrected from previous games as it is without bloody thundercats.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Weren't they bloody cat-things with lightning or something like that?Anyway, the point of this game is not to relive all of the old stuff you did in the previous two. If you want to do that, just go read those two over again.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I agree with Rover. Even though I'm bringing the Natsirt back with their culture, they're going be pretty different. New religion, new ideals, new philosophies, new ships. New everything. They will no longer be space humans. They'll be this;vorlon.jpgAnd speak like the Reapers.You could try to bring your god jellyfish back but, maybe, more mellow with a more equal society?

voidstars.png

Personally, I was very annoyed by how the Treanuans were all, "Oh, we've got our big religion in which we're considered gods, and we just met you and you completely contradict our religion, but it's cool we aren't going to like, launch crusades to subjugate you or anything."As for my race.... eh, they aren't very uniform in appearance. Overuse of genetic engineering in order to further cement a rather strict caste structure tends to do that.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

So, what is the verdict on planet-side fighting again? Because if we do that, then the physiology and mentality of the species itself would be very important in fights.

They were called Tenno. Warriors of blade and gun: masters of the Warframe armor. Those that survived the old war were left drifting among the ruins. Now they are needed once more.

The Grineer, with their vast armies, are spreading throughout the solar system. A call echoes across the stars summoning the Tenno to an ancient place. They summon you. 

Allow the Lotus to guide you. She has rescued you from your cryostasis chamber and given you a chance to survive. The Grineer will find you; you must be prepared. The Lotus will teach you the ways of the Warframes and the secrets to unlocking their powers.

Come Tenno, you must join the war.

Planet-side combat will be important, as orbital bombardment is too likely to simply destroy things you'd probably rather capture.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Planetary forces should have their own IP system, dependent on the population of the planet in question along with its industrial output. I don't see any particular planet type that would produce more/better troops, so either making it constant across all types, or making a particular type focused towards ground troops would be a good idea.Army Points, which can be spent on troops (built at the Regimental level, if not Brigade,) Military vehicles, and troop transport ships.I also love how your industry system describes Gas Giants as "tiny"

Edited by King Of Shadows

-Rover

Eh, it's far more likely that I'll just make all military stuff part of the military IP. No need to over-complicate things.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I'm guessing we'd class Jupiter as a Ringed Giant(it has rings, but they're small relative to the world in question, I'm pretty sure Saturn's rings are uncommonly huge) whereas Neptune and Uranus would be Gas Giants(although aren't they technically Ice Balls according to the IAA?)

-Rover

Ice Giants are a sort of Gas Giant. It's all to do with the atmospheric composition, really.Honestly, I wasn't too keen on the Ringed Giants/Gas Giants dichotomy, but we're just going to roll with it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom